Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Arrogant car salesmen

Options
  • 21-11-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

We just visited a Toyota dealership today in Co Cork enquiring about a new Toyota. If garages have decided not to take trade-ins thats fine just tell us that, but to treat us like a s**t is uncalled for. Yes we did have a year old Skoda but they better remember they have made their millions from all of you people, the customers parting with your hard earned money. Obviously they are well cushioned by all the profits of the last 10+ years. Perhaps we are the only ones to be treated disrepectfully but we won't visit another garage without first checking if they are taking trade ins or not. It's a simple request. Yes we are very irritated:mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Nothing as bad as a pig of a salesman alrite. This day and age he should know better than to do that, and he should consider himslf lucky to still have a job!! Just to stress were not all like this (i'm not anyhow) but i know what you mean...

Apologies from the motor trade....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

His attitude will soon change. The way things are going, he's going to be trading in his job for the dole queue.

Obviously if you're changing your car, your outlook is brighter.

Chin up. That guy's a muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

sofia11 wrote: »
    We just visited a Toyota dealership today in Co Cork enquiring about a new Toyota. If garages have decided not to take trade-ins thats fine just tell us that, but to treat us like a s**t is uncalled for. Yes we did have a year old Skoda but they better remember they have made their millions from all of you people, the customers parting with your hard earned money. Obviously they are well cushioned by all the profits of the last 10+ years. Perhaps we are the only ones to be treated disrepectfully but we won't visit another garage without first checking if they are taking trade ins or not. It's a simple request. Yes we are very irritated:mad::mad:

Sorry but your post doesn't explain the situation very well? What was his manner/attitude like? What words were exchanged? You have to realise that the motor industry is experiencing a severe downfall, the market has fallen literally...

Just sell your Skoda privately, can't understand why you don't just hold on to it, I mean its almost a new car? Now is not the time to be buying new cars. We're in a recession after all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

very surprised he didn't at least offer you something for your car. every car will sell at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Cpaw wrote: »
    Sorry but your post doesn't explain the situation very well? What was his manner/attitude like? What words were exchanged? You have to realise that the motor industry is experiencing a severe downfall, the market has fallen literally...

I'd like to hear more detail too please, OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If garages have decided not to take trade-ins thats fine just tell us that, but to treat us like a s**t is uncalled for. Yes we did have a year old Skoda
    The fact that your current car is only one year old is why the dealer didn't want to deal with you. Stock like that is so undesirable at the moment. However, that's no excuse for arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You could PM colm_mcm about a new Toyota or I can give you contact details for my cousin who is a salesman closer to Cork, but without knowing exactly what happened, the outcomes may be no different.

If he offered you a price you didn't like for your year old Skoda, it is not arrogance, it is realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Name and shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Thank you for your replies. We were just looking for a price of an 08 Avensis as the Skoda Roomster has a few niggly problems, ie an open door warning light coming on which the dealer fixed and it picks up small stone chips in the brakes and makes a screeching noise. Yes I know it are trivial things and the Skoda dealer gives excellent service but it will be out of warranty in another year. I know it doesn't make financial sense but we were just window shopping and I've read Jap cars are excellent so we went into the garage, regretably. The salesman said what kind of car do you have? (Its parked in full view) A Roomster. Salesman: What, A Rooster? ha ha .Then goes over to his other two Salesmen (obviously very busy) and they all have a laugh. He comes back. No we wouldn't trade THAT in. So what do you do, you just leave..............I'm feel embarassed even telling this story but some of you asked!:(

ned78 wrote: »
    Name and shame!
    Agreed - I'd like to see more dealers named for both good and bad experiences on this forum. I understand the legal implications of naming and shaming but if the post is correctly worded then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

While they had a point on trading the Roomster, they could have been courteous about it.

