Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At my wits end, I'd appreciate some advice

Options
  • 21-11-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi Guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma and I'd really appreciate advice. I sat my drivers text for the second time yesterday and failed it. Originally, I sat it in an SGS centre in Blackrock. I was really pleased thinking I passed but was surprised when he said I wasn't successful. I had in total 10 Grade 2 mistakes. Then Yesterday, I sat it in the RSA in Wilton. Now I knew my roads signs backwards, my hand signals, and had covered the questions that I would be asked. I go in and I am asked about what height plate would be on the back of a lorry if I was about to overtake it-I hadn't a clue, then I was asked how to prevent aqua-planning without getting new tires, in the car, I was asked about the icons on the dash board and we never opened the bonnet to do the checks. So I knew after that it was down-hill. Of course, I had read the rules of the road, I had downloaded and learnt the answers to 80 questions and a sheet that my driving instructor had given me, I even bought that DVD and had followed it. So we came back to the centre and I knew that the tester I had was just peculiar. He said that I was being too rough with the gears and the clutch, I tended to go into first when it was not necessary. My kerb turn, my turn about, hill start were all fine, my observations were fine apart from telling me that I didn't need to observe as much when I was on the roundabout. In total I accumulated 21 grade two faults.
    I'm at my wits end with it. I've got over 10 lessons are 40 euro a pop and even was assessed by another instructor who told me I'd pass as long as my right corners were perfected and my position on the road was too. I don't know where I should go from here or what I should do. I have a car that I can't drive without a parent and that's really awkward because both my parents work. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Computerfd wrote: »
    Now I knew my roads signs backwards, my hand signals, and had covered the questions that I would be asked.

It seems to me that you might be concentrating too hard on "learning off" what you think might come up (rather like cramming for an exam) instead of taking time to really "understand" the logic behind the rules. In other words, I think you need to take a step back and give yourself some time to really become comfortable with your car and how to react in a variety of situations.

A common mistake made by a lot of drivers (not only learners surprisingly enough) is that they fail to ever really learn HOW to drive.

Instead they spend their time learning how best to act like they know what they're doing; e.g. exaggerated head movements when checking mirrors, over cautiousness when approaching yield signs with good visibility and no traffic on main road etc etc.

Do you spend so much time craning your neck to give the impression that you're checking your wing and rear view mirrors that you are not actually observing what is happening on the road around you (front, back and sides of car)?
    ...my observations were fine apart from telling me that I didn't need to observe as much when I was on the roundabout

This would suggest that you are overly cautious, i.e. you actually stop before joining the roundabout when there is clearly no traffic already on it. You do not need to come to a complete halt at a yield sign (unless you have to actually yield of course).

I have come across many learner drivers in th same situation as yourself who will adamantly claim that they learned off all the ROTR and are "safe" drivers.

However, in reality they have learned off how to play the part of being a good driver. They go through the motions but never actually understand why you should act in a certain way.
    I had downloaded and learnt the answers to 80 questions and a sheet that my driving instructor had given me

See, this would suggest to me again that you are simply learning things by rote.
    I go in and I am asked about what height plate would be on the back of a lorry if I was about to overtake it-I hadn't a clue, then I was asked how to prevent aqua-planning without getting new tires, in the car, I was asked about the icons on the dash board and we never opened the bonnet to do the checks.

It isn't enough to learn off the those question most likely to come up. You need to really know the ROTR inside and out and be prepared to answer even the most seemingly obscure questions.

Remember you don't simply learn the ROTR to pass the test. You learn them so that you can drive your car in a safe, confident manner.

I would suggest that you take a step back and think about your driving. Sit down and set out to rally LEARN the ROTR. Know them to such an extent that you really understand why any particular rule exists. Try to get out of the "memorise whatever is most likely to come up" mentality.

Remember, when you do eventually pass your test and you're out on the nation's roads you will have to deal with unexpected, previously not experienced situations.

If can you concentrate on becoming a patient, confident, spatially aware road user you'll dramatically increase your chances of passing the test.

Don't be disheartened and don't give up.

Put in the effort and you WILL pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

i was the same. i recently passed in wilton with the rsa. i passed on my 3rd attempt. just keep trying and dont give up whatever you do! its worth it in the end. with all that learning and reading you must know the theory inside out. so next time its something less to worry about.aswell as that u got most of the main parts right. the right turn is tricky and is only a case of practice. i failed with a grade 3 on a right turn in my second test. it dosnt sound like you did anything major just small things.get one more lesson and tell him to point out every mistake you make then you know exactly what to practice. lessons are a rip off anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Computerfd

Lessons are a rip off. Both my parents maintain that they got only 3-4 lessons. I'm a full-time student with a part-time job. I earn about 400 euro a month. I can't be forking out money all the time for lessons. I'm just being realistic. I think also nerves might have played a part. I woke up at 3 oclock and couldn't sleep I was so wired about the damn test. Hence the crying afterwards. I guess that might have been why I was "rough" with the clutch and gears too.

As regards the rules of the road and preparing for that part of the test, seriously you can't expect me to learn everysingle page in the book? I think putting in child-seats are fairly self-explanatory, for instance.

You have no idea how frustrated I am. I put so much energy and time into it this time around.
    Thanks everyone for being a shoulder to cry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH the Irish test is a disaster, one driver and one tester and no one observing the tester is doing their job properly.
    In France, you do the test with two other people acting as your passengers and they can observe how the tester behaved during all the tests. It is also possible to have an instructor as an observer if you wish, unions here would have a heart attack if they thought their members were going to be under scrutiny like this as there have been serious problems in the testing system here over the years with testers just following the %

Well one thing I will say, is that I found when I did my observations, the guy missed me and marked me down on the test sheet, I thought that was unfair.
    I'm not blaming the instructor I just thought that he was a bit odd and a bit ridiculous. In all fairness, do they expect you to be superhuman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

worrying is your first problem! dont! theres no point because theres no limit to how many times you can sit the test.you need to get into the car with the attitude that your doing it and if you fail sure ull do it again.dont cry about it either its not worth it.99% of passing is luck! we can all have bad days

Well I think you're right, I stopped my college study and just became obsessed a bit with the test and acing everything. Not sleeping didn't help either, my head felt like it was on fire! The first time, I didn't know half as much as I do know and did much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Just in case you did'nt know there is a Learning to Drive forum on board,
    there's great advice and support available there .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

Advertisement