Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95 8GB, memory full?

• 21-11-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

It's saying mem full, delete items. I have deleted loads of albums I have had on it. However with 2gb or so free it's still saying mem full. Is there a dif memory setting or something?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Jay D wrote: »
    It's saying mem full, delete items. I have deleted loads of albums I have had on it. However with 2gb or so free it's still saying mem full. Is there a dif memory setting or something?

Thanks

You may need to reboot the handset in order for it to recognise that there is free memory available; if that was the cause in the first place.

The only other time I've seen a similar message is when there are too many applications open at the same time. This can easily be rectified by holding down the menu button, which then brings up the currently open applications list. From there you can select each one and exit them correctly by selecting "Options" and then "Exit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

your phone internal memory could be full which is different to you 8gb memory

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    your phone internal memory could be full which is different to you 8gb memory

This was my 1st thoguht too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

is there a way of selecting memory in use or something?

It's quite annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Jay D wrote: »

Thanks

Now: WHENWHENWHEN DOES IT SAY THAT? What are you trying to do when you get the memory full message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

use the net, send messages, look in phone book... etc.

what really got me was a load of pics I CUT from phone and put to computer actually just came bac.

wtf is up with that? are they dodgey or what's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do you have any applications running in the background?

Have you restarted the phone since you starting getting these errors? - this is a bug I've had a couple of times with Symbian.

Right.
    If you don't have one already, get a taskmanager. A good one - this one's free: http://www.symbian-freeware.com/download-jbaktaskman.html
    It'll show ALL running processes and programmes, kill apps, show ram etc etc....
    Good to investigate!
    What you describe sounds like either a fw bug, or you have stuff running in the background without realising it. Stop deleting stuff! It's not about THAT! You get the error while trying to use apps; it's a ram issue. The n95/b has deman pageing - vaguely like vista's superfetchy thingy... That means clumsy apps like the gallery, etc start faster...but it also means that having loads of ram can still lead to 'freezes'.
    A good taskmanager can help you figure out what app/process is clogging up your memory...
    A firmware upgrade might also help, but not if you inadvertently tend to have apps run in the background that oughta be closed when unused. If you browse a lot, get used to cleaning the cache/history after long sessions. If you have thousands of pics and tracks, but them into subfolders of 10-20 items max for faster/easier indexing... Etc etc. These modern multitaskers are marvelous, but they'll only perform as well as the user. If you're a good user, try a fw-update. If s.o. has a better idea, consider me redundant ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what usually solves this problem on symbians:messaging-options-settings-other-memory in use-memory card (which i think says something else on the 8gb)

And move all your messages to the memory card when it prompts (copy and don't save originals)

Edit: People are suggesting that it might be applications running in the background but that error message is "memory full. Close some applications and try again"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

This works 100%. The memory issues refers to text messages. Delete them or move storage off phone and to 8gb

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what usually solves this problem on symbians:messaging-options-settings-other-memory in use-memory card (which i think says something else on the 8gb)

And move all your messages to the memory card when it prompts (copy and don't save originals)

Edit: People are suggesting that it might be applications running in the background but that error message is "memory full. Close some applications and try again"

Oops, yeah, I think you're right :)

(i have never been a message hog hahaha, and it's been a while since I had an N95)

Advertisement