Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White breads processed

• 21-11-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I'm cutting back on processed white bread.
    Aside from the fact that processed foods are best minimised in ones diet....
    is there anyone else out there who agrees that the household name
    sliced breads seem to have more yeast or other preservatives in them
    nowadays than in days of old. Maybe I've just become fussier but
    there is a real strong malty/yeasty pong whenever I've toasted bread
    from any of the main suppliers in the toaster.

I'm cutting them out but on the other hand what's going on ? Is it
    because they are trying to get better shelf life out of them ?

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

i used to work in a bread factory (shall remain unnamed) and i believe it is used to make the bread rise faster. When orders are big, the time for each batch needs to be shorter.

Shelf life doesn't come into it. It ain't UHT bread or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I sense that the big bread companies are definitely loading more yeast into the products nowadays. I also reckon I might have a bit of yeast intolerance.
    I've tried to cut out beer for this reason too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ifconfig wrote: »
    I sense that the big bread companies are definitely loading more yeast into the products nowadays. I also reckon I might have a bit of yeast intolerance.
    I've tried to cut out beer for this reason too.
    Bread will have a massive amount of yeast compared to most commercial clear beers. The beers are fined (yeast settled out) then usually filtered. Only if you are getting bottle/cask conditioned beers will you get much yeast. These would be the cloudy beers like erdinger or paulaner. Erdinger do a kristallklar version which is filtered finely, and I find becks vier to be exceptionally clear too.

Yeast is a visible solid, if you put a tiny but of dry yeast in a pint of water you might see it. A few scraps of bread has probably way more yeast in it than your weekly intake of beer.

Weissbier crystal

The famous Bavarian specialty

Erdinger Weissbier crystal is particularly welcome as a tasty thirst-quencher for hot summer days.

This specialty wheat beer gets its crystal appearance from a particularly long filtration process, known in the industry as "fine filtration", whereby the beer becomes completely clear.

This gives Erdinger Weissbier crystal its sparkling and refreshing character - which also makes it the ideal wheat beer for warm summer days.

Brewed in strict accordance with our own traditional recipe, Erdinger Weissbier crystal meets the highest quality standards and satisfies the most sophisticated palate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Your knowledge of alcohol knows no bounds rubadub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Don't know about the relative amounts of yeast, but modern supermarket bread definitely keeps for way longer than any bread I've ever made. I used to make bread for my family every day, and usually ended up eating far too much of it, because it simply didn't keep. Right now, my eldest is eating a piece of bread that I bought last Saturday. It isn't mouldy and still looks and smells exactly the same as a week ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement