Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UNLIMITED movie rentals for just 99c until February 2009

• 21-11-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

[Link]

Sign up to Moviestar and get unlimited rentals, 1 dvd at a time for 99cent. Pay on sign up and then nothing till Feb 09.

Promo code is: buy4now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think its 99c for the month? They usually charge a monthly fee and from what I can gather its 99c for the month. Dunno..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sueme wrote: »
    I think its 99c for the month? They usually charge a monthly fee and from what I can gather its 99c for the month. Dunno..

Just 99cent, then pay nothing till February!

View the picture to see the offer.

Ah, I see where you said "1 dvd at a time" - I thought you meant 99c PER dvd.

I went to Xtravision today with a couple of household bills to open an account, but they needed photo id so I couldn't join:rolleyes:. Moviestar it is.

Thanks Davton.

davton wrote: »
    View the picture to see the offer.

Shiny picture helps me to understand... :o:P

• Advertisement

Shiny picture helps me to understand... :o:P

1000 words and all that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Does anyone know how you cancel this before february? couldnt find how to on the site.

Does anyone know how you cancel this before february? couldnt find how to on the site.

How do I cancel my subscription?

Log in, click on "My Account" then choose "Cancel Membership" and follow the instructions. It is essential to cancel your membership no later than the day before your next payment date and before returning your last DVD so that we do not send another. You must return all remaining discs after cancelling, getting a receipt of posting as proof of return, to ensure that you are not charged for another month's subscription. (We allow an extra 2 days for return of discs beyond the next payment date.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Doh, how did i miss that? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

No extra charge for blu-ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mikep

Thank OP...just signed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Just signed up. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

just signed up too.....cheers buddy!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

One more post chillywilly !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I was with this lot earlier this year and left, atrocious customer service, never got the movies near the top of the Q, waited nearly 2 months for some movies, despite emailing them several times the problems weren't resolved. Then I cancelled my account. Cue a barrage of 'Please come back, we're better now' emails. Never did rejoin. Shame though cos its a good idea if only it was run properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I've been with them over a year no problems at all I had been with Screenclick who were a disaster at least Moviestar send your new movie as soon as they get yours back Screenclick took 2-3 days sometimes these online ones seem to be a bit slow at getting new releases though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How does this work so? 99c per movie or unlimited movies for 99c till Feb?

RasTa wrote: »
    How does this work so? 99c per movie or unlimited movies for 99c till Feb?

unlimited movies for 99c till Feb a single payment of 99cent

• Advertisement

unlimited movies for 99c till Feb a single payment of 99cent

cool cool, I signed up anyway. What about TV series? Anyone know if you can rent them?

RasTa wrote: »
    cool cool, I signed up anyway. What about TV series? Anyone know if you can rent them?

Yes they have a selection, but of course you cant get a whole series at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Oshare Bones

Do you have to provide a CC for this offer or will a Laser do?

Do you have to provide a CC for this offer or will a Laser do?

They take Visa, Laser and Mastercard.

Anyone rent anything? Everything seems like it's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭smilgy

couldnt find on their site, do they do free postage back, or do you have to pay it yourself ?

smilgy wrote: »
    couldnt find on their site, do they do free postage back, or do you have to pay it yourself ?

Free postage and envelope provided.

I'm trying to sign up with a 3V voucher and keep getting:

Fails Realscore Fraud Checks: 1011(<3)

I've tried a few different ones and keep getting this message :mad:

I even tried my Wirecard one and that just gave me a straight "DECLINED"

Anyone else use a 3v?

edit:: It finally worked with my Wirecard details after I left out the "start date" for the credit card. Still don't think it works with 3V though.

Got my first movie yesterday having qued it up on Monday. Cheers OP! Now to see the CC bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kanchelskis

Same as, RATM. Really good idea but on your list of 1-10 movies you never get the ones you want and forget about the latest releases. Its a good site if you want to get classics etc though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Ordered on Sunday; arrived Tuesday. I believe the film I got (Million Dollar Baby [2004]) was 5th on my list of 10.

Does anyone know how they dispense multi-disc documentaries? I assume they give you each disc, one at at time, in the proper order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fnz wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they dispense multi-disc documentaries? I assume they give you each disc, one at at time, in the proper order?
    Unfortunately, they give you one disc at a time in no particular order.

Was annoying when they starting sending me out 'The West Wing - Series 1 - Disc 6' when I hadn't even see the previous 5 discs! :D

PS - I signed up too for their Blu-ray rental service alone.. got 'The Assassination of Jesse James' on Monday but probably won't get around to watching it til weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

basquille wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they give you one disc at a time in no particular order.

Was annoying when they starting sending me out 'The West Wing - Series 1 - Disc 6' when I hadn't even see the previous 5 discs! :D
    Oh, that's not what people want! I should be ok with my selection (nature documentaries don't absolutely have to be viewed sequentially). They really do "pop" in HD from what I've seen in stores selling fancy TVs.
    basquille wrote: »
    I signed up too for their Blu-ray rental service alone.. got 'The Assassination of Jesse James' on Monday but probably won't get around to watching it til weekend.

