Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nas Box without RAID?

• 21-11-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭

Folks,
    I have a lot of spare sata and ide HDD's lying around at home (approx 3tb's) with a lot of movies, music, etc on them.
    I'm looking for a network box (NAS?) that I can put multiple disks into which can stream music and movies around the house.
    I don't want RAID (just a bunch of seperate Hdd's which can have different media on them. i.e. music on disk 1, movies on disk 2, etc).

Does anyone know of any box that might meet this criteria?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

You can pick up an NAS enclosure on eBay in which to put the drives. As long as they are all the same physicla size and interface all should be well. You need to configure then the NAS as JBOD rather than RAID to do what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

MediaTank wrote: »
    You can pick up an NAS enclosure on eBay in which to put the drives. As long as they are all the same physicla size and interface all should be well. You need to configure then the NAS as JBOD rather than RAID to do what you want.

thanks for the response.One question, does jbod not recognise all drives as one big drive, and spreads the files across it?, thereby stopping me swapping drives in and out as i want?

cheers for any info.

It depends on the capability of the NAS unit. Some do, some don't.

You could repost the question in one of the computer forums, you may get more details there.

Advertisement