Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are revenue OMSP values adjusted in January?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Thinking of buying a used car in the UK soon. Will there be much difference (or any) in the OMSP value if I pay the VRT in December 08 or January 09?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rmcc1978 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a used car in the UK soon. Will there be much difference (or any) in the OMSP value if I pay the VRT in December 08 or January 09?

Hard to tell but the purchase price of the car in the UK will only get cheaper as the car will be a year older.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

almost 99% certain it will by about 8% if going by a quote I put in for a Feb 08 car compared to a Dec 07 car

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    almost 99% certain it will by about 8% if going by a quote I put in for a Feb 08 car compared to a Dec 07 car

but that is the difference in the registration date of the car, not the date you checked the OMSP. There is no doubt a feb08 car is worth at least 8% more that a Dec07 car in Ireland. In january they won't both be worth 8% less though, or at least not just based on the date.

In January both of those cars OMSP will have gone down by the same about, it usually about 1% a month, every month over the year. There won't be a big fall in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

anyone else? I'm asking the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The values will have to be adjusted. Anyone importing a 08 car this year is importing just that, a 08 car. Anyone importing the 08 car next year will have to have reduction in OMSP. It might not be as big a drop as u might think though... And for the privilage of driving an 08 plate for the last 6 weeks of the year, I wouldnt wait personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

I'm importing a 2006 car from the Uk next week, does this mean that I would be better
    off not registering it until january when it will be in effect 3 years old instead of two
    and therefore the OMSP will be cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I imported a car in Jan '07, it had droped about 900 quid from the quote i got in the last week of December '06.

X.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

xabi wrote: »
    I imported a car in Jan '07, it had droped about 900 quid from the quote i got in the last week of December '06.

X.

what % drop of the OMSP was that?

cant remeber the exact figures but id say around 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Knowing this government they will probably be adjusted upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

xabi wrote: »
    cant remeber the exact figures but id say around 15%

So the car was valued at 6000???
    Are you sure about the 15%

foxirl wrote: »
    So the car was valued at 6000???
    Are you sure about the 15%

Just found the figures, it droped 600 quid which was 12%

X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Should be an up to date OMSP released in Jan for the cars on the VRT calculation web site. However, who is going to police that? I would wait and see the difference on both months.

Advertisement