Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OPen insurnace policy on garage insurance

Options
  • 22-11-2008 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, if you get a replacement car from a garage while you one is being fixed and you have open insurance, you can legally drive the car right? OPen insurance being under the premise that you can drive any car with owners consent and it being insured? Please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'm not entirely sure on the situation, so hopefully someone could clear it up, but my understanding is most operate under Garage plates (the green reg plates) which entitle the holder to drive any car in a roadworthy condition provided they are covered on the policy and have the owners consent.

You should check it out with the garage before driving on the road anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

macroman wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure on the situation, so hopefully someone could clear it up, but my understanding is most operate under Garage plates (the green reg plates) which entitle the holder to drive any car in a roadworthy condition provided they are covered on the policy and have the owners consent.

You should check it out with the garage before driving on the road anyway.

YOU WISH!!!

If you have been given a courtesy car by a garage, they will always make sure that you have not just 3rd party but fully comp insurance. So if you total their asset, they get their asset replaced and it comes off your insurance policy. Do you seriously think that there is a garage in this world that will give you a car, let you drive it around the country on their insurance policy and if you crash, they lose their no claims bonus!?!?!

Garage plates are only for sales staff collecting vehicles or mechanics test driving cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

In most cases, personal insurance policies will not cover you on fleet/garage cars, despite having open insurance.

Advertisement