Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved to Ireland and need info' about repeat prescriptions.

• 21-11-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me. We moved to Ireland 2 weeks ago and we don't properly know yet how the medical system works here.

Do we have to register with a doctor?
    I need a monthly precription, how do I go about ordering these and for example do I have to go to the Docs' each month to get it?
    What are the costs involved ?

I would be very grateful for any information.

Thank you in advance.

flynnboy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

THe bad news (if you're not already aware of it) is that GP services are generally not free. If your income is low, you will be eligible for a medical card. Check out www.citizensinformation.ie for more details. This will cover basic GP services and perscription costs. You'll need to find a GP who is accepting new medical card patients. If you have a moderate level of income, you'll find yourself paying €50 approx per GP visit, though you can get tax relief on this.

I don't think there is any general policy re. repeat perscriptions. It depends whether the doc needs to see you each month to check your condition. Some GPs will issue a repeat perscription via the secretary at little or no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thank you serialcomplainer that was very helpful.

Kind regards

flynnboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

yeah i paid about 55euro last time I went to see my GP. Does anyone know how much you have to pay towards medical expenses before you can claim tax back in a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

snorlax wrote: »
    yeah i paid about 55euro last time I went to see my GP. Does anyone know how much you have to pay towards medical expenses before you can claim tax back in a year?

Over €125 for a single person - see http://www.revenue.ie/forms/med1.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I have to go to my doctor every six months for repeat prescriptions. The practice of secretaries offering the service is not really done anymore, as the doctor needs to review the dosage on a as need be basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement