Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on stopin brain fryin from mobile?

• 21-11-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Anyone any expience with anythin designed to stop the mobile fryin your brain? WiFi is such a cool function to have in a phone, but its potentially extra brain fry. I used to have a pocket in my trousers above my knee for my phone, that knee got dodgy, I lost the phone, knee got better... I don't notice the effect of my phone as much these days, which could be either the signal is less dodgy, or I'm getting callouses and not noticing.
    Using a blue tooth headset might help a bit, as a less strong signal...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I don't think you need to worry. There have been no proven links between mobile phone use and cancer. Most of the advisories are precautionary due to the lack of long term exposure data. Have a read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health

The amount of energy involved in these transmissions is tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Although tinfoil hats help.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

Thanks for that long article which I'll read later. Wee bit from it tho

some national radiation advisory authorities, including those of Austria,[5] France,[6] Germany,[7] and Sweden[8] recommended to their citizens measures to minimize exposure. Examples of the recommendations are:

* Use hands-free to decrease the radiation to the head.
    * Keep the mobile phone away from the body.
    * Do not telephone in a car without an external antenna.

However, the use of "hands-free" was not recommended by the British Consumers' Association in a statement in November 2000 as they believed that exposure was increased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

tinfoil-hat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

mobius42 wrote: »
    I don't think you need to worry. There have been no proven links between mobile phone use and cancer. Most of the advisories are precautionary due to the lack of long term exposure data. Have a read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health

The amount of energy involved in these transmissions is tiny.

Wikipedia? The motherlode of unbiased, life-saving medical info? Hahaha...of course there are links between mobile signals and all sorts of ailments! The beauty of course is that the widely held concept of what cancer is, is so flawed that that kind of research can so easily be 'debunked'... That's how big tobacco got away with it for decades! And that's how my grandfather - a smoker of 50+/day - died happily in hus sleep at 92 years. Not having seen a doc for over 30 years...
    We are also told gm food's just all peachy, yet in peer reviewed and replicated experiments, lab rats and mice will rather starve to death thab touch gm grain... Go figure! At least THEY don't die from cancer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The problem with you knee may well have been caused by the phone, but by having it in a pocket where it was hitting against your knee all day long is more likely. A new pair of trousers is your best bet for curing that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

robinph wrote: »
    The problem with you knee may well have been caused by the phone, but by having it in a pocket where it was hitting against your knee all day long is more likely. A new pair of trousers is your best bet for curing that issue.

There's always that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

"The problem with you knee may well have been caused by the phone, but by having it in a pocket where it was hitting against your knee all day long is more likely. A new pair of trousers is your best bet for curing that issue."

It was just above my knee, so really minimal impact. The whole knee began to feel sore, deep into it. not just a little bruising, which couldn't I don't think be caused by the impct of carrying it.

Another time I carried a pda on my hip, that hip began to get quite sore, which could well be cause by the marathon training, but I stoped carrying it there anyway.

Personally I think its got to effect us. If the radio buzz's when the phone is near, we have a sensitive energy field too. We've never had a generation of people using mobiles the way we do to know the effect. Its an experiment we don't know the result of. But when your ear burns after use of it, It can't be good. I'm sure there are ways of reducing the harm. As the article says don't use the phone in the car unless it has an external antenna. I need to check that out, but the signal bouncin round the tin can of a car prob aint good either

strecker wrote: »
    Wikipedia? The motherlode of unbiased, life-saving medical info? Hahaha...of course there are links between mobile signals and all sorts of ailments! The beauty of course is that the widely held concept of what cancer is, is so flawed that that kind of research can so easily be 'debunked'... That's how big tobacco got away with it for decades! And that's how my grandfather - a smoker of 50+/day - died happily in hus sleep at 92 years. Not having seen a doc for over 30 years...
    We are also told gm food's just all peachy, yet in peer reviewed and replicated experiments, lab rats and mice will rather starve to death thab touch gm grain... Go figure! At least THEY don't die from cancer!

I linked to that article as it is a good overview of the current research into this issue. There are numerous links on that page to the studies involved if you care to read them.
    Also, it's very ironic that you criticise Wikipedia and then go on and make a statement that epitomises [citation needed]. "Of course" there are links? Where are these links? The recommendations of the various bodies are purely precautionary. "All sorts of ailments"? Be more vague please. The rest of your post I could barely understand.

patjunfa wrote: »

It was just above my knee, so really minimal impact. The whole knee began to feel sore, deep into it. not just a little bruising, which couldn't I don't think be caused by the impct of carrying it.

