Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Anyone Planning A 2yr whv

Options
  • 21-11-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

A word of advice for anyone planning on going to Aus or NZ on the 2 year work visa, be very careful make sure you make it back to Irealnd within the 2 years because if you dont and return to Ireland and cant find work which will be increasengly likely you will not be entilled to claim the dole or other social welfare beacuse you have to be resident in the state for 2 years before you can claim, so if you are out of the country for more than 2 years you get nothing it doesnt matter if you are a citizen and spent your entire life in Ireland you will get nothing, so for anyone planning on going i just though id give a heads up, cause im sure people will be affected by this and they could be in for a nasty shock when they return home after more than 2 years.

P.S Perhaps this could be put up as a sticky cause it could affect a lot of people given the state of the country at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

According to a conversation I had with the Welfare, 2 years living here is the usual way to get habitual residence. But there are others: I imagine having been away on a WHV is one, another they offered me was signing an affadavit saying that I have no ties to any other country.

Someone who knows more may want to some research before stickying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hopefully with the skills you earned working abroad you wouldn't need the dole.
    There is nearly always work out there, people just don't like lowering their standards.

If all else fails, go back to the country you came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Rabies wrote: »
    Hopefully with the skills you earned working abroad you wouldn't need the dole.
    There is nearly always work out there, people just don't like lowering their standards.

If all else fails, go back to the country you came from.

If only that was true Rabies . Not always that easy to get a job .

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Trailerparkboy

Hope you don't mid if i put this up on ozeire.com .

Would be of worth to alot of people traveling to Nz

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Yeah no problem ozeire, must check out your website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

But you are entitled to if you are back within the 2 years yeah? Without PRSI payments and such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OP,do you have a link to back this up?

I was thinking about this the other day. Surely they cannot refuse you the dole if you genuinely can't find a job? Isn't it called the jobseekers allowance and if you have been looking for work and can prove it then you are entitled to it.

I can't imagine them saying you are entitled to nothing and letting you starve just because you left the country for two years. What if you had payed taxes for 10 years prior to that?

I don't think it's as straightforward as the op has said.

watna wrote: »
    OP,do you have a link to back this up?

I was thinking about this the other day. Surely they cannot refuse you the dole if you genuinely can't find a job? Isn't it called the jobseekers allowance and if you have been looking for work and can prove it then you are entitled to it.

I can't imagine them saying you are entitled to nothing and letting you starve just because you left the country for two years. What if you had payed taxes for 10 years prior to that?

I don't think it's as straightforward as the op has said.

I am having trouble getting my head around it too tbh. I mean how can immigrants get it yet an irish person heads off for 2 years cant.

There so much sh1t on the website that i can get through it.
    A linkwould be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

you wont get jobseekers benefit if you were out of the country for two years.
    the requirements are here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx
    It does state for PRSI contributions
    • At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work
    And
    • Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)
    However you could get jobseekers allowance which is means tested.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx

Also dont be in a rush for them according to the papers its taking anything up to six weeks to get either.
    I mean how can immigrants get it yet an irish person heads off for 2 years cant.

If they have paid prsi for 2 yrs or more then they are totally entitled to it. They have been contributing to the state.If they havent then its more than likely the allowance not benefit that they are receiving.

myhorse wrote: »
    you wont get jobseekers benefit if you were out of the country for two years.
    the requirements are here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx
    It does state for PRSI contributions
    • At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work
    And
    • Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)
    However you could get jobseekers allowance which is means tested.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx

I think this is an important thread and would like to see a solid conclusion come to as there is alot of confusion out there still:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59787324&postcount=104
    "if I loose my job and have to go home I'd be in a spot of bother considering I'm no longer eligible for the dole back home having not paid Irish taxes for the last three years"

This is encouraging for me and others over 25:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59730923&postcount=8
    "Once you reach 25 there is no means test"

I also hear that job seekers allowance and benefit are the same rate.

Is there anyone who can clarify as this is important to alot of people.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Anyone wanna clear this up??

Nobody?

Advertisement