Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mk V Golf GTi

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've all but decided that my next car will be a Mk V Golf GTi.
    However I would not be switching for a year at least, so what I'm wondering is, if I buy it would you expect it to depreciate massively with the way everyone is switching to Diesel?

I would like a 3dr white GTi with DSG, does that ring any alarm bells?
    ie, do DSG GTi's sell on well? Also is 3dr a desirable feature or are 5dr's preferred. I would just like to be informed, I would probably still go for what I want unless there is really strong advice to the contrary.

Would it be mad expensive to import one of these from the UK for a decent spec? I know the new scheme works out in favour of low carbon cars.
    I would hope to keep it for at least 2 years.
    I'm 26 with four years no claims.

So really I'm wondering is the future market for GTi's going down the pan.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Your best bet would be to ask the same question on vagdrivers.net, plenty of guys with mark v gti's there who will be able to advise you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have a '07 3-door, excellent car.

But it pains me to see that's its becoming a victim of its own success - they are everywhere! And it's hurting residuals, thats for certain, not helped of course by the general doom and gloom in the market. You'll see '07's on carzone ranging from 24-32k, I'd say the 24k is probably closer to reality (unfortunately for me!).

As for 3-door versus 5, I personally much prefer the 3-door's appearance, just not a fan of small 5-door hatchbacks, especially when they have "sporty" pretensions.

They look brilliant in white, sometimes I'm sorry I didn't have the balls to go for it myself.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Neilw wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to ask the same question on vagdrivers.net, plenty of guys with mark v gti's there who will be able to advise you:)

Perhaps I wouldn't get an unbiased answer though.

Perhaps I wouldn't get an unbiased answer though.

You'd get plenty of honest opinions, I'm a member over there, the lads on there will tell you as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

3dr and DSG all the way for me.

In todays market a GTI is hard to shift anyway because people are not buying and GTI's are plentiful!

I would advise going to the uk much more choice in terms of picking up a fine car with leather,xenons etc.

Also if you are not buying for a year or so there might be a bargain to be found in the uk in the form of an edition30 GTI.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I have a '07 3-door, excellent car.

But it pains me to see that's its becoming a victim of its own success - they are everywhere! And it's hurting residuals, thats for certain, not helped of course by the general doom and gloom in the market. You'll see '07's on carzone ranging from 24-32k, I'd say the 24k is probably closer to reality (unfortunately for me!).

As for 3-door versus 5, I personally much prefer the 3-door's appearance, just not a fan of small 5-door hatchbacks, especially when they have "sporty" pretensions.

They look brilliant in white, sometimes I'm sorry I didn't have the balls to go for it myself.!

Is yours a DSG?
    Nearly all GTi's I've seen are red, followed by silver, and black. But I would definitely go for white, wanted one since the pre production version was shown (in white)

Anyone know when the GTi is out?

tossy wrote: »
    3dr and DSG all the way for me.

In todays market a GTI is hard to shift anyway because people are not buying and GTI's are plentiful!

I would advise going to the uk much more choice in terms of picking up a fine car with leather,xenons etc.

Also if you are not buying for a year or so there might be a bargain to be found in the uk in the form of an edition30 GTI.

Yeah the edition30 is a fine car alright, and should hold a bit more value.
    There was also a Pirelli version with the same engine however I don't think its as well known.
    The other plus with the edition 30 is the co2 and mpg is not really affected by the extra 30'ish bhp

I like the extra colour coding, but some people have mixed feelings, what do you guys think?

Is yours a DSG?
    Nearly all GTi's I've seen are red, followed by silver, and black. But I would definitely go for white, wanted one since the pre production version was shown (in white)

Anyone know when the GTi is out?

Nope, mine is manual. I test drove the DSG at the time, I didn't warm to it enough to part with the extra 2k odd! If I was buying again, I'd probably reconsider it.
    Yeah, those are the most common colours (black probably most common I'd have thought). My own is fairly unusual, a grey/blue metallic.

New GTI is probably going to appear mid next year. Its not radically different, the MK6 is effectively a heavily facelifted MK5.

I'm not a big fan of the extra colour coding on the Ed30, or the wheels, or the seats! The 18" Monza alloys on the standard GTI are iconic!
    The Pirelli was made in pretty small numbers and it seems most UK GTI enthusiasts didn't warm to it - the wheels, tyre tread on the seats, etc.

Neilw wrote: »

Might just do that, cheers.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nope, mine is manual. I test drove the DSG at the time, I didn't warm to it enough to part with the extra 2k odd! If I was buying again, I'd probably reconsider it.
    Yeah, those are the most common colours (black probably most common I'd have thought). My own is fairly unusual, a grey/blue metallic.

New GTI is probably going to appear mid next year. Its not radically different, the MK6 is effectively a heavily facelifted MK5.

I'm not a big fan of the extra colour coding on the Ed30, or the wheels, or the seats! The 18" Monza alloys on the standard GTI are iconic!
    The Pirelli was made in pretty small numbers and it seems most UK GTI enthusiasts didn't warm to it - the wheels, tyre tread on the seats, etc.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure about the wheels but haven't seen an edition30 in the metal so will reserve judgement. Are the seats different? I wasn't aware of that.
    Regarding the Pirelli, Yeah I hate when they screw up the interior, it put me right off the Focus RS.
    I suppose it would be sacrilege to change features of a limited edition car. Such as the wheels of an edition30?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure about the wheels but haven't seen an edition30 in the metal so will reserve judgement. Are the seats different? I wasn't aware of that.
    Regarding the Pirelli, Yeah I hate when they screw up the interior, it put me right off the Focus RS.
    I suppose it would be sacrilege to change features of a limited edition car. Such as the wheels of an edition30?

There's a lot lot more tartan on the ED30 seats, its very in-your-face. And a lot of red-stitching everywhere - steering wheel, handbrake, etc. Its a shame VW Ireland never bothered importing them though.

I've seen pics of GTI's with 19" BBS CH wheels which look great, and as close to OEM as it gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

There were 2 wheel options on the ED30 both are sweet but the anthracite CHs would be my choice.

The pirelli is a sweet car also,haven seen it in the flesh i love it,before thati wasnt sure.

The extra 30bhp on the ED30 is a gimmic as far as im concerend as the later model GTIs with the BWA enigne code have been proven to be putting out 220+ bhp anyway,although a pirelli or ED30 will remap to 300bhp safely,but that woudl be just ridiculous to put down through the front wheels.

Advertisement