Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drinks question

• 21-11-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Does your thirst go away when you drink drinks other than water!!?

Personally I find that I'm only prolonging my bodies need for water, in its natural state and unflavoured or uncarbonated, when I drink coke, fanta or whatever. If I went a whole day without drinking at least 3 pints of water I'd get a headache and would feel thirsty. Same goes for tea, coffee, milk, juice and, obviously alcoholic drinks!

So, is water the only thing that gets rid of your thirst or can your thirst response be repressed with other liquids!!?

Can any drinks that arn't water in its natural form get rid of your thirst? 13 votes

Water, in its natural form, is the only thing that gets rid of my thirst
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, fizzy drinks can
    23% 3 votes
    Yes, tea can
    23% 3 votes
    Yes, coffee can
    15% 2 votes
    Yes, milk can
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, juice can
    15% 2 votes
    Yes, two or more of the above can get rid of my thirst
    23% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Cider.

Water also works well for me though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I bloody hate that feeling, nothing ever works for me! I used drink Sprite a lot over the summer when it happened, but I don't think it really worked. I was advised to drink milk but I can't stand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

nice cold beer always works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

juice, isotonic drinks.

nothing with caffeine tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

If I'm thirsty, I'll usually get a fizzy drink - I might be thirsty again soon enough after, but it's a short term solution. I guess the thing with fizzy drinks (and juices) is that they're very very refreshing but not necessarily thirst-quenching.

Best thing would be a nice cold glass of milk, but that would be rather awkward when you're walking around town.

Tea/Coffee aren't drank to suppress thirst, just for the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye certainly carbonated drinks have more effect on quenching thirst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

A nice cuppa is often the only thing that works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tea does the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

Anthing cold and delicious does the trick!

Advertisement