Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Ripped off by meteor ! Help !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    10)Two weeks later when i got my susposedly fixed phone it still wasn't fixed
    I can't help you on the insurance situation because I don't have any experience in that regard.

However, if they've fixed a phone for you, and it still has the exact same problem, then you're legally entitled to a replacement or a refund. This happened to me a few months ago. I spoke to 5 separate people in Meteor, each more senior than the last, each of whom tried to fob me off with their policy of only offering repairs, not replacements or refunds, until the same fault has occurred 3 times. I eventually lost patience, took small claims proceedings, and won - I got my full refund this week. I'll never touch Meteor again.

You or your parents should talk to the National Consumer Agency to find out exactly where you stand on this issue; I found them very helpful. The website is http://www.consumerconnect.ie/. They give a lot of 'sample scenarios' and what a consumer in each situation would be entitled to; if you don't find one that matches your case you can ring them and talk to them.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Breezer wrote: »
    I'll never touch Meteor again.

you'll have to stay on o2 so and only deal with o2 stores (not third party retailers) because every other phone shop i've come across follows the same policy, crap as it is

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you'll have to stay on o2 so and only deal with o2 stores (not third party retailers) because every other phone shop i've come across follows the same policy, crap as it is

I fully intend to, it's the only decent phone company in Ireland in my experience. But if it comes to it and I do choose another operator, and the same thing happens, I've no problem taking the same course of action again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

but this is a policy and not law and afaik this policy will be ignored by the small claims court who will deal reasonably with the issues.(the local cpw has been in the small claims court several times and mostly loses due to their policy of three repairs then replacement) op you should get a parent to assist you in getting a replacement or refund through the small claims court if necessary.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    but this is a policy and not law and afaik this policy will be ignored by the small claims court who will deal reasonably with the issues.
    Precisely. It'd be nice if measures could be brought in to penalise businesses that do this on a regular basis though, rather than each individual consumer having to bring a legitimate complaint to the small claims court, which, despite what is said, can take several months.

• Advertisement

but this is a policy and not law and afaik this policy will be ignored by the small claims court who will deal reasonably with the issues.(the local cpw has been in the small claims court several times and mostly loses due to their policy of three repairs then replacement) op you should get a parent to assist you in getting a replacement or refund through the small claims court if necessary.

and i'd say each time they were in court was against your good self :P

i know the policy isn't exactly customer friendly, i was just pointing out that boycotting meteor was pointless because pretty much every other shop in the country follows the same policy

i do wonder though why all these shops are allowed to keep this policy if they've been brought to court for it and lost. or is it just that there's no enforcement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

and i'd say each time they were in court was against your good self
    was that some kind of personal jibe directed at me?
    i know the policy isn't exactly customer friendly, i was just pointing out that boycotting meteor was pointless because pretty much every other shop in the country follows the same policy
    the cases were brought against the store not any particular network
    i do wonder though why all these shops are allowed to keep this policy if they've been brought to court for it and lost. or is it just that there's no enforcement?
    the stores can have their policies but it can be challenged by the customer as the sale of goods act allows for what is reasonable, and obviously the stores make an economic decision to keep this policy even if a few people go to court they will still make money out of the people that just throw faulty phones away rather than deal with store staff arguing over their consumer rights!

as far as i read in the local papers the cases could easily have been avoided had the store staff been reasonable!

basically if you are told you must have a faulty phone repaired three times before you can get it replaced three times before you can get a refund you do not have to accept this as it is only the stores policy not law or as many would say not reasonable!

was that some kind of personal jibe directed at me?
    no it was a joke. Note the smiley at the end
    the cases were brought against the store not any particular network
    I know that, i was referring to the original reason i made my post when the poster said he'd never touch meteor again. I was pointing out that meteor are not the only people that do it

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    no it was a joke. Note the smiley at the end

I know that, i was referring to the original reason i made my post when the poster said he'd never touch meteor again. I was pointing out that meteor are not the only people that do it
    True, but as I said I'll give my business to the one company that doesn't have an illegal policy. Problem solved as far as I'm concerned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayhartjnr

meteor are a brutal moneygrabbing company who will do anything to resist paying out on anything, i would advise everyone to stay away, they're only interested it the bottom line and dont give a toss about customers.
    and the signal is awful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement