Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should it be okay to be allowed make unsubstantiated accusations against another team

Options
  • 21-11-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭

on this forum if it is my opinion?

There's a lot of tripe written about Celtic on here by folks who are not Celtic fans. When they are asked to substantiate their arguments they refuse to do so yet their lies remain. If I wrote lies about Liverpool or ManU I'm sure these would be dealt with appropriately. I believe that people have even gotten bans on here for referring to ManU as ManUre.

Look at the James McCarthy thread that has been locked by Mods. Would it not be better to deal with the offending posters and leave the thread open rather than close it due to a few bad apples posting lies on it?

People have to be allowed have their opinions on stuff but they must be able to back these opinions up with some kind of facts and not just be stirring to wind other folks up.

There seems to be a lot of unevenhandedness (is that a word?) on this forum, which in general is a good forum. A bit more consistency would make it even better.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Rule number one on the charter.

ABUSE: Prejudice will not be tolerated.

If you support certain teams abuse is designated as a legitimate opinion if directed at certain other clubs.

A mod actually told me he 'didn't give a crap' if a post was racist when I reported it. Thankfully another one took it down.

Its blindingly obvious that there is a bias towords certain teams on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Its blindingly obvious that there is a bias towords certain teams on here.

It's the bias against some teams that seems very obvious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not to be a "Moany Michael" or a "Brian The Back Seat Mod" or a "Tommy Tragedy".

but this post should be in either Helpdesk or Feedback, tbh.

Come on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm not so sure Des. I'd rather have somthing like this debated here rather then in Feedback where every Tom, Dick and AH clown can weed in with pointless tripe and lolcats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Des wrote: »
    Not to be a "Moany Michael" or a "Brian The Back Seat Mod" or a "Tommy Tragedy".

but this post should be in either Helpdesk or Feedback, tbh.

Come on lads.

I would have went more with ''Pedantic Patricia'' ;)

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure Des. I'd rather have somthing like this debated here rather then in Feedback where every Tom, Dick and AH clown can weed in with pointless tripe and lolcats.

Rules are rules though.

You think the mods will leave this here?

rofl.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

True, though it'll be a lot more hassle for them over there than here.

True, though it'll be a lot more hassle for them over there than here.

Less hassle in helpdesk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Soccer_Cat_Kick.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I don't think so

I believe that Celtic has within their support world wide a large number of fans who are pro IRA

this is based on watching celtic fans behavior in pubs in Boston, hearing them chant IRA slogans and seeing them wearing tee shirts that praise the killing for 'Brits'

I do not have photography or audio evidence of this but I have seen and heard it.

Therefore I can express my opinion based on what I have seen and heard and should not have to supply evidence here, other wise I would have to walk around recording and photographing everything I see.

• Advertisement

^^

this is where this thread starts to get messy.

^^

this is where this thread starts to get messy.

I won't be biting... well not yet anyway!

I don't think so

I believe that Celtic has within their support world wide a large number of fans who are pro IRA

this is based on watching celtic fans behavior in pubs in Boston, hearing them chant IRA slogans and seeing them wearing tee shirts that praise the killing for 'Brits'

I do not have photography or audio evidence of this but I have seen and heard it.

Therefore I can express my opinion based on what I have seen and heard and should not have to supply evidence here, other wise I would have to walk around recording and photographing everything I see.

But you said that "most Celtic fans are anti-Protestant bigots" and refused to elaborate as to why.

But your baseless allegation in itself is not the issue. If you said "most Liverpool fans are murderers" do you think the post would have been left there? Thats the problem. Celtic are open season for abuse on this site, wheras Man U and Liverpool are protected species. Its not on.

Someone else did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't think so

EVERY football club has a minority of fans that behave in ways the majority of fans don't like. Also BTW I have been in a hell of a lot pubs in Ireland and heard people chanting IRA slogans etc etc so if you want to slag off Celtic for that you may slag off ALL Irish people!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would have went more with ''Pedantic Patricia'' ;)

"Difficult Des"?

I was hoping this thread would be like my vote for rant of the year..there's potential similarities

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56423135&postcount=1

But you said that "most Celtic fans are anti-Protestant bigots" and refused to elaborate as to why.

But your baseless allegation in itself is not the issue. If you said "most Liverpool fans are murderers" do you think the post would have been left there? Thats the problem. Celtic are open season for abuse on this site, wheras Man U and Liverpool are protected species. Its not on.

Purrrrrcisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

sorry
    I'm just using an example (from personal experience) of how every opinion or experience from people on this board cannot be backed up with documentary evidence.

I am not wishing to start a pro\anti Celtic debate

Someone else did though.

I will bite eventually (I always do!), but I'd like to see the general point debated first with some input by the Mods.

Good luck with that.

I'm not allowed to discuss modding on this forum anyway.

