Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pitch Invader gets 6 months behind bars

• 21-11-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

_45228806_-17.jpg
    Pitch invader sentenced

A teenage pitch invader who disrupted play during Celtic's Champions League match against Manchester United has been locked up for six months.

John Murphy, 18, was also banned from attending national or international football matches for five years, one of the longest such banning orders imposed in Scotland.

Play was temporarily stopped during the first half when Murphy went on to the pitch during the clash at Celtic Park on November 5.

I was angry at this guy because he caused Celtic to get punished by UEFA but jesus that is harsh.

We were nearly getting a streaker at Lansdowne for every game and all that would happen them is they don't get to see the rest of the game. Oul' George Hamilton was getting very fed up. A group of us were close to persuading a mate to do it years ago but he bottled it come match day. I remember hearing about this guy that used to streak at many different sporting events. He got charged and maybe locked up after a dozen or so after doing it at some high profile American event but that was just after 9/11 and they were cracking down on terrorism.

Last season a Celtic supporter got 3 weeks community service for a pitch invasion but he also gave Dida a small slap on the cheek. I worked with the guy who ran onto the Ibrox pitch with Pope T-Shirt, Palestinian flag and tried to handcuff himself to the goalposts. He got community service too. He's a bloody hilarious genius btw. :)

But to actually lock someone up after running on the pitch. A drunk 18 year old probably being dared by his mates. That's madness.

Fair enough if it was common knowledge. The chance of going behind bars for running onto a pitch would put anyone off. This guy clearly didn't know he faced 6 months in jail. Just like most people I'm guessing.

I don't care if he's a thug or whatever, he's no different to the hundreds of pitch invaders who got off scot free. Is there no way the Police could spread the word about this crackdown without making an example of one guy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's just fúcking stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

agreed. f**kin retarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd imagine he had previous. If he didn'y tis harsh alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He was out on bail at the time

Another arsehole off the streets though :)

Another arsehole off the streets though :)

I thought he might have previous. Not a bit of sympathy for him tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Serves the idiot right imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Me heart bleeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ah well then that makes this thread void. :) I believe he's a mechanical engineering student. Didn't think they'd have people like that in colleges. :D

I wonder what happened the guy who ended up in pile up with players celebrating a goal a couple of weeks ago. Spurs I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I worked with the guy who ran onto the Ibrox pitch with Pope T-Shirt, Palestinian flag and tried to handcuff himself to the goalposts. He got community service too. He's a bloody hilarious genius btw. :)

Sums up the mentality of some Celtic fans.... A hilarious genius? Whats that? A funny version of Einstein??

Btw, Im delighted for the idiot getting 6 months....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Looks like he'll be the one getting invaded for the next 6(3) months.

Don't feel a bit sorry for him either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

eirebhoy wrote: »
    [IMG]I worked with the guy who ran onto the Ibrox pitch with Pope T-Shirt, Palestinian flag and tried to handcuff himself to the goalposts. He got community service too. He's a bloody hilarious genius btw. :)[/img]

Sounds like a retard.

Would it have been an equal act of 'genius' if a Rangers fan had ran across the Parkhead pitch with a Lambeg drum and Fuck The Pope t-shirt?

Brewster wrote: »
    Sums up the mentality of some Celtic fans.... A hilarious genius? Whats that? A funny version of Einstein??
    I'll send you a few e-mails he sent around the job for you to make up your own mind. Most of us had to go rooting for the definition of a lot of the words he used. He was incredibly funny too. I can't remember so many people in the offices I work turning up for a leaving party as there was his (and it wasn't because they were delighted he was gone ;)).

stovelid wrote: »
    Sounds like a retard.

Would it have been an equal act of 'genius' if a Rangers fan had ran across the Parkhead pitch with a Lambeg drum and **** The Pope t-shirt?
    I hardly work in a job full of Celtic fans. Most of us thought he was hilarious. Most of us thought he was ridiculously clever.

We only found out about his Ibrox shenanigans after a few drinks well after he started in the job. The youtube video flew around the office and as you could probably guess, we all thought it was hilarious. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I hardly work in a job full of Celtic fans. Most of us thought he was hilarious. Most of us thought he was ridiculously clever.

We only found out about his Ibrox shenanigans after a few drinks well after he started in the job. The youtube video flew around the office and as you could probably guess, we all thought it was hilarious. ;)

Oh yeah, so clever... Lets go onto the pitch at Ibrox with a tshirt of the pope..... How original! So clever...

