Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Arrogant car salesmen

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭corkandproud

What exactly has the OP done about this? Apart from complain on the internet?

You can be damn sure a letter of complaint would be treated seriously by the manager of the dealership, the demeanor and professionalism of his/her salesmen if of the utmost importance to the business.

Don't mind the dealership, ring Toyota Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

AudiChris wrote: »
    Based on what you know and what you've read in this thread, what would your solution to the current situation be?

Well fortunately I'm not in the trade and so I don't need to come up with the solution. You guys do. I'm not being facetious and that's not a dig at you Chris, in fact your posts are a breath of fresh air.

My point is still this, refusing to do business with the vast majority of customers who walk in to your showroom doesn't make any sense. The industry is on it's ass and you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot. Offer customers a realistic trade in value and do a deal. Yes, some will balk at the cost to change figure but some will go ahead. Surely, this is better than telling customers you're not interested in their business because they have a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The two biggest issues I see at the moment (and again, it's a microcosm of the housing market) are negative equity and lack of credit.
    Have to disagree with your housing market analogy - cars (with a decreasing number of exceptions) never appreciate in value:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

That's part of the game though, the car you're trading in is never as desirable as the car you're (supposed to be) buying.
    One of the tricks of the salesperson's toolkit is to assess the trade-in with the customer next to you, subtly pointing out each ding and scratch. It's supposed to reinforce the idea that their car is old and requiring replacement.
    Also, after test-driving the new car, make sure to park it next to the trade-in so that the customer can see their "old banger" next to their "shiny new motor".

Interesting.

In defence of a certain toyota garage I asked for a trade in on my focus sometime ago, and the only reason I was in the garage was to buy oil and filters for another car.

There was no bull, no your car is crap. The salesman acknowledged my car was like new, although the miles were a little high, made a phone call to a trade buyer there and then to ascertain a price and told me exactly where I stood.

I have found toyota dealer to be generally very straight and down the line. Ford dealers however...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I think anyone that goes into a dealer and is just looking for a value for their car has basically already made their mind up that they want to change the car that they have. The price that the dealer gives them initally comes as a shock to them because they had a much smaller figure in their minds that it would cost to change. Dealers must give customers time to accept that this is what they will have to pay to change. eventually the people that are serious about changing will begin to accept that it is going to cost more than they had anticipated but those that are really serious will come back and try to negotiate the best deal that they can. The worst situation is where a dealer wont accept your car as a trade in at all. I think that this is inexcusable. However if you keep shopping around eventually you will find a dealer that will take your car, you will pay more than you expected but if you like the new car that you buy the old one will soon be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 in51der

The problem you experienced I would like to say is isolated but alas not. The reasons why a lot of dealers are not taking trade-ins is that they need to reduce their stock limits in the most challenging market the motor trade has seen for many many years. The experience you have had probably goes a long way to describe why so many dealers are not selling any cars, lazy unprofessional staff who can only sell a car if a customer waves his credit card at them, points and says;

“I want that one!”

If they actually have to give any advice or explain the benefits of the product they are trying to sell I am afraid that many are left sadly wanting. Luckily there are many dealers out there who may like to make the effort to try and underwrite your cars value and construct a deal for you, My advice would be call some dealers first and explain that you are a serious buyer and that you would like to buy a new car but need to trade in your existing one first, saving any potential embarrassment by meeting another numbskull. Also why not try calling the Skoda dealers and ask them to give you a ball park value or whether maybe they would like to buy it? Yes late used cars are in plentiful supply at present but they are also great value against a brand new one so they are selling well too. The important thing is if a dealer wants your business he must be prepared to work hard to achieve this or prepare to close down and get another job. Unfortunately like most things in business it’s about the people and if you get a bad one which you clearly did then it can leave a bad impression of all sales people, which is obviously not always the case. It is truly irrelevant whether you were actually going to buy a new car at that precise moment, if a dealer wants to stay in business they should be consistent and treat each person entering the showroom with respect. Will you go back to this place when you are ready to sell? Of course not.
    Good luck MTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Thank you all for your support and my husband feels better about it today because he said he never felt so ridiculed.
    Of course we would love to name and shame but I doubt the moderator would allow this. I want to take this further and does anyone know who I could contact at Toyota Ireland about this? We don't want anyone sacked or anything but we do want them reprimanded. That was uncalled for behaviour from this arrogant bullyboy. It appears he was the head salemansman too. I would appreciate your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Specific Product Query
    If you have a specific product issue or customer complaint and would like to speak to a Customer Relations Executive, you can do so via:
    Online :
    Our contact form
    Phone :
    01 419 0222
    Customer Relations Dept., Toyota Motor Centre,
    Merrion Road,
    Dublin 4

http://www.toyota.ie/contact/

If you have a complaint, I'd strongly advise you write a letter instead of an email.
    Ok, it can be done directly from the website but in my experience someone who takes the time to do a letter of complaint and post it is taken a lot more seriously than a quick 2 minute email

I don't have to say it but remember, dates, times and names are needed

Reply back here if you get a response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

sofia11 wrote: »
    Hello and thank you all for a very interesting debate. Just to clarify we were just window shopping and not BUYING any thing. All we wanted was a PRICE. We didn't even get a price or some sort of explanation, Ok we might not be happy with the price but at least it would have been more professional. I'm happy with my Roomy, theres's no law against asking is there? Not everybody who goes into a garage buys a car.
    As some of you have kindly explained that dealerships aren't taking trade ins, surely now that we are bombarded by ads for new cars on TV and papers it should read in the T&C that non car owners only need apply!!!!:p

You may as well complain to Toyota, but wont forget to mention that "you were (tire kicking) sorry window shopping and not BUYING anything"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Thanks micmclo, if we could have the name of the particular person at Toyota responsible for this type of complaint it would certainly be better. Yes I intended to write a letter rather than email. I will certainly let you all know the outcome as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

ninty9er wrote: »
    The uncle has at least 10 08 Avensis in the showroom going nowhere.
    There's deals to be had on them. ......Expect to part with more than you expect, maybe up to €8k-€10k
    is that not a contradiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

sofia11 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your support and my husband feels better about it today because he said he never felt so ridiculed.
    Of course we would love to name and shame but I doubt the moderator would allow this. I want to take this further and does anyone know who I could contact at Toyota Ireland about this? We don't want anyone sacked or anything but we do want them reprimanded. That was uncalled for behaviour from this arrogant bullyboy. It appears he was the head salemansman too. I would appreciate your advice.

Let it go is my advice. The poor lad is probably waiting for redundancy and stressed off his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

The least a salesman should be able to do is have common decency, even in this troubled time. I cannot understand why some salesmen couldnt be bothered treating their customers with some respect.

For example, last year me da went into a large multi-brand dealers in Galway, asking about a new A6 3l TDI.

The salesman was sitting at a desk, looked up only once throughout the conversation, and never seemed in the least bit intersted.

Dad went down the road and bought a Volvo instead.

A sense of customer appreciation means a lot to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Don't mind the dealership, ring Toyota Ireland
    +1
    is that not a contradiction?
    No. The cash price is lower than it would have been, however with a car as undesirable as the Roomster you would expect to pay a level above cash, but still lower than paying the €26k the car was new minus 6-8 months depreciation.

I had reason to be waiting for a while to see the uncle the other day and 4 people were given approximate cost to change, and told that it would be January before a definite price could be given, 3 in the showroom and one on the phone.

It does no harm to give a price, if it doesn't meet customer expectations you're unlikely to be held to it anyway.

Advertisement