Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling & buying car ........advice needed!

Options
  • 21-11-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm toying with idea of buying a new car in January 09 and selling my existing motor. Currently driving a VW Passat 07 Comfortline 1.6 FSI with 24k (KM) on the clock and hoping to go for either an Audi A4 1.8 petrol or 2.0 Diesel model 120 or 160BHP. What are the chances of selling my Passat for a good enough price in current market to get a better cash deal on the Audi and am I better going for the diesel or petrol given the new tax bands ie. €150 versus €430 on the petrol? Never owned a diesel car and wouldn't do more than 8 to 10 miles a year. Test drove a diesel A4 last week and seemed fine so not sure how to proceed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Simple answer - slim to none.

Pop onto one of the car sales sites and filter by your car make. Check out the lowest price for similar spec and beat it by a few hundred quid and you might have some look.

A mate of mine who frequents here did that with his Passat tho and still had trouble selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 delboy2

Cheers Faceman. The Passat is really in excellent condition so was hoping to get a good deal on it. Have checked out some sites and getting a variation on pricing but somewhere in region of €25k seems to be average and most of them seem to be dealers. On whatcar the price seemed to be a wee bit higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just lookin at me VW prices - a new 1.4Tsi Comfortline cost €26500 for 09. VW have just dropped the price of these by almost €3000 grand.

On that basis, €25000 is a bit optimistic. The book value of your car is €19500, so with todays market you'd be lucky to get this.

Any dealer who has your car on his forecourt for 25 grand must be in serious sh**.....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

The car market is definitly not moving. Anything over 15k€ doesn't sell at the moment...I have my car the cheapest on carzone for the last 3 months (started at 22k€, now I'm at 15k€) and the only people contacting me are either scams or people that can't sell their car themself ("as soon as I sell my motor, I'd like to see yours").

Little cars are still selling well though, I sold a '98 Corsa in 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

€25k would make it the most expensive on Carzone.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?nParam=0#nParam=102455+102554+200291+200299+4294911065&sortby=Make|0

I'd agree with Drummerboy, you'll need to be €mid-teens to get any phone calls.

Keep your car for another year and buy for 2010. You're wasting your money by changing so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No offence or disrespect to your car OP but you are not going to get anywhere near €25 for your Passat. The bottom has fallen out of the used car market, prices are literally in free fall and the private market is no better. Dealers don't want trade-ins so more and more people are trying to sell their old cars privately, saturating a depressed market even further.

You need to take the cheapest private sale, similar model on the likes of carzone and price yours below it to stand any chance of selling it. Remember if dealers cannot shift cars at these prices and they offer warranties then private sellers have to price them alot cheaper to persuade someone to forgo the comeback of a dealer warranty.

Also remember that since the VRT change in July, 2007 cars have taken the most hit as most new models dropped in price pushing pre 2008 used values down, this plus the fact that the 1.6 FSi Passat was dropped in 2008 for the much cleaner 1.4 TSi which is cheaper to tax.

I think the days of when the Irish trade their cars every year or two are gone. My advice is hold onto what you have and get value from it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When I was looking for a new car recentently spoke to a BMW sales man in Cork. he had taken an 08 Passat TDi on trade in which had been brought Jan 08 for €32K. He gave.........€18.5K on the trade in......:eek:

SPoke to Audi salesman this week and he confirmed this would be right, as you can get Repossion Passats in the UK, VRT paid, landed for €20-21.5K.

He reckons they have 8 Passats on the forecourt now, and will sell only 2 - The diesels, and thats after slashing thousands.

OP, hold on to it.

Advertisement