Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for new phone/gadget

• 21-11-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some input into what phone to buy next.
    Right now I have a nokia 6300, an iRiver H120 mp3 player and a Dell Axim pda.
    I would love to get one unit to replace them all. I would also like wiredless surfing ability.
    I have bought a good few applications for the Dell which it would be nice to be able to
    transfer them to the new phone - would have to be windows then.
    Options I am looking at are iphone, n95/96 and maybe tocco, a blackberry or a palm.

I had two earlier palms originally which were good but they were just pdas at the time.

Iphone is expensive. The applications won't be transferrable and I have heard that
    coverage is not great and they are easily damaged.
    I am not sure what the pda applications are like.

The n95/96 might be ok. I don't know what is the maximum capacity for songs.
    What are the pda applications like? Is the phone good? The battery seems to have a short life.

I don't know much about tocco.

I think the blackberry won't be an mp3 player - I would want at least 16GB minimum.
    As a phone and email device it seems good. For a pda I assume its good.

The iphone seems to have the best user interface but I am not sure about the rest.
    Also the itunes can start taking liberties with the pc so I have had trouble before using the ipod.

Anyone any thoughts or experiences with these models.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eire77

hey there...have you looked at the touch hd or the touch diamond from HTC??
    i have both and going by what your lookin for the touch hd would more than meet all your needs!!
    win mob 6.1, fantastic 3.8 inch touch screen, 5 mega pix camera (not great but good enough), good mp3 player, expandable memory up to 32gb, wifi and all the other usual suspects!!
    i've had mine for about 2 weeks now and can't keep my hands off it!!
    looks great to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. I wasn't overly impressed with wm5.
    I used the axim a hell of a lot less than the palms - too slow to start, screen fiddly, lots of bsod's. A pda needs to open up fast - I went back to paper after having the axim for a year.
    However it does have a lot of what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Another phone that seems to meet some of the criteria is the samsung omnia.
    I found a video comparing the iphone, htc touch hd and the omnia here
    http://www.mobile88.com/cellphone/HTC/HTC-Touch-HD/video.asp?Title=HTC%20Touch%20HD%20vs%20iPhone%20vs%20Omnia&ID=1824

The touch hd looks good.

Where can you buy the htc touch hd? It looks like its not available from an operator. The only place I can find it is on expansys and it is sim free there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

phonesonline.ie also has it

it's a nice bit of kit

Advertisement