Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetables / greens ideas ?

• 21-11-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to improve my intake of vegetables. I actually like them but
    I think with the usual rush in the evening I've often slipped into the habit of putting on chicken and perhaps bell peppers or onions but little true higher fiber veg. Recently I've managed to get broccoli and cauliflower into some dishes and the occasional sugar snap peas. I like spinach but here in Mayo it is difficult to find leaf spinach fresh. It's as if there isn't the demand for it !
    What other veg of high nutritional value should I consider putting into dishes.

(I've a dairy intolerance so dishes with cheese or rich cream are out for me)

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

/sbin/ifconig :)

Carrots are an easy one. Boiled or (my preference) steamed with a smidge of butter on them...nyom. Also good for dipping into salsa.

I eat a lot of onions and mushroom. Chop them up, stick in a pan with some olive oil. Good with almost any meal.

Omellete's a good way to get extra veg in too. You can stick just about anything in that.

Soup. Winner.

The list goes on.

Maybe get a vegetarian cookbook? I'd say that'll give you some good ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

ifconfig wrote: »
    Recently I've managed to get broccoli and cauliflower into some dishes

If you like those I think you would probably like Brussel sprouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Love brussel sprouts, eat them as normal, or boil them up then blend for a lovely soup.

I eat lots of cauliflower, you can use it in all sorts of things. Also broccoli, cabbage, kale, beetroot greens, leeks, mushroom, fennel, aubergine, courgette, peppers, pumpkin, celeriac, asparagus, green beans, runner beans, spinach.

Yesterday, Supervalue was doing a special on frozen broccoli and spinach. Frozen works too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I've been cooking carrots in the microwave recently. Cut them into matchsticks, put into bowl. Add knob of butter, salt, pepper and a squeeze of orange juice. Cover and cook on high for 4 minute. Orangey, buttery carrots. Tasty. I'd imagine grated orange zest would also be good in them. If you can't have butter, just leave it out or add a little olive oil instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am not too fond of some veg, I stick it in curry sauce to mask the taste. Never tried it but I expect you could liquidise them up and add in curry powder to make an actual sauce you could use with chicken etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I make homemade burgers in a food processor that are half vegetables. I grind veg like carrots, celery and onion then mix it with minced beef, spices and a little egg. It's yummy and tastes like you're eating a normal burger but you're actually getting three portions of veg.

It's a really good trick for kids who don't like veg too, make them little patties and they won't know veg is hidden in them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭shift

I find a really easy way to get your dose of greens is to juice them. You obviously need a juicer for this but i think it's a worthwhile investment. I usually make 2x a day which suits me grand since I wouldn't know how to cook them. You will need to put carrots and/or apples to make it taste sweet (min 50%). I find them easy to drink and dont usually need put fruit in anymore. For example the one i had this morning was: 6/7 carrots, 3 leafs of kale, 1/3 of a small broccoli, 1 garlic clove (aquired taste maybe, i like it), cube of ginger root, 1 apple, 2 sticks of celery. took me about 20-30 mins between preparation and cleaning, worth it though. Also since its raw its better for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The only thing about juicing is you lose all the fibre, and they are just not as filling as eating them normally. That amount of fruit and veg is a lot of food, and would bulk out all my meals very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i get little packs of frozen veg at lidil and aldi, 5 min in the micro wave, drain and eat, a lot of different mixes, i have them twice a day, a little seasoning over them if you wish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement