Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Lewis Butchering Snow Patrol's "Run"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I assume they also make reasonable money from it?
    Oh yes, ching ching for the entire band as credited songwriters. It's apparently the fastest selling download-only single ever.

Gary Lightbody has said nice things about it. I'm sure his wallet also likes it.

Mind you, I remember Bono saying shockingly nice things about The Chimes when they released "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and who remembers them at all?
    I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    [whisper] Except for 'Chasing Cars' which made it to number 1 in a fair few countries[/whisper]
    If by "a fair few countries" you mean Ireland and Singapore:) (the US "Hot Adult Top 40 and Oz digital only charts surely don't count as real charts). "Shut Your Eyes" indeed made it to the top of the always hotly-contested Flanders half of the Belgian charts (number 6 in the French half, Belgium has two geographically separate charts).

Either way, ching ching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

livvy wrote: »
    Im ashamed to say i like it. She is a great singer although i wouldn't buy her CD. Not my kinda music but you have to say she is talented.

Yeah, to win a talent contest after playing singstar on her PS2 for about 4 years beforehand.

That takes talent! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Yeah, to win a talent contest after playing singstar on her PS2 for about 4 years beforehand.

That takes talent! :rolleyes:

"Singstar" ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Bloody hell! Was listening to the radio this morning and heard the same kind of destruction of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah :eek:. I dont watch X-Factor but apparently this one won it with her cover of the song!

What the hell is the big thing with all this warbling????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Bloody hell! Was listening to the radio this morning and heard the same kind of destruction of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah :eek:. I dont watch X-Factor but apparently this one won it with her cover of the song!

You can blame Mariah Carey for all this wailing - its the female equivalent sound of a man being kicked in the balls without any let up. You can hear the breath catching in them, whining noises coming as well but you can't understand half of what they are saying because they're almost crying it. I think that sums up the likes of Leona Lewis and the butcherer of Halleljuah perfectly?

Speaking of crying, how is that one who won the X-Factor supposed to do concerts? She seems unable to stop herself degenerating into a ball of tears anytime someone even claps for her...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup, aurally assaulted by this muck about 4 or 5 times today on various stations...I wouldn't be a huge fan of the original but it's a good song nonetheless...and then they let these hacks make a mockery of it...no doubt we'll be suffering this for xmas no1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, now there's a man who's never heard Sheryl Crow sing it and thinks it can't get any worse:D

All the wimmins don't sing it like Imogen Heap does, you know.

DarkJager wrote: »
    You can blame Mariah Carey for all this wailing

No you can not! Whitney Houston was wailing long before Mariah was on the scene!
    Ever hear the aural abortion that is "Greatest Love Of All"? That was recorded about six to seven years before Carey made her debut!

You can blame Mariah Carey on a lot of things, but originator of sh*tty warbly waily vocals isn't one of them.

"Singstar" ????

Yep, you read that right, i don't stammer or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Ugh just listened to her version. Made it half way through the first chorus before I had to turn it off.

Its ****in painful! Destroys the original which is a good song, though admittedly severely overplayed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I agree. It is ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I've only heard snippits of this in the office and I have to say, I find it to be an excellent version.

There is only so much you can do with something that is already a load of pretentious ****.

Snow Patrol are pseudo indie MOR wa nk. At least Leona has integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

both the original and cover are brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Integrity? Are you having a laugh? She does what she is told to do by the shadowy money men behind the scenes. She's Simon Cowells bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Herbie Flowers has called it right.
    but at least nobody thinks that they are a music expert because the like Leona.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Not to mention that Snow Patrol's label are anything but independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Yep, you read that right, i don't stammer or anything.

Still don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I bet now this will make it "cool" for Leona version to be liked,

Lead singer of SP talks to The Sun

"She obviously studied the song and thought long and hard about how to interpret it," said Gary.

"She's stripped it to its bare core. I think she sounds absolutely phenomenal.

"I'm not a big fan of shows like The X-Factor, but when talent like this comes along, I can't slate it.

"She's going to be around in 20 years. She's the next Whitney. She takes my breath away."

Awww did that break all the fanboy's hearts, boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Still don't know what it is.

Oh sorry.
    It's a Playstation 2 game thats basically glorified karaoke although it is fun to play. Another developer have done another game like it for 360 called Lips, you've probably seen the ads for it. :)

Bwahahah! I laughed.
    Leona Lewis is a joke, and a long running one at that. Like most of the winners on those crappy UK talent shows. What happened to that heifer, Michelle that won pop idol a few years back?

She's being spoofed by Peter Kay as "Geraldine McQueen" lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Resi12 wrote: »
    I bet now this will make it "cool" for Leona version to be liked

If you need someone to tell you how to think then that is fine. I still think it is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

All of Leona's songs are exactly the same junket.

Slow, and then big long scream somewhere in the middle, preferable towards the end. It's a predictible earbleed.

She' just a karoekee machine that's spitting out quarters for Simon Cowell.

SP are not fools, they are cleaning up on royalties, the more singles this sells the better, especially for the lead singer who penned it and it cleaning up as the songwriter.

The song is rubbish. This won't stop drunk women trying to sing along at christmas parties and anytime if comes on in a nightclub. Remember the last Mirah Carey songs, well now it's going to be worse.

God save us all from this cynical rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shump2

Her voice is potent which i would see alot of people liking that version, but lets be all honest here, on a road trip. Snow Patrol's version is the only one you want to be listening to, when the guitars kick in. its music, not Cowels money making s h i t ty version....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just after seeing her perform this on the royal variety performance. It was my first time hearing it from start to finish and I have to say the performance was spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Crappy cover versions usually make it to #1 in the UK charts at christmas time, Gary Jules - Mad World anyone?

Hey wait, isn't it Christmas in 3 weeks?!

Jaysus I loved Jules version of Mad World!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

cannot stand her version at all, ruins the original for me :(
    shes all about vocal gymnastics and cramming every note she can into the one line, ugh drives me mad!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dragonfly! wrote: »
    cannot stand her version at all, ruins the original for me :(
    shes all about vocal gymnastics and cramming every note she can into the one line, ugh drives me mad!:mad:
    That's weird, we must be listening to two different songs because I don't hear her trying to fit ''every note she can into one line''. Care to be more specific? And why does it ruin the original for you? wtf is that about?

Fact of the matter is, there's very little difference between either version other than the performer and how they approach the song. Nothing's been drastically changed or anything!

I get the impression that some people here feel that they have to hate it just because it's being sung by a girl who happened to win the X-Factor, so they come up with lame excuses like the above that really have no merit at all.

Advertisement