Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern Contemporary design.

• 21-11-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭

I heard today about our planning permission, and it was sent back to us for FI, which isn't a problem because I think they are just technicalities and once amended should mean our house being granted FPP. The house we submitted is a real basic, classic design, that I hoped would sail past the scrutiny of the LA, and so far it has. So now I am asking myself some question

Like:
    1 - If we are granted planning permission, what process has to be followed if we decided that we wanted to change our plans for a more contemporary, modern design. Is it a full re-submittal? Or is it just a matter of submitting the new set of plans for approval by the LA i.e not the whole site notice etc etc again?

2 - What realistically are the chances of getting FPP for a contemporary design in rural Ireland (Offaly to be precise)? You hear so much and see so many programs on TV showing off modern eco friendly houses, but in reality what are they chances of being granted FPP for such a design. Does it need to be away on its own so as not to have other houses local that contrast it too much? Does it need to have a selling point e.g a river, a woods etc that the design can take cues from. Am I right in assuming a modern design including flat concrete roofs covered in grass and large glass facades to the rear would not be accepted on a flat field with a house 150M away.

Sorry that my questions kind of rambled on there but I am really interested in hearing the views of the boardsies that work in the industry and know more about this than myself.

Thanks in advance for any opinions offered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

1. Any changes in design will reguire full planning permission. A contempory design would involve a completely new application.

2. Design is subjective. In therory there is no reason why a contemporary design should not be acceptable, based on its site and good design principles.

Sometimes I wonder why we seek the latest mobile phone, flat screen tv etc but feel we should like in mock Georgian or mock Victorian houses. A sort of white picket fences syndrome.

Its interesting to know that the general consensus is that bungalows are not a very eonomical form to heat. Maybe current changes and requirements of the Building Regulations and a general need to save resources will result in more contemporary passive design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If its just a change of design you may be able to make a change of house type application. (some LA's do not allow this and you'll have to make a full application in that case!!)

Some counties also have design guidelines, Cork for example have a comprehensive guide, other counties vary,but they can be quite restrictive but may permit modern comtemporary energy efficient / passive design. Check what you Co Council's requirements are, downlaod the development plan and rural housing guiidlines if there are any and see what it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

We got permission for change of house design. It's a full re-submission albeit (I think) the fee is reduced - can't quite remember.

If you are doing something different, design-wise, I would suggest two things:

1. Have a pre-planning meeting to go over what you are considering doing. For this you do need a pretty firm idea as to the overall form/size/finish/glazing/orientation of the new design. Assuming you do care(!) - show that you are open to suggestions from the planner and that it's not just a session to pick up brownie-points.

2. Draw up a design justification memo. Make plenty of references to the relevant design guidelines and how you have considered or incorporated them. I certainly think that planners are becoming more attuned to contemporary forms as well as the consideration for siting - for instance to attain good levels of solar gain. Show why you think this design is appropriate to the site, the vicinity and the current trends towards energy efficiency/sustainability. Can you introduce vernacular forms into the design?

I have gone through this process and hope to start building any day now...It is possible (local planner policies allowing, of course).

(Whoops, should point out I am not strictly in the business myself!)

Advertisement