Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route to Medicine?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Righty all, got a challenge for you.

1. Tell me if I'm crazy/deluded.
    2. Any advice appreciated.
    3. Etc etc.
    So, my situation.

I'm 20, living and working full time in the UK since Summer 2006. I did my Junior Cert in 2003 (7A [Maths, English, French, Music, Science, CSPE, Business], 2B [Geography, History], 1C [Irish], all at higher level) and went straight into fifth year. Due to some personal issues, I didn't do terribly well in fifth year, and despite moving to the Institute for sixth year didn't do much better. Decided to drop out and started working, first in IT Support, then moved to the UK and now working as cabin crew.

I love flying, absolutely love it, but it's quite dead end with no real opportunity for progression. I've always wanted to go into medicine - it was my sole goal all the way through secondary school.

Now, I've come up with a (possibly hare-brained) plan and invite critique!

Stage 1:
    Feb 2009 - June-ish 2013
    Open University - BSc Life Sciences

Stage 2:
    2013 - 2017
    Graduate Entry Medicine (move back to Ireland)

Advantages are that I can keep working (and saving) until I move back, making the course ever so slightly less expensive, also allows me to take advantage of some share options and other service incentives.

Disadvantages are tackling the GAMSAT, though hopefully with a Science first degree that part shouldn't be too much of an issue. And of course, cost is always going to be a factor. I've seen €100,000 bandied about for course fees and living expenses for the medical programme, though (all going well) I should be able to cover at least a quarter of that from money in the bank.

Is this the easiest option? Is there another way I can go about this? Am I crazy? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Might be best to read the biology/medicine forum or have this thread moved to there. I know there are a fair few graduate entry med students there that might give you some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I can move it there if it's okay with you WexCan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Stupid Q; but what's the GAMSAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Advertisement