Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car recommendations for dog

Options
  • 21-11-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

The dog won't be driving but would like a nice bit of room (labrador) ,
    is an estate the only option or would a hatchback work?
    Does anyone successfully use a hatchback, a qashqai or anthing that's not an estate to lug thier best friend around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

cyborg wrote: »
    Does anyone successfully use a hatchback, a qashqai or anthing that's not an estate to lug thier best friend around?

i use a veccy b sri hatchback

he's a rotty/lab cross and has loads of room

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Get a Forester. Not a turbo though, it frightens them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In the interest of your and the dogs' safety get something where you can fit a bespoke, sturdy dog guard. The aftermarket ones are useless and in some hatchbacks you can't really fit one at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

You were well ahead of the posse stating the dog wouldn't be driving,

Pity, I was looking forward to the smart comments.

Had the same issue from the wife and we sold her lovely new convertable because of new dog

Suits me fine ...money in the bank and shes now driving a dog of a car.

Your dog really doesn't care what car its in

so why should you (care) .... i am being serious.

I see this all the time with people and/ dogs / children grannies etc.

Also people change to real expensive diesel cars to save money on fuel ,not realising the depreciation is always abigger cost than fuel.

People seem to find all sorts of excuses to change the car for no reason other then perhaps a subconsious desire for change.

So have i just saved you a load of money and frustration ! or will you have to spend it on a dog psycologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

peasant wrote: »
    In the interest of your and the dogs' safety get something where you can fit a bespoke, sturdy dog guard. The aftermarket ones are useless and in some hatchbacks you can't really fit one at all.

this is very true

my fella leans into the rigid gaurd i made him whe we go fast so he dosent get thrown forward on the brakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

biggus wrote: »

Your dog really doesn't care what car its in

so why should you (care) .... i am being serious.

People seem to find all sorts of excuses to change the car for no reason other then perhaps a subconsious desire for change.

I already have a volvo v70 t5 with inbuilt dog guard which is the perfect dog carrier although he spends most of the time pressed against the back window :)
    This car would be for my wife who wont drive an estate but needs something that will carry a dog without looking like a farmer. @Anan1 thats the forester out!
    So far we have vectra hatch any other ideas?, I assume a mondeo hatch would also work, focus would probably be too small I guess...

Depends on what else needs to be carried other than the dog.

The Lab would fit in a VW Lupo with the rear seats down :D

Depends on what else needs to be carried other than the dog.

The Lab would fit in a VW Lupo with the rear seats down :D

Lol. I'll suggest a Lupo to her and stand well back...
    Needs be a 5dr and focus upwards in size, she quite likes the qashqai but I'm not sure if that would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I use a VW Passat. Not the estate, but the normal saloon. My dog fits nicely into the boot.

I used to put him in the back seats with plastic seat covers to protect the leather, but he keeps barking and trying to jump into the front passenger seat. That or nudging my shoulder when driving. I lost count of how many times he got his head stuck somewhere or found himself upside down on the floor and started panicking. Stupid dog. Now he goes in the boot and couldn't be happier. :)

My neighbor drives a Mondeo and does the same with his dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

get an alfa 159 sportswagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I sold a Scenic to a woman recently who is big into dogs, does dog shows etc. etc. and shows some sort of African dog, apparently there main dog or how ever you want to put it. Anyway... big dog. She got advice from a few of her friends that a cage fits perfectly into the booth with loads of space etc. etc. and she seemed very happy with. It was a 01 Scenic.

Whoever puts their dog in the boot (of a saloon car) deserves to be transported in the same way. *

*personal opinion as a dog owner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

cyborg wrote: »

My Labrador drives two cars, both are Station Wagons - Mercedes S123 300TD and Mercedes S124 E220T. I would highly recommend the 124 series estate - excellent car for a dog.
    See the photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32645863@N07/3047910967/ (W124)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32645863@N07/3048753994/ (W123)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

its gotta be a discovery, every week we load up the disco and feck off somewhere far far away, dog has half the car to herself. can be converted back to 7 seater for normal passengers or 5 seater still with room in the back for the dog. in other words its an estate when you want or van (or van'ish) when you want. plenty of windows to keep the dog captivated watching things go by. Ive often slept in the car but eventually snuck into the back cause the dog has all that room to herself back there :D but dont buy a disco unless you like fixing things/ spending moneys fixn things all the time

edited to say I forgot the bit where you said she dint want to look like a farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

biggus wrote: »
    You were well ahead of the posse stating the dog wouldn't be driving,

Pity, I was looking forward to the smart comments.
    +1

:D:D
    Whoever puts their dog in the boot (of a saloon car) deserves to be transported in the same way. *

*personal opinion as a dog owner

I'd consider it a good way to transport a troublesome dog, otherwise I see no reason why a doggy seatbelt couldn't be used in the rear seat.

