Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lights in Cork

Options
  • 21-11-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the Christmas lights have been switched on in the city centre? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

/looks out window!! ... uhmmm i think so yeah, but i could be imaging things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Its really hard to tell since they got those crap ones a few years ago. Not very festive.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Thanks guys. Apparently the official ones aren't lit yet, but certain streets have lights up. Just wanted to wait until they were on to go down there with the 14 month old..just at the stage where she's figuring out what all this lark is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I heard on the news a while ago that Cork's lights won't be on until December 8th but I may be wrong about this.

I know the shopping centres are lighting up early, in-line with other shopping centres around the country to try and get the punter to forget about their financial woes and add more onto their credit card:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the side streets by carey's lane and academy street seem to have them up and on. the other side of patrick street didn't seem to have them up yet.

there were some on Patrick street itself, doesn't look like the official ones yet. they were too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Given that it is not even Christmas yet I certainly hope the Christmas lights are not on!! It is bad enough that the shopping centres have them and have started playing Christmas music. The shops have their window displays up also.

Rule of thumb - Christmas = December
    January - November Inclusive = NOT Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

kingtut wrote: »
    Rule of thumb - Christmas = December

Humm, 25th December = Christmas. All right, 24th at a pinch... <looks for humbug smiley> :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Humm, 25th December = Christmas. All right, 24th at a pinch... <looks for humbug smiley> :)

25th December = Christmas Day
    24th December = Christmas Eve
    1st - 31st December Inclusive = Christmas Season

*also looks for humbug smiley (which will be removed on December 1st)*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

They are indeed up and on on the streets I mentioned. snaps attached.
    The trees are going up too - at least it's nearly December.

UCC has some lights on already too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OK, some may call be scrooge for saying this but doesn't anyone else feel we are all heading for one major financial hangover once Christmas is over??

I mean, we are being fed the whole Christmas thing for a much longer period this year than ever before and come the new year I reckon a lot of people will be in a big depression. Sorry for being all depressing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The lanterns above Carey's Lane and French Church Street are really nice - are they new this year because I've never noticed them before?

Cork in general is not well decorated at Christmas - Limerick does it better (apart from their decorations being stolen :pac:)

UCC have some stuff up - I wonder how long the tree will be up this year? They weren't allowed take down the Christmas tree last year because birds were after nesting in it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jordole

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Just wondering if the Christmas lights have been switched on in the city centre? Thanks.

Expected them to be turned on last week but no joy. Think its tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jordole

As I work in a business in Patrick Street I was expecting them up last Sunday ,as they went up the same week in 2007 and 2006. Now I thinking it might be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batsi

The lights were switched on to early this year. People do not have enough money to get over a normal Christmas (ie from 8th december). never mind an extra 30 days. Those big shops in town and the shopping centres on the outskirts will never have enough, they are GREEDY, they should read "A Christmas Carol". Some people find it hard at this time of year so the City Council should not be trying to extend this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

batsi wrote: »
    The lights were switched on to early this year. People do not have enough money to get over a normal Christmas (ie from 8th december). never mind an extra 30 days.

The lights were switched on two weeks earlier than last year, not 30 days.

Advertisement