If your on the lookout for an Avensis then hold back - they're dying to get rid of the current model so they can launch the new model. You can drive a hard bargain if you hold out. But as I said, your relatively new Roomster will make life hard in certain dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

well at least he talked to ye, i spend 10 to 20 minutes like a spare in a volswagen showroom ,plenty of salesmen but none of them bother there barney , i told this to a mate in the motor trade he told me they were probably suffering from depression as they have sold no cars straight deals and have acres of used cars unsold and now there regulars are coming to change and they are insulting them with trade in prices

crosstownk wrote: »
    If your on the lookout for an Avensis then hold back - they're dying to get rid of the current model so they can launch the new model. You can drive a hard bargain if you hold out. But as I said, your relatively new Roomster will make life hard in certain dealers.

The uncle has at least 10 08 Avensis in the showroom going nowhere. There's deals to be had on them. Expect to part with more than you expect, maybe up to €8k-€10k

ninty9er wrote: »
    The uncle has at least 10 08 Avensis in the showroom going nowhere.

And there's plenty more in Killeen to be shifted........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

LOL :D Them 'Roomsters' remind me of a funeral hearse :D They aren't really a desirable car and I don't see many about. Although sorry to hear about that salesman - that was uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Serves you right for looking at an Avensis in the first place!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

A guy I know in sales told me only today that they have been instructed to not take in any trade in's, not even from current customers (folks who bought a new car from this outlet within the last 2-3 years), because they can't shift what is already on the forecourt.

In a way it makes sense, if you are already substantially overstocked, you can't go taking in any more stock. At the same time, you can't sell new cars if you can't take a trade in because you know that trade in will be in your yard along with 10 of the same models for the next 6-9 months.

It's difficult to see how this situation can be resolved without some state/external intervention, for example a once off special tax rate for used cars for a six month period, to flush these cars out of the system.

It is clear that the dealership system is constipated with used cars, not unlike how the property market is also constipated with properties that nobody wants to buy.

I'm also hearing from one large dealership in sandyford that there is no shortage of enquiries, but getting people through finance is now getting quite difficult.

I'd like to be able to look into the future and see how this will all be resolved, because as things stand, a lot of folks look like they will be out of business before any effort is made to get to grips with the problem, consistent with how the wider economic problems are being allowed to unfold without any strategy as to how to recover the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

crosstownk wrote: »
    If your on the lookout for an Avensis then hold back - they're dying to get rid of the current model so they can launch the new model.
    I went looking for an 1.4d Luna Auris last week and was offered an Avensis diesel for 500eu extra. There's a new Avensis due out soon and some dealers are pushing the current model. F''' him and try a few different dealers. 4 years ago in a different 'economic climate' I was trading in a 4yo fiat and two toyota dealers didnt care and 2 were prepared to deal.

Shop around and be prepared to drive a few km.

Possibly try a toyota dealer that has a skoda outlet nearby??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Darragh29 wrote: »
    AIt's difficult to see how this situation can be resolved without some state/external intervention, for example a once off special tax rate for used cars for a six month period, to flush these cars out of the system.

It is clear that the dealership system is constipated with used cars, not unlike how the property market is also constipated with properties that nobody wants to buy.
    The reason cars (and houses) aren't selling at the moment is that sellers haven't yet reconciled themselves to the prices that potential buyers are willing to pay. They will, though, and then the market will start moving again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

so you are saying the avensis's will cost 10k more than the should how is that a deal. ???
    ninty9er wrote: »
    The uncle has at least 10 08 Avensis in the showroom going nowhere. There's deals to be had on them. Expect to part with more than you expect, maybe up to €8k-€10k

so you are saying the avensis's will cost 10k more than the should how is that a deal. ???

Wouldn't be a deal if you're trading, but they're going for under €21k straight deal with under 10k on the clock, but wouldn't expect to get more than €12k for the Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Just saw a report on CNN this evening, a dealership in Hong Kong with a yard full of used Bentleys.
    Can't shift em at all, all the big wigs are getting shut of them. Some of them hardly driven in.
    You could have one for around $13,000 US.
    Their right hand drive so they'd be grand for driving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A hardly driven-in Bentley for $13,000, eh? Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Anan1 wrote: »
    A hardly driven-in Bentley for $13,000, eh? Link?
    Not sure, maybe try cnn.com or watch the report when it comes up. At least thats what I tought I heard him say the price they were going for:confused:

Anan1 wrote: »
    The reason cars (and houses) aren't selling at the moment is that sellers haven't yet reconciled themselves to the prices that potential buyers are willing to pay. They will, though, and then the market will start moving again.

