Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Relief - How is it calculated

Options
  • 21-11-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Ia m a single person on a modest income. I have a Mortgage of X per month, and i get Y Tax Relief on it.

I am told that it is calculated on the interest the banks charge. If so, it would mean that i get relief of around 8%

However, i read on various sites that it should be around 20% of the interest charged by the bank.. Can anybody send me on the mathematical formula?

Cheers :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Tax relief at source

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/faqs/trs_relief.htm

Assuming you are a first time buyer and you already mentioned being single then you are allowed claim 20% of a max of €10k for 2008, this means that the max you can get back is €2k for 2008.

The rates for 2007 are different so check on the site.

You can apply online, its very quick apparently.

Any tax relief you are due is paid montly by your lender into the account that your mortgage dd comes out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Tax relief at source

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/faqs/trs_relief.htm

Assuming you are a first time buyer and you already mentioned being single then you are allowed claim 20% of a max of €10k for 2008, this means that the max you can get back is €2k for 2008.

The rates for 2007 are different so check on the site.

You can apply online, its very quick apparently.

Any tax relief you are due is paid montly by your lender into the account that your mortgage dd comes out of.

Or the mortgage lender simple charges you less by DD to reflect the TRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

^ What bank does that?

Not a very transparent way of doing business

dubmick wrote: »
    ^ What bank does that?

Not a very transparent way of doing business

UB/AIB and a few others. I see what your saying but there is no rules on how its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

is that not why it is called tax relief at source!!!!!!
    its lodged into the mortgage account every month to reduce the direct debit before it is deducted from your bank account

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    is that not why it is called tax relief at source!!!!!!
    its lodged into the mortgage account every month to reduce the direct debit before it is deducted from your bank account

:confused:

Yes, its sorted by the Lender ie at source. They all just do it slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭veryangryman

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/politics/budget-2008-increase-in-level-of-mortgage-relief-1238926.html

Word on the street is that this increase will be backdated. Which is trés cool for me cos will mean a payday of €750-ish based on a Mortgage opened in September 2007 :cool:

Anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

UB/AIB and a few others. I see what your saying but there is no rules on how its done.

I am with AIB and get trs lodged into my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/politics/budget-2008-increase-in-level-of-mortgage-relief-1238926.html

Word on the street is that this increase will be backdated. Which is trés cool for me cos will mean a payday of €750-ish based on a Mortgage opened in September 2007 :cool:

Anyone confirm?

that article is a year old.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    I am with AIB and get trs lodged into my account.

So am I and its by DD is just less.

rameire wrote: »
    that article is a year old.

Yes but nonetheless, im currently only getting 2K a year. Will this be raised to the 2.5K in January?

Can anyone offer an opinion?

Apologies for the bump mods, but just in case any revenue gurus are round on boards today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Can anyone offer an opinion?

Apologies for the bump mods, but just in case any revenue gurus are round on boards today

It really depends on the specifics of your loan (ie how much of the money you are repaying during the year is towards the capital and how much is towards the interest). You should be able to determine this by looking at you mortgage account online (or statements if you can't access it via online banking).

Once you know how much interest you are paying, the Section 9, Step 1B will explain the rest. P.S. There's a typo on that - Step 1B is for First Time Buyer's and not "Non First Time Buyers".

Advertisement