Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV "Internet"

Options
  • 21-11-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Paying for a 3mb line, top download speed is 220kb/s. At the minute, I'm downloading at 20kb/s tops, been like this for a few hours, and I have to pause the downloads each time I want to load a page on boards.

This is bloody ridiculous.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

On same package, I'm able to download Linux from a Swedish server at about 300KB/s which is about right.

Whats your line stats like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Ditto, 330KB normal on 3Mb package.

If your line stats have high noise and snr less than 10, drop them an email and they'll send out an eircom technician. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hate to sound like an idiot, but how do I check my line stats? Googling hasn't helped so far.

Hold on - just saw that it needs to be done through the router. I'll check when I'm home.

Downstream
    Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB)
    Line Attenuation(dB)
    CRC Errors

Does the max allowed speed mean my router/connection can't actually go above 2mb?

360474864.png

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Something's not right somewhere. You're on a 2Mbit package, though your S/N and Attenuation don't look that bad

Speedtest is not good at all.

• Advertisement

Your stats look ok. Are you using a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, try wired and go to speedtest again. It's far from perfect but it should be giving ~1750.

As for the 2MB, did you order bb before the upgrades or after? ie. were they still advertising 2MB on the utv website. In some cases they have not upgraded people to 3MB without taking out a new contract.

Onikage wrote: »
    Your stats look ok. Are you using a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, try wired and go to speedtest again. It's far from perfect but it should be giving ~1750.

As for the 2MB, did you order bb before the upgrades or after? ie. were they still advertising 2MB on the utv website. In some cases they have not upgraded people to 3MB without taking out a new contract.

Wired connection, I cant stand using wireless. I ordered the broadband years ago when it was 1mb, then I got upgraded for free to 2mb, and only had to ask for a service change when the price of the package dropped without my payments dropping. When I receive my bill it shows as the 3mb package.

The internet was going a little better last night - ie I could get around 80kb/s download at about 3am. I've sent them an email asking what the deelio is, but if this goes anything like the last email I sent them, I wont get a response at all.

TPD wrote: »
    Wired connection, I cant stand using wireless. I ordered the broadband years ago when it was 1mb, then I got upgraded for free to 2mb, and only had to ask for a service change when the price of the package dropped without my payments dropping. When I receive my bill it shows as the 3mb package.

The internet was going a little better last night - ie I could get around 80kb/s download at about 3am. I've sent them an email asking what the deelio is, but if this goes anything like the last email I sent them, I wont get a response at all.

Ok, well give them a chance on the email front and if you're still getting nowhere I'll pm you the number and name of a guy in utv who helped me out a few months ago.

On 2meg vs 3meg, you are not the only long-time subscriber who didn't get moved to 3meg. The bill/online statement says 3meg, but the modem says syncing at 2048kb. I'm not sure why it happened to some people and not others.

Onikage wrote: »
    Ok, well give them a chance on the email front and if you're still getting nowhere I'll pm you the number and name of a guy in utv who helped me out a few months ago.

On 2meg vs 3meg, you are not the only long-time subscriber who didn't get moved to 3meg. The bill/online statement says 3meg, but the modem says syncing at 2048kb. I'm not sure why it happened to some people and not others.

Cheers, I'll give it till Wednesday for them to reply, then I'll pm you.

Got a reply today, they've logged my complaint with eircom who will make a change to my broadband profile (?) which should take around 24h to complete. I'm to run a few speed tests tomorrow evening and reply if its no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Jumping in the bandwagon....can anybody explain to a newbie exactly what this test result indicates..... I'm also with uTv

362196670.png

and my router says the following...

• Data Rate:
    Stream Type
    Actual Data Rate
    Up Stream
    384 (Kbps.)
    Down Stream
    3072 (Kbps.)
    [Go Top]
    • Operation Data / Defect Indication:
    Operation Data ---Upstream
    Downstream
    Noise Margin
    16 dB
    11 dB
    Attenuation
    28 dB
    45 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
    HEC Error 138859 222
    CRC Error 50083 229

Thanks a million!

Dublin server:
    362211927.png

Galway server:
    362212341.png

Limerick server:
    362212763.png

Maidenhead server:
    362213273.png

Connection Speed
    DOWN 3072 kbps
    UP 384 kbps

Line Attenuation
    DOWN 38.0 db
    UP 16.0 db

Noise Margin
    DOWN 19.4 db
    UP 18.0 db

This indicates a connection that is slightly slow at the moment. Getting 220KB/s from ftp.heanet.ie. Normal enough at this time day.

