Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Increasing Distance Per Stroke

• 21-11-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been trying to increase my DPS for a while now. A few months back I used to take approx. 22-23 strokes per 25m which I've managed to get down to about 18-19 per 25m. Over any distance greater than 200m this drops back pretty quickly to 21-22 again.

If I really go for it with strong kicking and loads of dolphin kicks I can get it down to 14 but I don't think that really counts for much as I know I'm not really increasing my true distance per stroke. I'm just making up distance underwater.

My question is, what elements of the stroke have the largest impact on distance per stroke?

BTW, just to avoid confusion, I define 1 stroke as 1 pull.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

making your glide as efficient as possible is certainly the easiest way to improve DPS but I'm not sure if it has the biggest influence. Have you tried swim golf? I find it more useful than DPS.

http://swimming.about.com/cs/techniquetips/a/swim_golf.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Thanks, I'll try swim golf tonight, my times have been coming down considerably so I must be doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do some sculling to improve your LME on the small arm muscles, that'll help over distance, paddles help a good bit, I'm in Brisbane at the moment and most of the lappies over here use them, but its a 50m pool, which is a little bit different, but I'm doing a length in 33 strokes (11 breaths) and can hold it to 36 over a 200, Haven't tried Swolf in years. Will give it a go and put summat up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Do some sculling to improve your LME on the small arm muscles, that'll help over distance, paddles help a good bit, I'm in Brisbane at the moment and most of the lappies over here use them, but its a 50m pool, which is a little bit different, but I'm doing a length in 33 strokes (11 breaths) and can hold it to 36 over a 200, Haven't tried Swolf in years. Will give it a go and put summat up.

Would agree that paddles do help identify any short cuts you might be making as your hands enter the water - BUT - when it comes to paddles just be careful regarding upping load on your shoulders. As you're probably aware you can get different size paddles - http://www.swimshop.co.uk/category.asp?cat_id=HAND
    For building shoulder strength Id try the larger ones - the finger ones are sometimes useful when doing stroke work IMHO since alot of distance can be lost due to small things like fingers slightly spread or doing something quirky at the start of the stroke / glide.

Only injuries I saw in swimming over alot of time came from not stretching shoulders before using paddles.

Times are dropping ? always good - personally I wouldnt get too stressed about distance per stroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried swimming a bit more on my side the other night which made some improvements I think. I was swimming quite flat.
    Also a friend of mine is going to take a look at my stroke next time I'm in the water, which will be a while unfortunately. My earplugs (custom moulds) were a tiny bit too small and now I've got two ear infections to show for it! lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Let the manager of the pool you were in know about the ear infections, unless you're prone to them, they might need to up the chlorine for a bit

Advertisement