Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa vs Man United, Saturday 22/11, 5.30pm

• 21-11-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

0,,12306~3324942,00.gif vs 0,,12306~3325032,00.gif

We were breaking the rules by posting about this in the team thread, so better start this :p

Berbatov out
    possibly Rio out
    Looks like Rooney will be back
    Brown out for a few weeks, so it'll be Rafa or Neville at RB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Easy three points for Manchester, to do their old pals in the Emirates a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I think this'll be the side:

1227275708532934.jpg

Goin for a 2-0 win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

UTD always beat us, so yep I'd say 0-2 to UTD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    I think this'll be the side:

1227275708532934.jpg

Goin for a 2-0 win

Park, Fletcher, Carrick, And Thingie

V
    Sidwell, Barry, Young and Milner

Got to say Villa midfield is alot stronger

3-0 villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Cueller has been confirmed as out for Villa, so shorey will probably return to the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Dave! wrote: »

Berbatov out
    possibly Rio out
    Looks like Rooney will be back
    Brown out for a few weeks, so it'll be Rafa or Neville at RB

If Rio is out , Neville will start IMO , at RB ,
    Big game to start Rafa and Evans beside each other ,both have played well and proving themselves so far ,but the two together lack a bit of experience for my liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Villa are due something, would be a disaster if they got it tommorow.

Will go for a cagey United win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully Villa go for it again and we catch them on the counter. Evans was brillant last weekend but it was against Stoke. I'd like to see him again anyway if Rio is out. I'm not sure if Neville could handle the pace of Gabby or Young so I'd like to see Rafael bombing up and down.

I'm going for the United win although it won't be easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

really gunning for a villa win. me and a mate (a villa fan) have put money down on villa coming 4th this year so they are my "second team" essentially. cant see them winning this tho. as boggles said, probably a cagey utd win

Shorey has been our weak link and with Cuellar out he's going to start I'd imagine although I do have a bad feeling that we could see Barry at left back with NRC, Petrov and Sidwell all in the middle but I hope not as Barry is wasted there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jazzy wrote: »
    really gunning for a villa win. me and a mate (a villa fan) have put money down on villa coming 4th this year so they are my "second team" essentially. cant see them winning this tho. as boggles said, probably a cagey utd win
    What odds did you get on that? They're probably gone way down now with Arsenal capitulating ;) I do quite like Villa to be honest. Dunno what it is about them, I've just been fond of them for a while now. Martin O'Neill too.

That said, I shall be out for their blood tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I don't see Villa getting anything out of the game, would be happy with a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Very dodgy game to have after the international break. Although we do seem to like the trip to villa park. I expect the team to be close to what pat posted. However the right back spot is hard to call, Neville can't play two games a week so does he play here and sit out the CL. Then we have Da Silva who is very inexperienced and has looked suspect defensively, I would be worried about putting him in there against prob the best left winger in the league (Young). For me today I would go with OShea. Sure he might not offer us a lot going forward however out of the three RB available he is steadiest defensively we have. And offers better protection at set pieces than the other two which could be important with rio out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We always do well against Villa, not sure why exactly. I think its cause while they are very organised, their defence actually isn't that good. It keeps out most teams a lot of the time, but against top class strikers with clever movement I think it crumbles. As such, I think/hope United will win. But we're missing quite a few players, and lots are b ack from halfway around the world, so this will be interesting.

Ah lads, forgot one thing......... Brad Friedel :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Oh Fúck yeah, forget about octopussy!!! :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

draw for me

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

True, but he's had a very poor season so far by his standards! I cant see Villa getting anything from this game TBH, Ronaldo will destroy Shorey! But Villa are very unpredictable which is why I do have some hope, not much though

Gabby Agbonlahor is 8/1 to score first...

Rooney is 8/1 to score and get booked in 90 mins :D Pretty much a sure thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I definitely think there is a reasonable chance of a draw or even a win for Villa here with a bit of luck.

They are a good side and on their day would cause problems for any of the top four. As against that there are other days when they can look like a mid table team - see Chelsea game.

