Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to to get sterling?

• 21-11-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Wheres the best place to get sterling for some shopping? Bank (north or south) ? Or Bureau de change?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

Bargain Requests Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

getting it out of an ATM when u get there is the best rate. That or just pay for your purchases with your credit card. I always do these and u get the best rates. I never go to the bureau de change cuz u get charged commission whereas u don't with the 2 options above and a small fee for taking out the money abroad from an ATM

but as djb85 says, please post in the correct forum next time. This forum is only for posting bargain alerts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Credit unions are your best bet. Don't think they charge commision, or if they do it's small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Credit unions are your best bet. Don't think they charge commision, or if they do it's small.

I think it depends on the branch, locally Listowel is better for me than Abbeyfeale I have found.

Well I go to the Credit Union or take it out in an ATM over in Glasgow. You've to be careful though, you're charged a fee each transaction. The rate is usually current though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭freebee23

Hi,

Was up North last Saturday and popped into Sainsburys just off the A1 outside Lisburn.
    They have a Bureau de Change inside the store and were offering 84p to the Euro with no commission charges. (Most stores in Newry were offering 80p to the Euro)
    There is a Curry's and Toys'R'Us store in the same complex.

Give them a ring before you call up on Tel: 028 9267 7444 for the latest rate.

Cheers,
    Freebee23

There's AIB banklinks up the North that will give you Sterling. Also a lot of shops in Newry accept Euro

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There's AIB banklinks up the North that will give you Sterling. Also a lot of shops in Newry accept Euro

I was up last weekend- most shops seemed to be on 80p to the Euro- when it was officially 86p in the bank (I got 84.7p when I paid for stuff with my credit card......)

Advertisement