Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Lewis Butchering Snow Patrol's "Run"

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Not a big fan of Snow Patrol although I did really like "Final Straw". I thought "Run" was a great song.

However, I see Leona Lewis has released a butchered version. I think it's terrible and Lightbody brought a lot more depth and feeling to the song.

Just wondering if I'm being harsh on her or if what anybody elses thoughts are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I didnt like it when Snow Patrol sang it. Its even worse with the Mariah Carey-like warbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be frank and honest, I think her cover is pretty damn decent.. well, as far as "mongoloid warbling R'n'B reality-TV singers" go.

It's certainly different.. and I respect the cover for being just that.

I would never buy it, or listen to it but I wouldn't be too quick in criticizing it either. We're heard a helluva lot worse covers lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The song wasn't great to begin with to be honest, i thought it was one of the weaker songs on Final Straw, commercial overexposure was the final nail in the coffin for that tune.

It does annoy me though that people are covering songs that are just barely past their "play by" date now though.

Leona Lewis just annoys me, period!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

thought leona's cover was quite good. don't really like the song anyway though

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,315 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just listened to it. I expect the bleeding from my ears to stop anyday now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its ****ing awful like all of her songs. That other new one she has is so irritating its unbelievable. Somebody please put this horse back in the stable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭CountryGirl1

I think she does a great version of it!
    She really makes it her own :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

havnt heard it, dont want to by the sounds of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Oh fudge ...Just heard it...

TERRIBLE.

I think she does a great version of it!
    She really makes it her own :cool:

Yes she really makes it her own, and an absolute mess at that. She has another song out at the moment that is possibly even a bigger pile of ****e than this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

'Making a bad song worse, cheers Simon Cowell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I cant even make out what she singing - its a terrible version

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've only heard snippits of this in the office and I have to say, I find it to be an excellent version.

There is only so much you can do with something that is already a load of pretentious ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

ah this is a lil harsh on leona, she does a great version of the song, but its jus not as good as snow patrol's FACT!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

there's a lot of leona negativity here!

there's a lot of leona negativity here!

That's because she's ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ah this is a lil harsh on leona, she does a great version of the song, but its jus not as good as snow patrol's FACT!!!!!!

I would've thought harsh would be telling her that she could make a living in the music industry but apparently people love crap.

I suppose as long as the karaoke disaster that is X-Factor exists, we'll never be rid of old horseface and the likes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

You either love it or hate it...I love it. Never really liked Snow Patrol all that much, I will acknowledge they have some good songs but I'd never buy an album...leona's version I thought was really great. Thumbs up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nothing aginst the artist but it's a sh*te cover; her voice doesn't suit it and I found it painful to listen to...
    No huge fan of SP either but this was their tune and it suited their style and the lead singer's voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

almost afraid to admit liking it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

1966 wrote: »
    almost afraid to admit liking it !!
    :eek:

Love the snow patrol original; think leona has an amazing voice, HATE this cover version. "warbling" is a good description

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

+1 for the title of this thread. i will tolerate most of the ****e on the radio, but I actually switch stations when I hear this version of a great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its ****ing awful like all of her songs. That other new one she has is so irritating its unbelievable. Somebody please put this horse back in the stable...

+1

I hate leona's version, she ruined a fairly ok song!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Leona Lewis has knocked Take That off the top of the UK singles chart.

Her version of Snow Patrol's 'Run', which became available to download seven days ago, debuts at number one this week.

It becomes her third chart-topper - following her X Factor winner's song 'A Moment Like This' in 2006 and 'Bleeding Love' last year.

Love it or hate it - its No. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

JP Liz wrote: »
    Love it or hate it - its No. 1

Crappy cover versions usually make it to #1 in the UK charts at christmas time, Gary Jules - Mad World anyone?

Hey wait, isn't it Christmas in 3 weeks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Ugh, more retarded SP fanboys

I'm sorry, but her version is clearly 10 times better than the original

Its a very emotional song, that Gary couldnt portray as well as Leona

so there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Oh God its Horrible!!

Make it stop, make it stop!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It a very smart recording of what was a best a reasonable song by an overly indulged band.
    Go Leona! I wouldn't eat the yellow snow in a fit.
    Good xmas No.1.

Advertisement