Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mark Ronson a phony??

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

His first album he released was a hip-hop and R'n'B enthused "Here Comes The Fuzz" was released in 2003. It spawned the popular single "Oooh Wee".
    Next we heard he was doing a covers album - "version". Released in 2007, it went platinum worldwide.

He can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard as well DJing. Rumour has it he is learning to sing...

Many dislike him for his treatment of classics on the album "Version". Ronson also holds the title of being the only person to remix Bob Dylan.

Is he the real deal?!? Or is he getting recognition off remixing others work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

idPlease wrote: »
    His first album he released was a hip-hop and R'n'B enthused "Here Comes The Fuzz" was released in 2003. It spawned the popular single "Oooh Wee".
    Next we heard he was doing a covers album - "version". Released in 2007, it went platinum worldwide.

He can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard as well DJing. Rumour has it he is learning to sing...

Many dislike him for his treatment of classics on the album "Version". Ronson also holds the title of being the only person to remix Bob Dylan.

Is he the real deal?!? Or is he getting recognition off remixing others work??
    What do mean by "real deal"? Love or hate his style he's still a talented producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What do mean by "real deal"? Love or hate his style he's still a talented producer.

One minute he dresses all hip-hop and is making rap records, next minute he is with lily allen.

I'm not saying he cant switch genres but to change everything so drastically...i'm just wondering does anyone else think he may be buying into a fad..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nah, he's got talent, but his sis is.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

To be honest, I find most of the remix work on Version that I've heard to be a tad phoney. I mean, it's all fairly simple Fruitloops work, with a few slick trumpets here and there and a roll call of very popular artists and songs.

Ekels: do you think it wouldn't have garnered as much publicity if he didnt have Amy Winehouse and others on it??

What do you think of his new production work - Kaiser Chiefs "never miss a beat"?

Do horns = Mark Ronson?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I have Here Comes the Fuzz, some nice tracks (the one with Saigon) but now he qualifies as a pop producer in my book. Rap Lite and R'n'B are basically pop. I don't know what you mean by him being a phoney.. I don't think anyone's hailing him as anything particularly great. From what I've heard of his recent stuff, it does seem to be rerecording with extra trumpets alright.

Some grammy awards and other accolades would suggest that people like him..plus the album went multi-platinum...

phoney in my book means that he is not being real, acting hip and cool, dressing a certain way etc etc...

ok so, if Mark Ronson isnt fake who is the "fakest" band out there - Linkin Park? Limp Bizkit? Kid Rock??

What constitutes "selling out" in your eyes??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Define selling out.

Thats what i'm saying...everyone has there own definition of selling out! Whats yours??:)

• Advertisement

Putting money above integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One thing he ain't, is Alternative/Indie.

He may not be but the music he covers is. so thats why i opened the thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

idPlease wrote: »
    He may not be but the music he covers is. so thats why i opened the thread here
    Joe Dolan done an album of Indie covers, would you post a review of that here? :pac:

I dont know i'm not really interested in Joe Dolan, no offence. And i wouldnt call this thread a review..the album has been out for over a year and a half at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stingray75

i watched some of ronson's glastonbury gig on the telly, and although i can't remember the song itself, he had about 10 people onstage rocking the place while he played ONE NOTE repeatedly for the entire duration of the song.

still at least he didn't just play the triangle...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 omad65

Mark Ronson is an absolute phony. My opinion of him is that because he's been exposed to actual tallented people or a showbiz scene growing I think he thinks he's somehow able to pass himself off as an 'artist' when infact all he does is remix other poeople music. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the odd remix but he's taking the p1ss!
    end rant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I love his version of Valerie with Amy Wino :D

JP Liz wrote: »
    I love his version of Valerie with Amy Wino :D

Was that your first exposure to Mark Ronson?? its a good tune, better than the original in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I wouldn't call him a phony. Yea all he does is remix but to make a good remix takes some talent. He brings songs from one genre to another and makes it work. Not everyone could do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Some people say he should not tamper with songs that mean a lot to people . E.G Just from Radiohead.

He does have talent which is obvious when he can make a Zutons song good like he did with Valerie.

Some people say he should not tamper with songs that mean a lot to people . E.G Just from Radiohead.

He does have talent which is obvious when he can make a Zutons song good like he did with Valerie.

I don't know, I'd say that I'm one of the biggest Radiohead fans on boards and I don't mind a cover as long as it is an actual interpretation of the song (Christopher O'Riley) rather than taking one of their most celebrated singles and giving it jazz fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I think he is an over-rated, untalented, rip off merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Slideshowbob: Please don't bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement