Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near death experiences

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jasper71

Fighter pilots and astronauts have been studied in centrifuges to see what effect g-froces have on them. Video footage and converstions after have shown that the pilots have experienced the white light and euphoria as they went unconcious. They lost conciousness (i really struggle to spell that word) due to the blood being forced from the brain. Doctors believe that endorphins are released at this point to make the 'crossing' from con. to uncon less traumatic on them.

British politition Michael Portillo did a program on alternatives to modern forms of execution due to the pain and suffering that the prisoners may be subjected to.. They concluded that oxygen starvation would be the most humane way as the oxygen loss made them fell happy, oblivious etc prior to going unconcious. Portillo himself experienced this.

So these feeling combined with a 'belief' and the hope is a reason why people mitake the feelings above to being taken in by St Peter and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Midlandmissus, personally, I agree that your post was met with an overly frosty response.
    However, I think one of the reasons for this is because we are bored of people like Gareth37 struttung in smugly asserting their own version of "evidence", and we typically see them to leave with their tails between their legs.

The tone of your post was polite and balanced, and indeed you were asking for opinions rather than saying "rebuke THIS, stupid atheists":p

If you read Betty Eadies 'Embraced By The Light', it is a very moving story, and could very easily "suck you in". But if you are objective and skeptical, absolutely none of her book stands up to scrutiny.
    Like aliens, hypnotism and auras, NDEs are by and large a modern American phenomenon, and a much publicised one at that, so the fact that many of the storys have things in common is not really evidence at all.
    Personally, I would be more interested in the many conflicting elements of these storys. The arguments against NDEs are very convincing.

I applaud you for seeking proof of the supernatural, but I think you will find your own "proof", if your will to believe is stronger than your ability to enquire and scrutinise in an objective, skeptical (or indeed cynical) fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

womoma wrote: »
    Midlandmissus, personally, I agree that your post was met with an overly frosty response.

Welcome to the A&A forum!

Wolves_In_The_Snow_by_Takoya_Utonagan.jpg

See? Hell has frozen over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I wonder why decapitated people never return from Heaven for unfinished business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

womoma wrote: »
    However, I think one of the reasons for this is because we are bored of people like Gareth37 struttung in smugly asserting their own version of "evidence", and we typically see them to leave with their tails between their legs.

The tone of your post was polite and balanced, and indeed you were asking for opinions rather than saying "rebuke THIS, stupid atheists":p

If you read Betty Eadies 'Embraced By The Light', it is a very moving story, and could very easily "suck you in". But if you are objective and skeptical, absolutely none of her book stands up to scrutiny.
    Like aliens, hypnotism and auras, NDEs are by and large a modern American phenomenon, and a much publicised one at that, so the fact that many of the storys have things in common is not really evidence at all.
    Personally, I would be more interested in the many conflicting elements of these storys. The arguments against NDEs are very convincing.

I applaud you for seeking proof of the supernatural, but I think you will find your own "proof", if your will to believe is stronger than your ability to enquire and scrutinise in an objective, skeptical (or indeed cynical) fashion.

Hi Womoma,

thank you very much for your kind post. I think the difference between me and Gareth is that I am not actively trying to convert people:), and I am very concsious of the fact that overly religious people can be unbearingly annoying. I just find myself interested in everyones views. I've never actually read her full book. Can you download that? As regards physiologically, say if you were actually braindead, would a lack of CO2 - creating a tunnel effect, really impact on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

As regards physiologically, say if you were actually braindead, would a lack of CO2 - creating a tunnel effect, really impact on you?

If you are actually medically braindead then you're dead and there's no coming back.

I don't see what the big deal is here. People undergoing a consistent set of physical circumstances display similar physiological effects; aural and visual hallucinations are a common feature of many medical conditions so tbh I would be more impressed with "near death experiences" if they were a little less consistent!

And how come we only hear about people going up to the light? Why never down to the darkness - are we all saved???

I've never actually read her full book. Can you download that?

I'm not sure. I presume its available to buy on Amazon. I would post it to you only it belongs to my mother. I think your twenty euro would be better spent on a book by Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Beruthiel, i'll give it to you, you're a hard man to argue with! Not I don't feel I have any points to come back with, but just that the nasty tone nw in this thread is making me upset.. And if I say that I know I'll get the whole "What are you doing on this board then"

All I wanted was a bit of discussion on the matter, a few opinions. I would have liked the physiological side of it explained to me. Why the need to be so nasty and 'Oh you're clutching at straws', when that totally wasn't what this was about!?

where was the nasty tone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I think by 'nasty tone' she means people not agreeing with her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I think by 'nasty tone' she means people not agreeing with her.

Nice try. no I meant the 'you're clutching at straws bit', when I was just looking for opinions. I was a new poster and a bit wet behind the ears. Have toughened up now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Have toughened up now!:)

Good! :) Most people don't manage to get that far.

agreed. you're playin' a stormer mm

Advertisement