Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Ripped off by meteor ! Help !

Options
  • 21-11-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello
    I have bought insurance through meteor .which turned out to be home care insurance ,which turned out to be fonesafe
    After a few months when my phone was robbed and i tried to make a claim they gave me a lot of trouble
    1)They never sent me out my t&c
    2) When I rang them they told me to fill in a form and fax it to them so i did
    3)Then I had to fill in about 20 different forms and fax it to them which cost me €1.50 each time (it was in the u.k)
    4)Then I had to pay €35 to get my new phone (they never told me that when buying the insurance)
    5)They charged my credit card and i had to send them a postal order
    6)They Said that they would send me back my postal order but i never received it and they said that there was noting that they could do about that
    7)I got my phone 3 months later
    8)When i got it it was broken (wouldn't charge)
    9)I spent over an hour on the phone (to a UK number from a mobile which cost me a lot)to get them to fix it
    10)Two weeks later when i got my susposedly fixed phone it still wasn't fixed
    11)It still isn't fixed
    12)The insurance company canceled my insurance policy because they made a mistake by selling me the insurance because I'm 15 but i told them that i was 15 when buying the insurance
    13)I still haven't gotten any refunds

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1. did you see any in the shop?
    2. standard procedure generally when making claims under phone insurance
    3. I don't believe this exageration
    4. it's called an excess, it would have been in the t&c that you signed or agreed to when you signed the form / took out insurance
    5. I'm confused, you're saying they charged you twice each month or twice times 35eur?
    6. you need to follow this up with the company again, getting more details on when it was sent, how, etc
    7. was there stock issues or did you have any other queries / problems that would have caused this delay?
    8. faulty phones happen.
    9. ...
    10. so repaired and still broken. fine.
    11. still? have you sent it back again? It won't fix itself sitting at home. Have you alternaitvely asked for a new one? Usually insurance claims give you a couple of days where you get a new swap out .. much like if you just bought it new
    12. this is a legal issue, they probably have no choice
    13. what have you done to get them?

If you're 15 I would suggest you have a parent or guardian contact these people for you. No offence but you may be coming across as a young kid on the phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

call them and ask for a refund. they can't cancel your policy because of their mistake and then keep the money they never should have taken

explain that to an agent and if you get nowhere ask to speak to a team leader. if that gets you nowhere, send them a registered letter of complaint

if that gets you nowhere, contact the regulator, which in this case i think would be the financial regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    call them and ask for a refund. they can't cancel your policy because of their mistake and then keep the money they never should have taken

explain that to an agent and if you get nowhere ask to speak to a team leader. if that gets you nowhere, send them a registered letter of complaint

if that gets you nowhere, contact the regulator, which in this case i think would be the financial regulator
    The insurance isn't with Meteor though. The T&C would have (probably, if it's like others) said that the contract is with xyz (in this case he mentioned fonesafe??) so he would need to contact him.

Again though, given that he's 15 I would really suggest he get a parent / guardian. Kids aren't taken seriously be this right or wrong (sorry, but you're just a kid!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor would not charge you. Meteor do not deal with insurance. They wil facilitate you by getting you forms, sending you out a claim pack and blocking the IMEI for the insurance company, in this case, Homecare. Homecare would have charged you the 35e, not Meteor.

In reponse to some of your points too.

9) There's a freefone Irish number for this. Check the site

To be honest, your issue isn't with Meteor, it's with Homecare. It's like me buying a pack of Heinz Beans from Dunnes and giving out to Dunnes that the beans didn't taste like they do normally. Dunnes have no control over that. Yes, I realise this isn't the best comparison, but I've a 3 week old son so I'm not firing on all cylinders!

Random wrote: »
    The insurance isn't with Meteor though. The T&C would have (probably, if it's like others) said that the contract is with xyz (in this case he mentioned fonesafe??) so he would need to contact him.

I didn't say call meteor, i said call them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Where does a 15 yr old get a credit card?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And wtf does a 15 year old need insurance on a phone for?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

15 year old only needs a pay as you go phone, doesn't need insurance for one and if he does then he/she is wasting far too much money on expensive phones and can't legally hold a credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

Used My credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

sales person in store gets commission to sell insurance, shouldnt have sold to you and knew it, small claims court IMO

• Advertisement

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    Used My credit card
    How, at 15 years old, do you have a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Cabaal wrote: »
    15 year old only needs a pay as you go phone, doesn't need insurance for one and if he does then he/she is wasting far too much money on expensive phones and can't legally hold a credit card

It's his/her choice if that's what he wants to spend money on surely? No different from some teenager buying an expensive games console or iPod.

As for insurance, the phone was stolen which is apparently covered by the insurance. If the phone had been stolen and (s)he hadn't got theft cover, they'd be kicking themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

wyndham wrote: »
    Where does a 15 yr old get a credit card?

Probably the same place that he gets a car.

OP are you using someone else's account? From some of your other posts there's no way you can be 15.

a 15 year old who has a credit card, a car and a broadband account shouldn't be bothered about a few euro lost on insurance imo

It's the 3 kids I'm puzzled about tbh. :confused:

javaboy wrote: »
    OP are you using someone else's account? From some of your other posts there's no way you can be 15.
    Yea I'm using my uncles account

javaboy wrote: »
    It's the 3 kids I'm puzzled about tbh. :confused:
    None of the other treads are me ,I'm using my uncles account

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Yea I'm using my uncles account

May I recommend that you stop teaching your uncle your internet mannerisms of spelling, use of smilies etc.?

Anyway, getting back to the point, ask a parent/guardian to discuss the matter with the insurance company, as a 15 year old should not have been granted insurance without the signature of a guardian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

There are a few too many holes in this for me to believe that it is a true problem / complaint.

Is this just a bit of Meteor bashing??

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    There are a few too many holes in this for me to believe that it is a true problem / complaint.

Is this just a bit of Meteor bashing??
    :D Not realy complaining about meteor just cpp(cpp.co.uk)

Can the irish finincial omnibusman help me or do i need someone english to help:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Why did you sign up for something if you didn't read the t&c's first? :confused::confused:

Why did you sign up for something if you didn't read the t&c's first? :confused::confused:
    Because they didnt show me any
    and they said that i would get them by post
    :confused::eek::cool::P:(:mad::o:p:):rolleyes:;):D:pac:

Can the irish finincial omnibusman help me or do i need someone english to help:eek:
    You need your parents to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

these english insurance companies.....:mad:
    dont waist your time on irish financial ombudsman my personal experience if insurance company is english then its english ombudsman. but first you need parents help.

wasim21k wrote: »
    these english insurance companies.....:mad:
    dont waist your time on irish financial ombudsman my personal experience if insurance company is english then its english ombudsman. but first you need parents help.
    im not doing anything myself my parents are doing it all
    there just asking me to ask
    :pac::confused::eek::o:p:cool::mad::):D;):rolleyes::(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Go to your Citizens Information office- they will sort it out! or at least give you the info to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Edit: @forestfrouts - thought this was a different thread, rendering my reply stupid. Damn you firefox! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Well that would sort it out then!;)

Advertisement