Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Lewis Butchering Snow Patrol's "Run"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

jesus I heard this today , that original was ok but this is total ****e tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Rarely are covers better than the originals anyways, though there are a few exceptions (such as Jeff Buckleys "Halleluiaj" (sorry...cant spell!)

Not my cup of tea personally, though it could of been a whole lot worse.

Could of gone the way of the oul genre-switchin-cover such as New Found Glorys cover of "Kiss me". Utter sonic-diarrhoea IMO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

I think she does a great version of it!
    She really makes it her own :cool:

I'm neither a Snow Patrol or a Leona fan but I couldn't agree more.

I can never understand why some people seem to totally reject covers of Indie, Alternative or Rock music. :rolleyes:
    Sometimes there IS room for improvement as is evident in the case of Leona's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Didn't Leanne Moore sing this one quite a bit of Your-A-Star

Maybe that's where they got the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Its a fantastic song to start with, suppose snow patrol will get loyalties from it. Not a fan of Leona anyway, its just warbling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

that woma ruins any song she sings imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Zaph wrote: »
    Just listened to it. I expect the bleeding from my ears to stop anyday now.
    but they just keep, keep bleeding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rodent Queen

Zaph wrote: »
    Just listened to it. I expect the bleeding from my ears to stop anyday now.

ha ha ha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Don't get me started...please

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

unreggd wrote: »
    Ugh, more retarded SP fanboys

Lol so anyone who criticises the song is a Snow Patrol fanboy? :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, but her version is clearly 10 times better than the original

Its a very emotional song, that Gary couldnt portray as well as Leona

so there

You're talking a load of shite.
    HPT wrote: »
    I can never understand why some people seem to totally reject covers of Indie, Alternative or Rock music. :rolleyes:

Because butchering a song is not a good thing.

A singer is in a certain mindset when they write a song and for some pop 'star' clown to come along and think they can do it justice is just wrong. All the initial feeling Lightbody had when penning the lyrics cannot be recipricated by Lewis, no matter how much the Pop Stars posse want her to.

That version is class A murder. It actually reminds me of Father Dick Byrne's Eurovision entry with overblown vocals, soaring strings and an unecessary choir in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It actually reminds me of Father Dick Byrne's Eurovision entry with overblown vocals, soaring strings and an unecessary choir in the background.
    LOL - so true! :D

However I really can't see how she's "butchered" it. Great voice, song totally suited to the power ballad treatment, very good musical arrangement (if overblown :D)... actually quite good for what it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

meh, big snow patrol fan but never been a fan of leona lewis tbh, till i hard her cover on the latest bbc live lounge album (volume 3 afaik) and took quite a shine to it. that was probably a couple of months ago now, before it was ever played on the radio or on tv. thought she did a grand job, very toni braxton.

BUT, if you don't like that sort of music anyway, are a fan of the original and are allergic to the reality tv poison that is x factor et al then i guess you're never going to like something like that whoever sings it.

mind you, i know where everyone is coming from, I was planning on putting a hit out on paddy casey when i heard he did a cover of john lennon's imagine. some things should just never be touched. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

to say i didnt like the original SP version would be putting it mildly but this version is just utter crap.:mad:

yes she made it her own,well done to everyone who pointed out that a woman can sound totally different to a man acrooss a vocal range, i would have thought that to be rather easy.

If i was SP id be quite pissed off, but i supose they themselves are the one to blame, they would have to have given Leona permission to use this song so well done to both for annoying me coming up to X-mas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sangre wrote: »
    but they just keep, keep bleeding...

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

vibe666 wrote: »
    meh, big snow patrol fan but never been a fan of leona lewis tbh, till i hard her cover on the latest bbc live lounge album (volume 3 afaik) and took quite a shine to it. that was probably a couple of months ago now, before it was ever played on the radio or on tv.
    It wasn't on the last live lounge CD. The version you downloaded was the version where the guy took "the liberty of adding Leona Lewis' performance of Snow Patrol's 'Run' as [he thought] it is an absolute travesty that the track wasn't included on the CD." Presumably recorded from the radio. Shhhhh

Ah, maybe I'm assuming but it definitely wasn't on it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Heard it for the first time when I was out yesterday, couldn't agree more (with the OP) terrible terrible mutilation of the song. At first I thought it was a busker outside trying to mangle it untill I looked up at the big screen and realised it was coming from the speakers. Atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

And it's everywhere now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Its not very good at all, but its much better than the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

She is a talented singer and she's beautiful. Personally, I'm not a fan of her music but I heard this version a few months ago and thought it was fine. Some people just try so hard to be cool and have cool taste in music, which includes slagging off the "uncool" music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

She is a talented singer and she's beautiful. Personally, I'm not a fan of her music but I heard this version a few months ago and thought it was fine. Some people just try so hard to be cool and have cool taste in music, which includes slagging off the "uncool" music.

This may be true but sometimes people attribute this generalisation to people who actually think the song is awful and that she should die in a traffic accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lets face it folks. This is the only time that a Snow Patrol related song is no.1 .The new album is horribly bland. They should be thankful to Leona.
    I'm not a Leona or X factor fan Btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lovie

i am a big sp fan and when i first heard leona lewis's version i thought this is an absalute pile of ****e, but now ive heard it a few times more i have to say its starting to grow on me! the more i hear it the more i kinda sorta (as much as it pains me to say it) like it..... will never be as good as the original but its not the worst cover ive ever heard either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Music snobbery is still going strong I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Im ashamed to say i like it. She is a great singer although i wouldn't buy her CD. Not my kinda music but you have to say she is talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

lovie wrote: »
    i am a big sp fan and when i first heard leona lewis's version i thought this is an absalute pile of ****e, but now ive heard it a few times more i have to say its starting to grow on me! the more i hear it the more i kinda sorta (as much as it pains me to say it) like it..... will never be as good as the original but its not the worst cover ive ever heard either!

I dunno, once Irish radio stations catch hold of a song they play it to death until your ear starts to think it´s good, I reckon they could get a cat screaming to number one if they wanted, saying that I don´t like cover versions anyway unless there is something really different about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Music snobbery is still going strong I see.

If people think that a song is a pile of dog muck that´s their opinion, don´t think it is snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Wacko wrote: »
    If people think that a song is a pile of dog muck that´s their opinion, don´t think it is snobbery.
    Yep. Dead on. It's just muck and its nothong to do with snobbery.

Out of interest, would SP have to give permission for the mutilation?
    I assume they also make reasonable money from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,564 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bleeding terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lets face it folks. This is the only time that a Snow Patrol related song is no.1 .The new album is horribly bland. They should be thankful to Leona.
    I'm not a Leona or X factor fan Btw

[whisper] Except for 'Chasing Cars' which made it to number 1 in a fair few countries, and 'Shut Your Eyes' which was number 1 in Belgium, and two nuumber 1 albums..... [/whisper]

But yeah, you go girl

Advertisement