Another time I carried a pda on my hip, that hip began to get quite sore, which could well be cause by the marathon training, but I stoped carrying it there anyway.

Personally I think its got to effect us. If the radio buzz's when the phone is near, we have a sensitive energy field too. We've never had a generation of people using mobiles the way we do to know the effect. Its an experiment we don't know the result of. But when your ear burns after use of it, It can't be good. I'm sure there are ways of reducing the harm. As the article says don't use the phone in the car unless it has an external antenna. I need to check that out, but the signal bouncin round the tin can of a car prob aint good either

I used to think my phone caused pain in my thigh, but it turned out I have a knee injury. There are so many possible causes for pain that you can't say that the phone is the definite cause. Also, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. Which is more likely, that the pain was caused by muscle fatigue or that your phone, through some unknown mechanism, caused pain in your leg?
    This hysteria about mobile phones and cancer is just sensationalist scaremongering and superstition. Yes, we should research it of course, but don't jump to conclusions without any evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

strecker wrote: »
    My god you do talk alot of crap! I agree somewhat on Wikipedia though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AlkalizeIreland

I use a qlink pendant which keeps the electro current throughtout the body flowing were wifi and mobiles would interfere. I bought it off ebay its used mainly by golfers because it also helps their game. Dr young recommends it i will put up a photo and article about it on this page soon. http://www.bebo.com/Alkalize_Ireland

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpcT-beUJY&feature=related

Check all the related videos on this it works and its scientific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Ah so thats why phones are scramblin our brains cause we are so acidic ok and ill die if im too acidic oh how ive seen the light what bull.
    Hmm something very strange about that last post and poster dont ya think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lol, second last poster, post count = 1.

Anyway, there is a great line from the west wing that goes like this:

Red meat has been found to cause cancer in white rats. Maraschino cherries have been found to cause cancer in white rats. Cellular phones have been found to cause cancer in white rats. Has anyone examined the possibility that cancer might be hereditary in white rats?

You have to think about it.

I put my wallet in the pocket above my knee on my right side. And I put cigarettes, phone and ID in the one on my left. OP, was your phone on its on in the pocket? Did you have anything to counter balance it on the other leg? If not, I think the pain had more to do with you being off balance when you walk than the evil radiation from your phone. If you dont believe me, head over to the Military forum and ask them what would happen if you set off on a route march and the weight your carrying is uneven placed.

As for having it on your waist, remember you bend at the waist, the waist band of your trousers is usually above your waist, and your pda is dangling off the waist band. Again I think your pain was down to ergonomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

AlkalizeIreland banned for shilling a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I would imagine carrying a pda on your hip while training for a marathon can't be good for you!!:D ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

syklops wrote: »
    Lol, second last poster, post count = 1.

Anyway, there is a great line from the west wing that goes like this:

Red meat has been found to cause cancer in white rats. Maraschino cherries have been found to cause cancer in white rats. Cellular phones have been found to cause cancer in white rats. Has anyone examined the possibility that cancer might be hereditary in white rats?

Also according to this web site Dihydrogen Monoxide (aka Hydric acid) is quite a dangerous substance, maybe the OP has been exposed to it.

Also according to this web site Dihydrogen Monoxide (aka Hydric acid) is quite a dangerous substance, maybe the OP has been exposed to it.

You have to be very careful with that stuff. Too much of it can cause suffocation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I used to have a pocket in my trousers above my knee for my phone, that knee got dodgy, I lost the phone, knee got better...

The only solution for your continuing problems with how to carry your electronics is to get yourself a gadget belt. Then your various hip and knee problems will be solved for ever, and you'll look cool. :cool:

Seriously though, if you keep having problems with body parts after carrying something odd on that limb for long periods of time the the obvious answer is that your carrying those gadgets the wrong way, not that some mysterious unknown force is causing the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Giddyuplike

That post looks like bull alrigth but ive heard of the qlink penant alright. A friend of mine is a health freak and uses it on him and his kids. Probly the alkalize guy who brainwash him. He still swear by it. Say it blocks mobile emfs or sumthin

• Advertisement
Advertisement