Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C5 Irish Car of the Year 2009

Options
  • 21-11-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Just announced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

c5-430.jpg
    2185066015_81f4f7c89e.jpg

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

showing your age again, Mike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It seems it's a good year for Citroën......

Car of the Year - C5
    Family Car of the Year - C5
    MPV of the Year - Berlingo Multispace
    Van of the Year - Berlingo
    SUV Van of the Year - C Crosser commercial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

This well deserved! I absolutely love the C5, it's a stunning car.
    I see an exclusive model every day at work! I would love to own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Obviously reliability and depreciation were not big priorities with the judges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

fastrac wrote: »

It's a brand new car, so how could either be a factor in the judging? Duh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Car looks great, but it will be cheap as chips in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Great looking car, but as everyone else has pointed out - not great build quality/reliability, poor residuals, and a tad too expensive for what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

not great build quality/reliability, poor residuals, and a tad too expensive for what it is...

What issues have their been with it so far to sugest bad build quality and reliability problems??
    How have the residuals being determined already and how do they compare to other models in the same class??
    And also price compared to other models in the same class??

Youo cant make a statement like that and not back it up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

The value will go down in very short time. These cars never kept a good value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Zeppi wrote: »
    Thats just your forecast. The judges can only deal with whats in front of them ie. the facts.

leon8v wrote: »
    What issues have their been with it so far to sugest bad build quality and reliability problems??
    How have the residuals being determined already and how do they compare to other models in the same class??

Youo cant make a statement like that and not back it up!!!

+1

Build quality on the current C5 is excellent. The C5 is still using the same old bulletproof 1.6 HDi engine. Current version has a CO2 of 149 g/km (band C) with a band B due early 2009 coming in at 140 g/km.

If you haven't driven the new C5 then I suggest you do before assuming "it's a Citroën so it's crap". Already the residual has been revised upwards by major leasing companies. There is no reason why this car won't preform well in 2009 unless it's hampered by dealer's current used stocks.
    Zeppi wrote: »

True of some previous Citroëns - but is that to say that it will always be that way? Would you not agree that this can be changed if the model range proves itself? Has the beginning of that proof not already begun with the brand taking 5 of the 8 Irish awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

The reason residual sales of Citroens are awful is from customer's experience or indeed their perception of the brand. I have owned two , they are indeed good drivers , very comfortable and reasonably reliable. Many garages find them difficult to work on. In general when it comes to a trade in , it is difficult to give them away. I am doubtful that this will change with the arrival of the new C5..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I think its a smashing car. True Citroen have a poor image but it only takes a car which doesn't have the same old niggly faults to start to reverse that. Who's to say that the new C5 won't be the one to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

only problem with the new c5 is that you have to buy the top of the range one to get the hydraulic suspension. without it a citroen is just another car! with it its the most comfortable car normal folk can buy..

pred racer wrote: »
    only problem with the new c5 is that you have to buy the top of the range one to get the hydraulic suspension. without it a citroen is just another car! with it its the most comfortable car normal folk can buy..
    Drive one with the 'metallic suspension'. Report your findings.

Residual wise - lets put it like this. In three years time, with 60,000kms on the clock, a driver comes into your forecourt with it. Now imagine that same driver bringing in a ford mondeo, or VW passat with the exact same mileage and condition - which is worth more?

Imagine those three cars are in front of you, being offered for free - which would you chose? The Passat, the Mondeo, or the C5? Honestly?

I actually have driven both the 1.6, and 2.2Hdi models, they're great cars to look at, but it just does not feel as solid inside as a passat or even mondeo. We've sold a few of the C5's this year - lots of people like them, but when we get them back off lease in three years time im not looking forward to shifting them. Having worked in Citroen before, i know exactly how hard it is to shift something no one wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

crosstownk wrote: »
    Drive one with the 'metallic suspension'. Report your findings.

ill see can i take one out next time mine is in the garage. ill report back if i do.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

fastrac wrote: »

Nor was the fact that this very same chassis came out 4 1/2 years ago in the form of the Peugeot 407 either.

Anyway, congrats to Citroen, I do think it is a nice looking car but it is high on CO2; I mean the 1.6 HDI is the same as 2.0 rivals, actually the new Avensis next year has a 2.2 that's in the same bracket as the C5's 1.6 HDI for CO2.

I think it will depreciate heavily too, not because it deserves to necessarily but because Irish buyers are so loyal to Toyota, Ford and VW and are *very* slow to change their minds generally anyway.

I mean most people still think VWs are great for reliability even though they haven't made properly reliable cars for around 10 years at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ektco

The talk of residuals is a bit out of date - Has anyone tried to trade in any kind of car lately? There's no such thing as a slow depreciator anymore, especially in large family cars, any difference between C5 and other family saloons will be fairly narrow.

As for the CO2 being high, the 1.6 diesel is Band B - as far as I know I dont think any other car in that end of the market makes it into Band A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

+1
    Build quality on the current C5 is excellent. The C5 is still using the same old bulletproof 1.6 HDi engine. Current version has a CO2 of 149 g/km (band C)

:rolleyes:
    My Legacy diesel has a similar CO2 with 150bhp + 4wd.

Mazda 6 can do similar with it's current 2.0D...

The Citroen is a looker but seems to hav e no other dynamic advantages - it's basically a rebodied 407. Just goes to show what a joke COTY is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

E92 wrote: »
    Nor was the fact that this very same chassis came out 4 1/2 years ago in the form of the Peugeot 407 either.

It's actually older than that. The Peugeot 407 was based on the platform of the previous generation C5 minus the hydraulic suspension, that was released in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's actually older than that. The Peugeot 407 was based on the platform of the previous generation C5 minus the hydraulic suspension, that was released in 2001.

Has the Peugeot 407 and the C5 the same engine?

Yep same engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It seems it's a good year for Citroën......

SUV Van of the Year - C Crosser commercial

Great choice.
    Have one of these and delighted with it.

Advertisement