OP:

How about an A3?

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'd consider it a good way to transport a troublesome dog, otherwise I see no reason why a doggy seatbelt couldn't be used in the rear seat.

If a dog causes trouble while in the car, it needs training, not solitary confinement in a dark, noisy, moving, shaking box.

That'll only make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Kia Ceed sw diesel, cheap tax cheap car, 7 year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

You really can't beat an estate with a proper boot with a big dog like a lab. I have used the mazda 3 to transport the o/h's husky, taking out the boot cover there is enough room for him but i think he looks mildly cramped.
    He usually goes on the back seat once you start moving he's good sitting looking out the window.

We had an omega estate when we had a sheep dog he loved all the room.
    Id recommend one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I agree. If I were a dog, i'd want my people to buy an estate rather than a hatchback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Bluefoam wrote: »
    get an alfa 159 sportswagon

I'm sure your dog would be a very unhappy one in the back of one of them. It's predecessor, the 156 Sportwagon, was probably the only estate variant of a car ever made that was less practical than it's saloon counterpart.

I'm by no means suggesting the 159 Sportwagon is the same as it's predecessor by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anan1 wrote: »
    I agree. If I were a dog, i'd want my people to buy an estate rather than a hatchback.

:D:D:D:D:D

some dogs like to look out the windows :)
    seeing the horizon can prevent car sickness. So depending on how tall or small the dog is.....
    I had a cavalier king charles and she was never gonna be able to look out the windows no matter what but we trained her to sleep whenever she got into the car. My other dog once couldnt see out and when i let him out he ran over to a bush and puked :eek:
    He loves to look out, he is a sheepdog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

drver1 wrote: »
    Kia Ceed sw diesel, cheap tax cheap car, 7 year warranty.

We have 2 laB Xs and I'm looking to trade in an avensis estate. The boot is flush with the back of the car so if your dog is older or you aim to keep a car for a good few years its not so much of an ask for the dog to jump in and out of the boot. We also have a C4 7 seater and the boot is also level and low so its suits the older dogs.

I've just looked at the Qashqi, Auris and new Megane as diesel replacements and their boot floors are lower than the lip of the boot. So I guess it depends on how old your dog is or how long you intend to keep the car or possibly buy one of those stairs to let the older dog walk up the boot so you dont have to lift it in:)

The Ceed's boot floor is flush with the boot lip but I didnt like the gear changes and driver seat compared to the qashqi. The Ceed's price, warranty and 50/50 payment deal are tempting me though.

Argos used to sell a waterproof dog cover for rear seats. We used it in previous cars or when we need the estate boot for carrying something else and it worked well, so you could buy a saloon, hatchback and forget about the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

go with a ROVER:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I always advocate something with darkened windows for dogs, convertibles for the good looking girls.

We have tried the back seat covers and to be honest the dog hair just ends up all over the car, in the front on the dash etc. Would never consider putting the dog in the boot, he likes to look out the window and he likes to breathe too.
    I was wondering how long before the humorous comments would roll in , just waiting now for E92 to tell me how dogs prefer petrol cars over diesel and how they appreciate the reduced NVH and sweet sound that only a six cylinder engine can provide....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My mutt sits in the front foot well. If there are passengers too he sits on the back seat.

My car is plenty big for him & it just a regular hatch back...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt let a dog into anything more refined than a landrover defender.
    Both would be happy on the farm and really should be seen nowhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Those dog guards are lethal for the dog if you crash or even have to jam on the brakes.

OP, a canine harness you can fasten into the seatbelt holder is much safer and stops the dog jumping around (if he gets giddy in the car).

• Advertisement
Advertisement