My router now says my speed is 3074(I think), but the speedtest is still about the same. If it's not better by tonight theyre getting a phonecall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats something atleast that they changed the line profile without much hassel, curious have you been doing alot of downloading recently,

I notice that my line syncs at 3MB with good snr and I can generally max out my line but if I say download 8GB in one day the next day I'll be lucky to get 1MB download speeds. Goes back to normal after a few days

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thats something atleast that they changed the line profile without much hassel, curious have you been doing alot of downloading recently,

I notice that my line syncs at 3MB with good snr and I can generally max out my line but if I say download 8GB in one day the next day I'll be lucky to get 1MB download speeds. Goes back to normal after a few days

I've been downloading a fair bit, but that was about a week ago or more now. I've got the unlimited bandwidth addon too so it wouldnt be the cap coming into force.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've had a similar problem with UTV. I asked them to downgrade me from 7.6Mb to 3Mb since I wasn't connecting any faster than 3Mb anyway... they bumped me down to 2Mb instead. I rang them on Friday about it and the support guy saw what happened and said he'd get it fixed but that it could take eircom 5 working days to get the finger out and make the change :(

i.e. its still at 2Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jimmy.Joe

TPD wrote: »

Downstream
    Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB)
    Line Attenuation(dB)
    CRC Errors

Does the max allowed speed mean my router/connection can't actually go above 2mb?

360474864.png

I'm amazed your ping is so high too, have you done any diagnostics directly, from the router itself, to rule out you laptop / cabling to the dsl router (i know very simplistic but it could be the problem) also do you keep your virus cleaner etc up to date?

Jimmy.Joe wrote: »
    I'm amazed your ping is so high too, have you done any diagnostics directly, from the router itself, to rule out you laptop / cabling to the dsl router (i know very simplistic but it could be the problem) also do you keep your virus cleaner etc up to date?

I've done the diagnostics on the router a few days ago so that isnt the problem. The computer thats connected is a 1 year old desktop, but the wireless is just as slow so the wiring wouldnt be the issue. My AVG updates almost daily and I would scan it about once a week, and use spybot and adaware as well but less often.

The main thing is that it was working at 2mb speeds a week ago, and there has been no hardware change in the meantime, and Im almost certain that I've not downloaded anything unusually dodgy.

Seems to be back to normal now, but no other emails since tuesday. Yay!

False alarm, back to being crap. Grr... My emotions don't like to be toyed with...

Got an email today, first since Tuesday. Speeds are still crap, speedtest results getting worse if anything. They asked if I was testing on a wireless connection, and if my router was plugged into the master socket. They reckon there is nothing wrong with my net. Grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

I've had UTV for 4 years, lately the speeds have been crap from 7 until about 10 at night, sometimes a router reset fixes it, ie: iget a different address which isn't routing all over the shop, anyway i decided to run a trace to a server in Dublin that i can normally ping in 20 ms, i'm pinging 400 to it now!

Tracing route to 79.137.160.11 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 3 ms 1 ms <1 ms www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.10]
    2 405 ms 377 ms 375 ms 194.46.193.66
    3 378 ms 381 ms 381 ms 193.95.145.27
    4 375 ms 373 ms 371 ms vlan74.sw002.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.225]
    5 359 ms 354 ms 343 ms ge1-0.core001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.17]
    6 380 ms 364 ms 366 ms pos2-0.br001.ldn.esat.net [193.95.131.14]
    7 371 ms 365 ms 535 ms :eek:lnd-bgw0-ge0-1-0-102.rt-comm.ru [195.66.224.90]

8 445 ms 435 ms 450 ms 217.106.1.190
    9 427 ms 416 ms 422 ms 217.106.1.190
    10 451 ms 469 ms 468 ms :eek:rostelecom.c.rt-comm.ru [213.59.5.110]
    11 * * 459 ms 988.ge-1-0-0.br1.msk1.ip.di-net.ru :eek:[193.232.244
    88]
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 General failure.

why are these muppets routing to RUSSIA:eek: between kildare and dublin?

oh and service cancellation with utv takes a month! unless i can find a way around it..
    these guys have gone from a great service provider that i've recommended to all and sundry to a shower of idiots..

Advertisement