• Advertisement

sorry
    I'm just using an example (from personal experience) of how every opinion or experience from people on this board cannot be backed up with documentary evidence.

I am not wishing to start a pro\anti Celtic debate

Fine, and its good that you are involved in this. The issue is not your opinion. Its that you made an inflammitory allegation (even a Protestant Celtic fan telling you you were wrong didn't dissuade you), its that the mods refused to deal with it in the manner they deal with other posts.

Look at any LoI thread for the usual suspects trolling and ruining every thread with no sanction. Compare that to how the English club threads are policed.

Good luck with that.

I'm not allowed to discuss modding on this forum anyway.

I think the mods would be childish in the extreme and provoke a backlash if they sancitoned people over this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved to Feeback.

We all no the whole Celtic/Rangers thing is as political as it gets in football.Its hard to discuss things without it very quickly getting into non football areas very fast.

People have to be allowed have their opinions I agree but the soccer forum is not the place for politics,sectarianism etc etc.IMO these kind of things have no place in football but unfortunately its part and parcel of football in Glasgow.If the mods taught we could have a open and frank debate on the subject without it getting out of hand we would have no problem with it.

I can see who its frustrating as a fan of one of the Old Firm clubs and you think Liverpool/Man Utd to name two are given preferential treatment.This is not the case,If things got out of hand on any thread then it will be locked.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I can see who its frustrating as a fan of one of the Old Firm clubs and you think Liverpool/Man Utd to name two are given preferential treatment.This is not the case,If things got out of hand on any thread then it will be locked.

So.

If you assert that this is the case, why then were my reported posts and PMs about the LoI threads roundly ignored?

A reported post of mine was only acted upon A WEEK after I reported it, and I actually had to PM one of the senior soccer mods to get it acted on.

And it was personal abuse, not an opinion.

(someone was called a "cúnt of the highest order", took a week for the charter breech to be dealt with. Acceptable? No)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

So.

If you assert that this is the case, why then were my reported posts and PMs about the LoI threads roundly ignored?

A reported post of mine was only acted upon A WEEK after I reported it, and I actually had to PM one of the senior soccer mods to get it acted on.

And it was personal abuse, not an opinion.

(someone was called a "cúnt of the highest order", took a week for the charter breech to be dealt with. Acceptable? No)

I agree Des that a response of one week for a straight forward personal abuse is not acceptable,I don't no what happened in that case maybe it was one that slipped through the net.

Slipped through the net, or ignored like all the other reported posts from LoI threads?

I'm going to copy my original PM to all the Soccer Mods, from 2 weeks ago, in this thread, maybe I'll get some answers after being stonewalled by the Mods, and the Sports CMod.

I have to bring this up with you over PM as I, and others, have become quite frustrated with the level of moderation in the Soccer Forum of late.

I am referring particularly to the moderation (or non moderation) of the League of Ireland Threads, in which there have been trolls and personal abuse over the past week or so, which while has been reported, has gone ignored.

At the same time, the precious Liverpool and United fans are protected from a little bit of name calling (referring to Manchester United as "manure" warrants a 2 week ban, while another user was referred to as a "cnut of the highest order", the post reported, and subsequently ignored by mods).

If the moderators are going to pick and choose when and where they are going to moderate, then this is not good enough.

Why are supporters of Irish football treated as second class users, while supporters of Liverpool, Manchester United and the EPL as a whole handled with kid-gloves?

Would it have anything to do with the fact that three of the four active mods are supporters of said clubs? I think so.

Since the departure of kdjac the LoI has not had "representation" on the mod panel, and I feel that this is to the detriment of the forum, because the current batch of mods have no interest in the LoI and cannot moderate threads on it effectively. Or, in fact, ignore it altogether.

Also, I would like to point out that no mod at all has been present in the morning times this week. This was an issue on the forum before, and needs to be addressed.

I find it funny that when the Liverpool and Manchester United supporters started complaining they were pandered to by getting a "one of their own" mods appointed, but the LoI is roundly ignored by the moderation team.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

I never received any reply from any mod, and was then taken to task for making the same points in reported posts, and eventually banned for back-seat modding.

Any answers forthcoming now?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I find it amazing that the sports forums generate so many feedback threads.

I mean there's been how many Pro-Wrestling ones? Seriously how is it even possible to take that so seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not just Liverpool and United.

As pointed out already, people are definitely allowed to derail genuine LOI threads, with the usual armchair advice, generalizations, and subtle trolling, without censure.

• Advertisement

Maximilian wrote: »
    I find it amazing that the sports forums generate so many feedback threads.

I mean there's been how many Pro-Wrestling ones? Seriously how is it even possible to take that so seriously?

I find it amazing that people who have nothing to do with the discussion constantly feel the need stick their oar in to feedback threads, trying to derail them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement