Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 barrier free tolling & speed cameras ?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

It just dawned on me recently (watching everyone else speed by me of course!) that with the new barrier free tolls that obviously their are cameras that read the number plates... which would mean with very little extra they could be used for speed cameras.

comments ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

troll:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

we shall see ...(thread re-opened)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wasn't sure why it was closed myself, something I've wondered too but I suppose the cameras can't detect speed so it wouldn't be possible at the mo? Sure I even thought the cameras above traffic lights for traffic management were speed cameras before so seems a genuine question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

PMd peasant requesting it to be re-opened - i did check other threads so as not to troll.

Are you not able to work out the speed of something by a live feed ? known distances and time it takes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Good question and is possiblity in the future for point to point speed detection.

The technologh is called Average Speed Cameras and is an up and coming method of catching speeding motorists in the UK. Basically AN*R / RF*D on a gantry recognises and logs the average speed between two points set at along a motorway and automatically sends you a fine if you reach the target camera too fast. These cameras are nicknamed the "Yellow Vultures" in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7048645.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good question and is possiblity in the future.

The technologh is called Average Speed Cameras and is an up and coming method of catching speeding motorists in the UK. Basically ANPR / RFID on a gantry recognises and logs the average speed between two points set at along a motorway and automatically sends you a fine if you reach the target camera too fast. These cameras are nicknamed the "Yellow Vultures" in the UK.

SPECS systems can, and often do, have more than two points. Fun overtaking everyone through the one beyond Newry for the moment, won't be once they get a fine/points sharing system in place though...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Run_to_da_hills banned for mentioning ANPR. You promised! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Run_to_da_hills banned for mentioning ANPR. You promised! :D
    Sorted AN*R / RF*D :D

I managed to keep my trap shut about the We*tlink. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Good question and is possiblity in the future for point to point speed detection.

The technologh is called Average Speed Cameras and is an up and coming method of catching speeding motorists in the UK. Basically AN*R / RF*D on a gantry recognises and logs the average speed between two points set at along a motorway and automatically sends you a fine if you reach the target camera too fast. These cameras are nicknamed the "Yellow Vultures" in the UK.

Christ, don't get him started on this nonsense again.....

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Christ, don't get him started on this nonsense again.....
    MYOB backed me up on this one :pac:

You will know all about this nonsense when you will receive a summons for speeding and not knowing where It came from. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement