Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Has anyone installed an aftermarket cruise control?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've an old car (94) and want to fit a cruise control to it. I read that alot of fuel is wasted when crusing at 60 for example because you are often on and off the pedal. ie. The car goes down to 57 you move back up to 63 and so on and so forth.

Anybody done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't fit cruise on the basis that it will save you fuel, the amount saved will in no way compare to the expense/hassle of having it fitted. Cruise is really a convenience thing, if a lot of your driving is on the open road then it is nice to have. There are firms who fit aftermarket cruise, and i've heard that some VAG cars just need the switch installed to give functioning cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't fit cruise on the basis that it will save you fuel

I'll go one step further. It is easy to drive at the same average speed and use less fuel than a car that has cruise control fitted

People tend to brake later when the cc is on (rather than ease off the accelerator earlier). Also cc will up the revs quicker uphill, to keep to the set speed. In a car without cc, you can just use the momentum of the car to go uphill to some extent and gain back the lost speed going down the hill or gradually accelerating later

unkel wrote: »
    In a car without cc, you can just use the momentum of the car to go uphill to some extent and gain back the lost speed going down the hill or gradually accelerating later
    Kind of like hybrid for V8s.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I wouldn't fit cruise on the basis that it will save you fuel, the amount saved will in no way compare to the expense/hassle of having it fitted. Cruise is really a convenience thing, if a lot of your driving is on the open road then it is nice to have. There are firms who fit aftermarket cruise, and i've heard that some VAG cars just need the switch installed to give functioning cruise control.

I was actually going to fit it myself but as per unkel I think I'll abandon that idea. I can imagine it working better on the US highways when there not too busy.
    unkel wrote: »
    I'll go one step further. It is easy to drive at the same average speed and use less fuel than a car that has cruise control fitted

People tend to brake later when the cc is on (rather than ease off the accelerator earlier). Also cc will up the revs quicker uphill, to keep to the set speed. In a car without cc, you can just use the momentum of the car to go uphill to some extent and gain back the lost speed going down the hill or gradually accelerating later

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Unkel is right. I know my car applies the brakes and accelerator to keep it at the required speed when cruise is on. this is wasting fuel. For example going down hill, it will brake the car to the set speed thus loosing free momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You know you can just blip the throttle to turn it off when you want to?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ You know you can just blip the throttle to turn it off when you want to?

I know perfectly well how to operate my cruise. I was making the point that the op is wrong to think that it would be a fuel saving addition when in fact it can be the opposite.

And no blipping the throttle doesnt turn it off. I can use the throttle to accelerate from the set speed but cruise will pick it up again if i lift off. Blipping the throttle going down hill will allow it to gain speed alright with the cruise again picking it up when road gradient causes a slow down. I can also clutch and drive up through the gears with the cruise on and it looks after the revs itself. Tip the brake to turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My mistake, tip the brake then. Don't have it myself, and never drove a vehicle with it. I think I remember reading it was more economical though?

Not your ornery onager

Kind of like hybrid for V8s.:)

Don't curse in the church :D

I used to use cruise control on motorway driving but there really is little point in this country. My current ('86) car does have cruise control, but it doesn't work. I can't even be bothered to have a look at it or get it fixed.

And anyway, I don't even care about how much my fuel consumption is on my car, but where others care I'll try and help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think cc is the business.

Some systems though are much easier to use then others depending on where the stalk is located and how easy it is to up/down the speed and cancel its operation. I travel up/down the north on the M1 a lot and I have literally driven from the airport on cc to Newry without touching the accelerator once in that time apart from the Drogheda toll booth.

this crowd sell aftermarket cc systems

http://www.waeco.com/en/298.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mickdw wrote: »
    I can also clutch and drive up through the gears with the cruise on and it looks after the revs itself. Tip the brake to turn off.

Hmmm, So tapping the clutch doesn't turn off the CC??? Only cars I have been in with CC are Opels, and when you touch the clutch at all it knocks off the CC.

Going back to the OP question, I have thought about retrofitting CC to a A4 before, I think what was needed was the CC lever and a different throttle sensor. Also, You will need vag-com (connect the car to a laptop) to turn on the CC in the ECU.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    ISome systems though are much easier to use then others depending on where the stalk is located and how easy it is to up/down the speed and cancel its operation.
    I was thinking this myself, when I had older Mercedes I used the system all the time, whereas the one on my current Forester sees use once a week tops. The Mercedes system was ergonomically perfect.

I was thinking this myself, when I had older Mercedes I used the system all the time, whereas the one on my current Forester sees use once a week tops. The Mercedes system was ergonomically perfect.

Yeah Lex Luthor has a good point there. In the 7-series, I only have to press one button on the steering wheel (right beside where my right indicating finger is anyway) to engage cc. I did use it a lot and I too have made it a few times from the airport to Drogheda with it only coming off for the toll

That said, I don't miss it. I find it easy to live without it.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmmm, So tapping the clutch doesn't turn off the CC??? Only cars I have been in with CC are Opels, and when you touch the clutch at all it knocks off the CC.
    quote]

No doesnt turn off mine(audi A5). pressing the clutch kills the revs, then it accelerates away again once new gear is selected and off the clutch

Advertisement