Mods, lock this thread. Its bordering on the ridiculous..

Brewster you haven't got a clue about the guy. You're just incredibly anti-Celtic. Your latest criticism of Boruc smoking a cigar says it all.

I work in a company with a plenty of intelligent people who can recognise other intelligent people. This guy was very intelligent. I know it's hard to believe but there are some intelligent Celtic fans.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with Celtic or Rangers. If he was a Rangers fan running onto the Ibrox pitch to protest against Israel we'd all still have had a great laugh about it.

I'm in a great mood tonight so I'd rather continue answer to the stick I'm getting in this thread so keep it open. ;)

You can't seriously be defending pitch invaders?

idiots, the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Brewster wrote: »

Mods, lock this thread. Its bordering on the ridiculous..

WTF are you on about?

btw, I mentioned the Ibrox invader because he only got community service. I was comparing this with the 6 month sentence that this other guy got. I've now found out that the other guy was out on bail and had previous convictions and deserved his 6 months.

Des wrote: »
    You can't seriously be defending pitch invaders?

idiots, the lot of them.
    I find them boring, if not frustrating these days, but certainly not deserving of a prison sentence. I was just shocked that this guy was locked up. The article never mentioned he was a scumbag who seems to do scumbag things week in week out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That prick has cost the club £50k, but more importantly his shenanigans means the club will be being watched closely by UEFA, and any further similar incidents could mean you, me and every other Celtic fan is affected.

F**k him. Maybe it'll make others stand up and take notice that running onto pitches during games is not acceptable, regardless of how funny it may appear at the time.

• Advertisement

Only a person of the same mentality as the offender could ever find the actions amusing, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Why do they always have to be males? :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The prize winning thug who went on to taunt Enckleman at St Andrews only got 4 months:eek:

No sympathy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

people on here must never have laughed at a streaker on the field so???am i right? every pitch invader is an idiot? yes i agree, but sometimes its funny, a cheap laugh allrite,watching security guards slip and fall chasing the runner!
    yea i agree, pitch invaders are idiots, but infairness 6months jail for that IS a bit harsh...ive heard of people kicking the sh1t out of people and getting a slap on the wrist. the lad didnt hurt anyone, and i know he shouldnt have done it. im not defending him, but 6months??? bit much imo.
    if its true that he was out on bail at the time, he should have had more cop on.

IF a rangers fan had done the same at Ibrox, would he/she have received the same punishment I wonder?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rarnes1 wrote: »
    IF a rangers fan had done the same at Ibrox, would he/she have received the same punishment I wonder?;)

Why wouldn't they?

Quit shit stirring.

I can't stop at the guy "thanking" Des' posts. :D It reminds me of one of those people that worship anything Dunphy says no matter how small. :)

Thanks from: stepbar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

people on here must never have laughed at a streaker on the field so???am i right? every pitch invader is an idiot? yes i agree, but sometimes its funny, a cheap laugh allrite,watching security guards slip and fall chasing the runner!
    yea i agree, pitch invaders are idiots, but infairness 6months jail for that IS a bit harsh...ive heard of people kicking the sh1t out of people and getting a slap on the wrist. the lad didnt hurt anyone, and i know he shouldnt have done it. im not defending him, but 6months??? bit much imo.
    if its true that he was out on bail at the time, he should have had more cop on.

I'm sure if he had no previous he would not have got any jail time, but being out on bail and doing it I'm afraid the lad needs a kick in the arsé.

At the end of the day, he essentially cost a company 50 grand, so 6 months probably out in 2, is fair enough.

Now if he had done this against United and was a hot blonde, this thread would have a far different tone. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMfyasZrTHg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

rarnes1 wrote: »

Really silly comment.

I believe the guy was also arrested at the Rangers v Liverpool game pre-season for breach of the piece Why he was there I dont have a clue:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I can't stop at the guy "thanking" Des' posts.
    When you're right, you're right :)

In anyway, I'm not the only one he's thanking.
    It reminds me of one of those people that worship anything Dunphy says no matter how small. :)
    Oh, I'm being compared to Dunphy now.

Reported for personal abuse :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I can't stop at the guy "thanking" Des' posts. :D It reminds me of one of those people that worship anything Dunphy says no matter how small. :)

Thanks from: stepbar

Is there a problem sir? Is it because you support Celtic?

Advertisement