Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

splitting the phone line for sky reduces the broadband speed

Options
  • 21-11-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I knew this inside out but didnt even think about it before i put 2 phone extensions in.

We have 2 sky boxes that needed to be wired up to the phone line (had an engineer out doin repairs) so finally got to wiring up the phone lines correctly.
    I cut the main phone line that was coming from the front door(where eircom put it) to the main phone socket and from that attached two phone cables. i used a junction box and they are connected securely.
    total length i added was about 10m on one line and call it 8m on the other.

When i have the phone cables plugged into the sky box my internet dropps from 5mbps do like 1.2mbps
    If i unplug them then it goes as high as 2mbps.

Hopefully if i remove the 2 extensions the speed will return.

1. Anyone know the technical reason for this ? (such as the phone lines work on 9V and the more cabling that is on it the vlotage splits)
    2. Is there any way that i can keep them plugged in without losing the speed (extra power source in the house maybe?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 glimmerman54

Assuming the drop in speed occured right after you installed the extra lines for sky. Did you put adsl filters on those new lines? You should have an adsl filter on every phone line except for the broadband modem. Best Practices would recomend that you split the line right after the eircom box and put an adsl filter on one line and and put the other the unfiltered line into your modem into. You can of course add more phone lines to the split line after the adsl filter. Or if you want the fast fix just put adsl filters on all phone lines except the broadband modem.

afaik sky only uses the phone line for purchases.

Post back how let us know how you get on.
    Cos if this doesnt work i have a few more ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

hmmm... I do have an ADSL fliter but only on the main line.

thing is that the other two lines that i just put in dont have anything connected to them right now (i disconnected them from the boxes, so the RJ11's are just lying idle. and i still have half the speed i should.

more idea o.0 ? :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have been troubleshooting some poor eircom 3Mb download speeds lately and have the same setup as OP. But, you must have ADSL filter on the line to the sky+ box or the phone line will be always engaged when someone tries to ring.

The sky+ box did not effect the speeds but it did appear to have an effect on the ping times. Ping times improved when the sky+ box was disconnected from the phone line. I kept the ADSL filter at the termination point. pings before were 300ms and 170ms after. Not great but I complained to eircom about poor downloads and poor ping times of 600ms and I had to rule out the sky+ box. Strangely, my ping and dowmload speed only improved after I contacted eircom.

My setup: From first hard line in, split in 2. One point goes to sky + box with ADSL filter just before the sky box. Second point is split using ADSL filter to router and phone.

OP, try a ADSL filter at each termination to troubleshoot your poor downloads.

i dont have them plugged into anything so no use for a filter :(

i wanted something that would introduce power into the system so it would be spread but it may not have been invented yet. might have to invent it and earn a few hundred thousand euro for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

samhail wrote: »
    I cut the main phone line that was coming from the front door(where eircom put it) to the main phone socket and from that attached two phone cables. i used a junction box and they are connected securely.
    total length i added was about 10m on one line and call it 8m on the other.

Am I reading it right that you cut the phoneline before it entered the Eircom master socket?
    If thats the case then thats likely to be the problem. You should have wired the extensions into the back of the master socket or the bottom half where you can remove half the front cover if it's a newer type.

• Advertisement

no sorry...
    the eircom line comes into the front door. there is an extension that came from there to another room where the main phone is. from there i have network cables coming out of my router.

What i did was broke the line coming from the main door to the main phone and pulled extensions from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 glimmerman54

Next thing to do is actuall determine the cause of the problem is, I seriously doubt its a power issue.
    I would remove all the other wiring at the junction box except for the broadband line and test your speed? If service is restored and you have 5mb connection if not ring eircom. No if your speed is restored start adding back the lines at the junction one at a time and testing until you find until you find the breakpoint.
    At the moment it seems like a bit of faulty wiring.

got back up into the attic finally and sorted it out. looks like it was faulty wiring/junction box.

back to 5MPS !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Be aware that yes you may have 5mb now but if you do not have adsl filters installed on everything you will get the dsl dropping the connection when the sky box dials out. Sky boxes dial a 1800 number every few days as far as I can remember. It tops up your credit etc. Thing is if there is no filter this dialing out may cut your dsl for a while, not the end of the world but annoying.

To get over this what we do is instead of having 5 adsl filters we terminate a dsl connection and then out of the filter we split that into how many ever connections needed.. Works a treat and saves on 10e filters!!

Advertisement