Me too - gotta put that PS3 to work, lol. I could just about find 10 modern-ish blu-rays I care enough about to add to my queue. Apparently you should go for the more recent stuff if you want the best high-def experience. The older stuff, on blu-ray, isn't quite as good, from what I've heard. The exception to this general rule is The Godfather saga - which was painstakingly re-somethinged (:o) for blu-ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

for everyone who's using them, i would be very wary of any details you give them, and keep any eye on your account, considering the history of their owners:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054980858

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054987711

funnily enough, someone posted about this lot on another forum i'm on, earlier this evening, and said that they were after getting a dvd off them which had "Not For Rental" on it, ie. they're purchasing the dvds in shops and renting them through their site, which is illegal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

funnily enough, someone posted about this lot on another forum i'm on, earlier this evening, and said that they were after getting a dvd off them which had "Not For Rental" on it, ie. they're purchasing the dvds in shops and renting them through their site, which is illegal.

Just to point out, that as long as they are paying the Movie company for the rental rights, it isn't illegal. Sometimes they are forced to use non rental copies of older movies simply because the rental versions are no longer available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 SpiceLMF

Just signed up for this. I've been looking for a replacement for Netflix (american online dvd rental) so hopefully this will be good. It will be hard to compare the two though especially as Netflix has a massive collection and tons can be watched instantly on their streaming service.

We'll see how it goes. For .99 cent it's worth trying.

SpiceLMF wrote: »
    Just signed up for this. I've been looking for a replacement for Netflix (american online dvd rental) so hopefully this will be good. It will be hard to compare the two though especially as Netflix has a massive collection and tons can be watched instantly on their streaming service.

We'll see how it goes. For .99 cent it's worth trying.

Moviestar are working on 'Download movies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

When you log in to your account does it say anything in 'currently rented'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SpiceLMF

Moviestar are working on 'Download movies'

Bah windows media player. I'm a mac user, though if they put up anything that's interesting I can always use Parallels to run windows and watch.

Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Cheers for the link,i took advantage of a similar offer from Screenclick before and it went well.:)

Thanks from me also. Hope there won't be too much hassle from them when I cancel. I've read you get snowed under with junk mail?

Also there's only one dvd I want from them to rent. If I leave just the one in my queue will I get that when it comes available? Or must you have to have a minimum of 10 or more to get anything at all?

Thanks from me also. Hope there won't be too much hassle from them when I cancel. I've read you get snowed under with junk mail?

Also there's only one dvd I want from them to rent. If I leave just the one in my queue will I get that when it comes available? Or must you have to have a minimum of 10 or more to get anything at all?

Cancelling is straight forward. They will send the odd offer is you dont delete your account.

If you leave just the one movie in the list im not sure, havent tried it. They will email you though to tell you to add ten movies to your list.

Does anybody know what happens the frial trialists now that screenclick has taken over moviestar? I had already done a free trial with screenclick and used the same email address and details for that as the moviestar one. I tried to log into the screenclick website with my moviestar login details but couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Does anybody know what happens the frial trialists now that screenclick has taken over moviestar? I had already done a free trial with screenclick and used the same email address and details for that as the moviestar one. I tried to log into the screenclick website with my moviestar login details but couldn't.

I got this email today, seems like everything is the same but you will be sent a new password, old login details won't work
    Hi,

As part of your integration into Screenclick.com – your new online DVD rental provider, your password has been reset.

To log into your account please go to www.screenclick.com, use this email address and your new password ****. Once you log in please verify that your contact details (postal address and phone number) are correct.

As part of the integration your Rental History and Rental Queue have been imported. Some titles may have been removed but these titles will be added to our system over the coming weeks.

If you have any queries please contact our support team at support@Screenclick.com or alternatively ring 0818 270 710.

Regards
    The Screenclick team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Got a mail saying they will mail us to tell us when you can login to the screenclick site with your moviestar details, mine didn't work either when I tried earlier.

Just returned three DVDs to them in the post today, so hopefully it will be a seamless changeover.

MC

What ^^^ they said!

Screenclick will be wondering whats going on when everyone starts canceling their accounts at the end of the month.

Lesson 12 in How to Sell a Business in a Recession, 2009 Edition. :pac:

Screenclick will be wondering whats going on when everyone starts canceling their accounts at the end of the month.

Lesson 12 in How to Sell a Business in a Recession, 2009 Edition. :pac:

Are they that bad? Have been complaining to Moviestar for a while now about the crap service but I think this may just be the straw that broke the camels back.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i logged into my new screenclick acc. today it looks like a nightmare compared to moviestar.anyone else feel the same it seems impossible find films/new releases etc.?

Not really a nightmare but the insistence on installing SilverLight (won't be happening) is a big no no, support for an MS tech is a rather silly way to go, flash is the industry standard and well regarded.

MC

• Advertisement
Advertisement