Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealing with Vat Importing a used Navarra

• 21-11-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I want to import a Navarra from the Uk. Do I have to pay the vat in the Uk and claim it back from them or is there and exemption form similar to the one used for new cars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

We're in recession. Have a good look around here for one first. There has got to be garages that will deal at the right money if you tell them you are going to import one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wacked

There's a recession in england too. An 04 with climate and hard top is going to cost about €8000 on the road if bought from uk . The cheapest equivalent is about €12000 in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

if your looking at an 04 model you should check out www.knackerednavara.co.uk hope it helps. best of luck either way.

THanks for that. I might upgrade to a hi-lux. Does anybody have an answer to the VAT question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

You will have to pay the vat unless you are registered for vat here.
    If so they will sell it without vat.
    There will also be VRT on it when it arrives here.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply. I am registered for Vat, but the only guy I approached in the Uk said i had to pay it and claim it back. Do tou know if there is a way to avoid this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I was looking into this a while back, wanted to bring in a Discovery. I wouldnt have even thought about the VAT, but the sales guy said that as it was for export, the VAT would be taken off. Gave my accountant a buzz and he confirmed. They are being lazy telling you to claim the VAT back. I would give them a ring back, tell them you were talking to your accountant, the VAT comes off because it is for export, thats the way it works, (They claim it back from their exchequer) and tell them to get their Accountant to confirm. Throw it back in their court.

Thanks dbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

dbar wrote: »
    I was looking into this a while back, wanted to bring in a Discovery. I wouldnt have even thought about the VAT, but the sales guy said that as it was for export, the VAT would be taken off. Gave my accountant a buzz and he confirmed. They are being lazy telling you to claim the VAT back. I would give them a ring back, tell them you were talking to your accountant, the VAT comes off because it is for export, thats the way it works, (They claim it back from their exchequer) and tell them to get their Accountant to confirm. Throw it back in their court.

+1

Advertisement