That's only one side of the equation.

For this to occur, dealers will have to sell the current stock at a substantial loss. When you start selling widgets for less than you paid for same widgets, you will be out of business in a short time. I take your point, there are clearly two opposing arguments here:

(A) Buyers won't buy at current prices.

(B) Dealers won't sell at prices that buyers currently want to buy for...

There is also a factor of a severe shortage of credit here. What I can't understand is that it would appear that credit is available for new cars but not for used cars. People can buy new cars but just cannot get rid of the current car that they have. The scariest thing about all of this is that there isn't a sign of a strategy to resolve this. There isn't even discussion of the need for a strategy to fix this... So as the weeks/months roll on, the value of the vehicles is decreasing more and more, and the price ultimately secured for these used vehicles sitting on forecourts will be further away from the price that was paid for the cars when they were taken in, so the loss will be greater to the dealer with each passing week... Multiply this by the number of used vehicles sitting on a single forecourt and you start to get a feel for the financial loss that is unravelling here...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....the Skoda Roomster has a few niggly problems, ie an open door warning light coming on which the dealer fixed and it picks up small stone chips in the brakes and makes a screeching noise. .......... I've read Jap cars are excellent so we went into the garage......

You're quite right of course - the salesman (sic) was an ass, and there's no call for that...........it's a long road that has no turn, etc.........

Now, I'm as fickle as bejeesus when it comes to cars, but to be changing a car over a door-open light, which was fixed.......and stones on the road are not Skoda's fault is............er, fickle, more fickle than I, even. Possibly. Put it this way: expensive bulb !!

Your Skoda is right up there in terms of reliability - Jap cars are good, but not perfect - and especially not current gen Avensis - some have needed new engines :eek: That's cost a lot more than a bulb, tbh.....

Keep the car.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    (A) Buyers won't buy at current prices.

(B) Dealers won't sell at prices that buyers currently want to buy for...

There is also a factor of a severe shortage of credit here.

That sums up the current state of our economy very well. The prices at which houses and cars actually sell atm are way below equilibrium in many cases. Only desperate sellers are actually selling - they might be forced to do so. Some buyers sense the opportunity and buy.

Most others, buyers and sellers alike, do nothing. The shortage of credit for consumers is bad, but nowhere near as bad as the shortage of additional temporary credit for (otherwise healthy) small businesses

unkel wrote: »
    That sums up the current state of our economy very well. The prices at which houses and cars actually sell atm are way below equilibrium in many cases. Only desperate sellers are actually selling - they might be forced to do so. Some buyers sense the opportunity and buy.

Most others, buyers and sellers alike, do nothing. The shortage of credit for consumers is bad, but nowhere near as bad as the shortage of additional temporary credit for (otherwise healthy) small businesses

Agreed, the thing is, retailers can live without a car loan for a new car, it might mean holding onto the car for another year but you'll survive. The same isn't true for small businesses, many of which are going to go to the wall in the very near future because our government have yet to come up with a plan to get capital mobility back into the economy and to take control of the situation from the banks.

My 2 cents worth... This whole episode is fairly quickly going to make the worst of the 1980's look like a trip to Disneyland if don't start seeing some leadership from the government and small businesses being given access to working capital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Typical Toyota attitude and unfortunate buyers get stung constant. Toyota's or Japanese are not the best cars at all. Ok some are good but they remind me of the way Sony were good and how Liverpool and the Dub's gaa team were once the hot stuff. Toyota's are bland ugly and undesirable. To trade in a Skoda for one in my books is madness. If you want reliabity stick to the Skoda or upgrade to it's big brother VW.

Don't bother with Toyota you will be left with a slow ugly and undesirable box car with the drivabilty of a shopping trolly.

Advertisement