Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop Replacement

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Hi guys., I bought a desktop pc in a store that I am not going to name. I have it a few months, 2 months ago there was a problem with it and I rang up the shop that I bought it in and they arranged for somebody to come out to my house and fix it. A person did arrive within a day, I was very pleased with this. Anyway they replaced the motherboard on the machine, that was grand. After a week the laptop went faulty again, so again I rang up the shop and they got someone out to me. It was the same fault and it was replaced again. Now it has happened again, and I am looking for a refund or replacement. The shop operates a 35 day policy were if the product is not replaced within the 35 days they will exchange it. My argument is that the same fault was in it for more than 35 days. Where do I stand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

as this is the same fault the warranty period should have frozen at the time it was first reported as the attempted repairs have been unsuccessful.

what do you mean aboput this 35day policy and if not replaced they will exchange within 35days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Is it on a cover plan thingy and are you claiming on that or the one year warranty?

If on either the retailer has the right to attempt repair so long as it wishes however there is a reasonable amount of repairs you should have to go through. IMO 2 to 3 for the same problem is more than enough.

In the instance of another failure, honestly they wont know until they get their hands on it so they cannot just assume its the same fault so you will have to plead your case with the store directly. This time they may take it in house to investigate further. I would ask for a repair however under the condition that if it failed again a relacement should be offered. Get names and put it in writing as well as verbal.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and they repaired(actually just replaced the motherboard which was not the problem, motherboard replacement appears to be the soloution to every PC problem at the first stage)3 times. on the fourth time they said it was not worth it repairing it again so they gave me money back, not the full value, as the machine was over 3 years old and on a cover plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is it on a cover plan thingy and are you claiming on that or the one year warranty?

If on either the retailer has the right to attempt repair so long as it wishes however there is a reasonable amount of repairs you should have to go through. IMO 2 to 3 for the same problem is more than enough.

In the instance of another failure, honestly they wont know until they get their hands on it so they cannot just assume its the same fault so you will have to plead your case with the store directly. This time they may take it in house to investigate further. I would ask for a repair however under the condition that if it failed again a relacement should be offered. Get names and put it in writing as well as verbal.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and they repaired(actually just replaced the motherboard which was not the problem, motherboard replacement appears to be the soloution to every PC problem at the first stage)3 times. on the fourth time they said it was not worth it repairing it again so they gave me money back, not the full value, as the machine was over 3 years old and on a cover plan.
    repairs must be permenant so if the retailer keeps failing to repair properly then you do have the right to look for a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

foggy_lad wrote: »
    repairs must be permenant so if the retailer keeps failing to repair properly then you do have the right to look for a replacement

i did say reasonable amount of repairs before next step but no you dont have the right, the retailer has the right to choose repair,refund or replace, within reason of course, hence my stance that the OP should at lest give it one more go with repair but at the same time try to get the store to agree that this will be the last one saying that you need it for work etc cost you your job etc

Its sickening that they have this choice but its there for a reason,repair would be cheaper(sometimes).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    The shop operates a 35 day policy were if the product is not replaced within the 35 days they will exchange it. My argument is that the same fault was in it for more than 35 days. Where do I stand?
    Reread that 35 day thing, to ensure that it's not 35 days from when you bought it (28 days is the standard amount of time).

As for the person coming out, how much time did he spend looking at it? As you fail to say what problem you had with it, can't really say if the mobo was the problem or not. I'd almost say to bring it into the shop, and get it looked at properly. The repair/replacement/refund is up to the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks for your advice guys, the shop was more than helpful abd they swapped it around for another machine for me. It was not under the coverplan that a poster above asked about.

Advertisement