Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU-Mechanical engineering.

Options
  • 21-11-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all, I was at the DCU open day today and took an interest in their mechanical engineering course. The only problem is that I do not do honours maths just ordinary level and I need honours to apply. Does anyone know anyway around this or can I just simply not go to this college? Thanks for any help, Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

would the dcu page not be more applicable for this, but anyways, im i would ring up dcu and see what they say. explain the situation to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm pretty sure there's way around this, unless you take higher Maths for the LC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

There's a higher level maths requirement for a reason. Engineering is very maths heavy so if you're only doing ordinary level you will probably struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The only way is to go into an it, and work your way up to a degree level, itll take a year longer but youll have the same degree in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

timmywex wrote: »
    The only way is to go into an it, and work your way up to a degree level, itll take a year longer but youll have the same degree in the end

not correct.

yes there is a way.
    you can do the open opportunities programme, details here
    http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=FE&mode=full&originating_school=

• Advertisement

There probably are ways around it, but the requirement is there for a reason as Jello pointed out. If maths isn't your strong point, or you dislike it etc. maybe engineering isn't the right choice. But still, I wouldn't shy away from it for fear that it might be too hard.

Advertisement