Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car advie

Options
  • 21-11-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am presently driving a nissan almera saloon. My job entails a lot of driving on a daily basis. I keep alot of documentation in the car that i need on a daily basis for client meetings. I also surf a few times a week. Taking all this into account my car get pretty packed out which is frustrating to say the least. This is why i am looking for a new vehicle in the new yr and here is where i need some advice.

Ideally i want something with more room so i am settled on getting a SUV of some description. I am very interested in the VW toureg as it is big enough to hold all my stuff and comfortable to drive i have been told. Also interested in a RAV4 or something similar. I need something that is economical to run, comfortable to drive and will get me out of sand dunes(for when i hit the surf).
    I am presently filling my tank about twice a week at sixty euro a go which is putting my wallet on a severe money diet!! Ws considering a commercial suv as it would obviously be cheaper but what would the rules be regarding having people in the back as there are no seats. Can i jus bung a couple of inflatable chairs in der for the lads or is that ilegal. Also would it be worth it in the long run financially to get a 07/08/09 that is more economical on the gas or a cheaper 03/04/05 model?? I know its a lot of questions in one thread but all advice and help is much appreciated.

Giddy up

ps- i dont like estate cars so no suggestions along those lines, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Touareg is much bigger than the Rav4 and is an extremely comfortable machine. Recently spen the day in a 3.2 V6 petrol and it was whisper quiet but extremely thristy.

the 3.0V6 TDi is the sensible choice for this model.

My choice would be the LR Discovery Series 3 2.7 V6. Its a bit thirsty for a diesel but you could pick up a low mileage 06 plate in the UK for about £14-£15k plus VRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Massive difference between a Touereg and Rav4.. Depending on your budget a Discovery might not be a bad choice. A Nissan Navara would fall into more or less the same price bracket...

The Rav4 isnt really a great pick imo, we've had a few thru here and tbh theres been a few different problems..

None of these jeeps would be great on the road tho - if you do alot of mileage on the road your prob better off buying a decent diesel car - (Skoda Octavia RS, Subaru Legacy come to my mind) and compromise with your surfing - maybe try and park somewhere that doesnt involve sand?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

None of these jeeps would be great on the road tho - if you do alot of mileage on the road your prob better off buying a decent diesel car - (Skoda Octavia RS, Subaru Legacy come to my mind) and compromise with your surfing - maybe try and park somewhere that doesnt involve sand?
    +1. Although either a Subaru Outback estate or a Skoda Octavia Scout would handle sand too, and both are available in diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Discover 3 2.7 is a diesel V6. About 190bhp and 440nm of torque. Will tow up to 3 tonne and a detachable tow bar can be gotten. If you are going commercial you should get a 06, Irish in the €20,000s. MPG wise you would be looking at an average of 30, higher for motorway driving etc. and lower on city driving. Air suspension would be an extra to look out for, some of them came with coil springs, but the air suspension is very handy, especially for offroad and combined with the terrain response it makes offroading that bit easier (options for sand, gravel, grass etc. etc.)

And in relation to your question about seating, only two people can be carried (ie. you and a passenger). If you buy a crew cab like a Navara you can fit the 4 or 5 people. Any questions on the Disco gimme a shout and i'll try answer for you. Would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

thanks all. was talking to a guy i know who has a suzuki vitara and he reckons it is very good on the gas and is very economical to run. This is another model i would def consider. anyone have any feedback on he vitara. I need this type of motor more for the space than to get out of sand and i am not fond of estate type cars. drove one once and it made me old. reminds me too much of a family type car, long road trips etc.........sily excuse i know but i cant help it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Kia Ce_eed sw estate 60mpg and 150 annual road....

look old not broke.

One of the nicer looking estates €21000 new and 7 year warranty

My son sells transporter loads of them even now

Advertisement