A few reports have been on about the fact that United have beaten Villa in their last eleven games. While it does seem to indicate that Utd have a good record against Villa, it's doesnt have a huge relevance in the sense that some people seem to imply. This is related to the use of past match performance statistics when evaluating a team's chances. It kinda marginalises the players input into the whole thing. I'd imagine that unless Neville or Giggs plays it is probable that no-one playing today will have played in the first match of that eleven win run, so you've got to ask how relevant exactly it is. I will concede that the performance in the last Villa Utd would have a whole lot more relevance (given a lot of the players today will probably have played in that) but it's just one of those lazy stats that journalist throw out which I find meaningless and gets my goat. Another example of this was on either Soccer AM or Football Focus this morning someone said that the last time Newcastle beat Chelsea was twenty years ago today and used this to suggest that Newcastle had very little chance today. Sure Newcatle will be up against it today but this is because Chelsea have the better players in their squad and not because Chelsea are on some sort of twenty year winning streak. Just for a sec imagine it was Chelsea who hadn't won over Newcastle in twenty years - would anyone be tipping Newcastle to win on the basis of this? Highly doubtful.

Anyway rant over and sorry for going OT.

I'd have high hopes this will be a relatively decent match as I would expect both sides to play fairly attacking football and both are pretty good to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Villa to win, Agbonlahor and Petrov to shine.

Up the Villa!

*hopes against hope Cuellar isn't actually injured and Shorey wont be playing*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

there any streams for this?

Really wishing i was at home with my Setanta :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Nervous about this game, Villa are bang on form. Think its going to be a cracker, head says score draw, heart says United win. So Im going to go with a 1-2 United win. :) Young, Tevez and Ronaldo to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

VDS, O'Shea, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Carrick, Giggs, Park, Rooney, Tevez.

Tommy K, Ando, Nani,, Welbeck, Raf, Evans, Gibson

Friedel, Youmg, Laursen, Davies, Barry, Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Milner, Agbonlahor, Young.

So is it Barry at left back or Young left and NRC right??

VDS
    O'Shea
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney

Tevez

Giggs ahead of Fletch and Ando? Dunno bout that

Bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villain wrote: »
    So is it Barry at left back or Young left and NRC right??

Who knows. NRC and Barry are crap as Full backs anyway. MON doesn't trust Shorey against anyone decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

JPA wrote: »
    MON doesn't trust Shorey against anyone decent.

Who does?:D.

Oh Freddy Bouma we miss you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

With todays results it's vital we take advantage

• Advertisement

Arsenal dead and buried at 3-0 if we could even get a point it would be huge.

Villain wrote: »
    Arsenal dead and buried at 3-0 if we could even get a point it would be huge.

We want 3 and 3rd place!

Fookin hell, just what we need -- more motivation for Villa :(

Something happens Villa against United, usually cock ups and desperate defending. Lets hope for some kind of composure this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Really fooking hope utd capitalise on this oppertunity with the way todays results have gone so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Important match now for United , seeing as the big two were both held.
    Also important in the race for 4th of course:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Really fooking hope utd capitalise on this oppertunity with the way todays results have gone so far.
    Jebus I hope we can capitilse today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Pool and Chelsea both dropped 2 pts... come on United, don't bottle it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Can Neville be considered 4th choice RB now with O'Shea playing and Rafael on the bench and Brown injured?

Giggs might be in ahead of Anderson due to Anderson playing midweek in Brazil perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is this on Setanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see your walking wounded make spectacular recoveries to full health.

Bet the FA don't ask any questions, unlike they did of Liverpool.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

spot on Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

NRC playing RB im hearing:mad:, if this is true, then its gonna be a long 90mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

anyone got a stream ?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    spot on Mike.

yeah - cause Rooney wanted to miss training all the previous week with a chest infection for fun, and we were having a laugh with Rio's fitness test. Browns ankle op was another fake-out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

s8n wrote: »
    anyone got a stream ?
    http://www.justin.tv/sm3ggy3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'm actually curious, i presume Rooney & Ferdinand were called down for tests by the FA docs to see if they could play earlier in the week, right?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'm actually curious, i presume Rooney & Ferdinand were called down for tests by the FA docs to see if they could play earlier in the week, right?

Why, so they could take part in a friendly match.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Why, so they could take part in a friendly match.

yea the way gerrard and lampard were called.

Sopcast channel 6029 - good quality picture and english commentary.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mayordenis wrote: »
    yea the way gerrard and lampard were called.
    Yeah, but both of them played for their clubs last weekend, where as Rio and Rooney were not even in their squads last weekend

• Advertisement
Advertisement