Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillary Clinton is Obama's Secretary of State?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

In a move that was rumoured a couple of weeks ago. . .

New York senator Hillary Clinton has accepted an offer from president-elect Barack Obama to become US secretary of state, the New York Times said today, quoting two Clinton associates.

"She's ready," one of the sources told the newspaper, which said Ms Clinton came to her decision after additional discussions with Obama about the nature of her role as the top US diplomat and his plans for foreign policy.

Democratic Party sources have said Clinton was on track to be nominated, with an official announcement expected after the November 27th Thanksgiving holiday.

Reuters

Could be a move that theoretically puts the DP in very good shape for starting things on 20th January.

Other rumours include a place for Colin Powell in the cabinet, which would be something of a media 'Dream Team' if it comes to fruition.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Not a bad move by Obama if true. Kissinger has already come out and said that she would be a great choice for Secretary of State as she is known and respected around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Bad news for the Arabs :D

-Sorry, we can't meet with a black dude. The religion thing, you know... Who else you got?

-Oh.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

banquo wrote: »
    -Sorry, we can't meet with a black dude. The religion thing, you know...
    It would be funny, apart from the fact that Islam is the only major religion to explicitly condemn racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It would be funny, apart from the fact that Islam is the only major religion to explicitly condemn racism.

...and endorses and condemns many other "isms".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

change we can believe in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mordeth wrote: »

Change we can Xerox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

banquo wrote: »
    Bad news for the Arabs :D

-Sorry, we can't meet with a black dude. The religion thing, you know... Who else you got?

-Oh.

:D

Heh Heh never thought of it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Mordeth wrote: »

Very disappointing appointment for me.

It all has a feeling of doing whats best for the party rather than doing whats best for the country. Does Barack really believe Clinton is the best person for the position? Personally I dont think so and it just feels to me as if this is, as many have mentioned, an attempt to prevent a rift within the party.

She comes across at times as fervently anti-arab and I think that could be a ticking time bomb in such a crucial time when all Obama needs, imo, is to be surrounded by a few calm heads with a reasoned outlook on the middle east.

Barack Obama's first mistake imo. I think this one will come back to bite him in the arse tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This post has been deleted.
    Was he speaking ex cathedra on any of those occasions?

Don't bother answering, this is off-topic, as was the "joke" I made the mistake of responding to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement