Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MkIV Golf Indicator Switch?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much one of these is? It went the other day so I have no indicators!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Hope you remember your hand signals :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

dubmick wrote: »
    Anyone know how much one of these is? It went the other day so I have no indicators!

Is it definatley the switch, could it be the relays or fuse. I would try a scrapyard if it is the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

not sure mate. I dropped it into a mechanic on Wednesday and that's what he said. The hazards were still working. Not anymore as they went today.

Also the indicators were working when you held it down hard. You can't do that anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it's the relay that's gone it's about €40, gsfcarparts have them.

Bascially you need to remove the hazard switch itself from the dash, just gently pry it off, you will more than likely need to remove the blanking plates to the left and right of it to gain access. It's an easy job to do, should be able to manage it yourself as the new swtich just slots in, no soldering required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think the part you're looking for is 8LO 953 531 G 01C. Ring a few dealers and ask for the price.

• Advertisement

lads I'm being quoted €65 for the part and €73 for an hour's labour. Those prices are ex vat.

Am I being ripped off? TBH I just need to get it done pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

lads I'm being quoted €65 for the part and €73 for an hour's labour. Those prices are ex vat.

Am I being ripped off? TBH I just need to get it done pronto.

I'd say €65 for an original VAG part is pretty much right, the one I fitted for €40 was not an original VAG part but worked exactly the same. For the labour I would think for someone in the know if it took 10 mins that would be the absolute max. I did mine in about 15mins but I was being careful not to damage anything as it was the first time I had replaced one, someone in the know will do it quicker.

To be honest if it's going into a main dealer there's not alot you can do but pay the price.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd say €65 for an original VAG part is pretty much right, the one I fitted for €40 was not an original VAG part but worked exactly the same. For the labour I would think for someone in the know if it took 10 mins that would be the absolute max. I did mine in about 15mins but I was being careful not to damage anything as it was the first time I had replaced one, someone in the know will do it quicker.

To be honest if it's going into a main dealer there's not alot you can do but pay the price.

thanks mate, I wouldn't mind if it was a main dealer....it's just a local garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I paid 25 odd Euro for this part last year and fitted I think in 30 seconds.

thanks mate, I wouldn't mind if it was a main dealer....it's just a local garage.

'Cos it's Ok for main dealer to put a saddle on you but not an indy garage!?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I paid 25 odd Euro for this part last year and fitted I think in 30 seconds.

Indicator switch in 30 secs? Are you sure Darragh? Remove airbag, remove steering wheel then the switch and refit...... 10/15mins if you've done a few beforehand.

I'm not being smart, but are you possibly confusing it with a hazard switch?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Indicator switch in 30 secs? Are you sure Darragh? Remove airbag, remove steering wheel then the switch and refit...... 10/15mins if you've done a few beforehand.

I'm not being smart, but are you possibly confusing it with a hazard switch?

It's the relay switch for the indicators I'm talking about, it's integrated with the hazard switch on the dash. It's a common enough problem on the Mk 4 Golfs, I've done a few of them. If your indicators are acting up as well as the hazards, this is most likely your problem I've found...

'Cos it's Ok for main dealer to put a saddle on you but not an indy garage!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Nah I just would always expect to pay more for labour in a main garage

It's the relay switch for the indicators I'm talking about, it's integrated with the hazard switch on the dash. It's a common enough problem on the Mk 4 Golfs, I've done a few of them. If your indicators are acting up as well as the hazards, this is most likely your problem I've found...

I see - yes the hazard switch only takes seconds to replace - not something I'd be inclined to charge labour for. Just the price of the part and let the car off.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I see - yes the hazard switch only takes seconds to replace - not something I'd be inclined to charge labour for. Just the price of the part and let the car off.

Yeah I never charged labour for this. Small little gestures like this go a long way towards keeping your customer happy. You can tell if it is the relay in the hazards because if you try to operate the indicators and they won't work and then you flick or tip on the hazard switch and then they will usually start working for a few seconds. The problem is a partial open circuit in the relay bank because the terminals are eaten away through electrical sparking.

You can tell if it is the relay in the hazards because if you try to operate the indicators and they won't work and then you flick or tip on the hazard switch and then they will usually start working for a few seconds. The problem is a partial open circuit in the relay bank because the terminals are eaten away through electrical sparking.

that is exactly what is happening. So the mechanic should be able to do this in a few minutes?

that is exactly what is happening. So the mechanic should be able to do this in a few minutes?

You'd do it yourself in 1 minute Dubmick. It's easier than changing a wheel!

All that's involved is getting a small screwdriver or a knife and gently pop out the blank plastic cover immediately to the left of the hazard switch. Put your finger in there and push out the actual hazard switch itself, it should come out very easily with a little bit of a push to the back of the switch and a bit of a jiggle to coax it out. Plug the wire out of the back of the hazard switch, connect it to your new switch, push in your new switch, put back in your blank plastic cover to the left of the hazard switch, you're elected.

Stevie Wonder could do it in under a minute!

thanks lads, got the part this morning and fitted it on my lunch break...total cost €23.38 incl vat

thanks lads, got the part this morning and fitted it on my lunch break...total cost €23.38 incl vat

Did it sort out the problem?

• Advertisement

yep, working perfect. Took about 2 minutes to do and saved me €125

yep, working perfect. Took about 2 minutes to do and saved me €125

There ya go, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! :D:D:D

Advertisement