Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate rip off Star Trek

• 22-11-2008 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I've seen every DS9 TNG VOY ENT and every Stargate and I cant help but notice simularities in the two franchises.

1. The DS9 Wormhole/Stargate wormhole.
    2. Teal'c is kinda simular character to Worf.
    3. In DS9 there was a Lt. chulak/Teal'c 's homeworld - chulak.
    4. Profits and Pa'raits/Ancients and Ori (even down to the fire).
    5. Very simular storylines.

If I sat down and watched every episode I would be able to give tens of examples. I know its not concrete evidence but there are too many things simular to ignore. But did they rip off Star Trek or Pay homage to Star Trek. That's always the question. They even got a Batleth into a Stargate episode (The one with Doctor Phlox in it).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

just on your number 1
    Stargate movie was around well before ds9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Never really liked the Stargate series. The movie was very good but the series was just a bit cheap, and they always went to the same alpine forest land over and over again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It wouldn't be all that hard to find similarities between every sci-fi show ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

just on your number 1
    Stargate movie was around well before ds9
    DS9 arrived '93. Stargate in '94, no ?

Anyway, it's a moot point. Wormholes are fairly common plot devices in sci-fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Besides you can't feel aggrieved over it if they did anyway seeing as DS9 completely ripped off Babylon 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Tealc is a knock off of Spock dude, not Worf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Brimmy wrote: »
    Besides you can't feel aggrieved over it if they did anyway seeing as DS9 completely ripped off Babylon 5.

yea by DS9 being a better show ?

just like the new battlestar galatica ripes of space above and beyound. but using the same stories lines but being a worse show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Vokes wrote: »
    DS9 arrived '93. Stargate in '94, no ?
    Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Rawr

starn wrote: »
    Tealc is a knock off of Spock dude, not Worf.

I would feel that it's a little of both here. Teal'c is pretty much SG1's token 'Klingon Worf' character.

I would recon that a lot of Sci-Fi writers are influenced by the sci-fi they see and since Star Trek and Star Wars are the big boys in the genre, a lot of the ideas out there would mirror them (or other series).

I have seen the 'Kingon Worf' character in many series. Andromeda had that guy in dreds, FarScape had that alien guy....in dreds. There are others, but can't think of them right now.... Point is, Worf worked out as a pretty good character in Star Trek. Writers probably saw this formula of an honor-driven aggressive warrior character (usually from an enemy race) as something needed to make a 'Star Trek beater'.

Unfortunatly, in most cases they would forget to write a good character for their 'Kingon Worf' and thus fail altogether. Worf himself was pretty good character behind the formula.

However, on topic, does Stargate rip off Star Trek?
    Pretty much...yes it does.
    However, I think it's mostly due to a lack of choices. There are only so many different situations and combinations you can pull off until you end up copying another series, somehow, somewhere. SG1 and Atlantis ended up a lot like Star Trek, due to the merit of them actually having a fleet of Starships, transporters, shields...etc....Atlantis itself feels like a take of DS9 with 'Bajorans' (sort of) aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rawr wrote: »
    SG1 and Atlantis ended up a lot like Star Trek, due to the merit of them actually having a fleet of Starships, transporters, shields...etc....Atlantis itself feels like a take of DS9 with 'Bajorans' (sort of) aswell!

Prepare for even more similarities with the new Stargate: Universe. It's set on a ship that is travelling through a new galaxy on a pre-determined course and the crew can only explore the planets that the ship goes by, and they don't know if they can ever get home.

Voyager much?

• Advertisement

Prepare for even more similarities with the new Stargate: Universe. It's set on a ship that is travelling through a new galaxy on a pre-determined course and the crew can only explore the planets that the ship goes by, and they don't know if they can ever get home.

Voyager much?

Very much indeed. The 'don't know if they can ever get home' spin was also used for Atlantis in the beginning too. It tastes like they are running out of steam with the Stargate franchise. SG1 have gone through plenty of big baddies, they pretty much know everything about Atlantis and you can only kill Lego Monsters so many times before it becomes tiresome.

It feels like they should just give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They're the same genre, so don't be surprised of the similar storylines.

Star Trek is the best though......

Except ENT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Voyager much?

By your nonsense logic voyager must be a rip off of quantum leap or any other program were sumone is stranded.

I suppose I cud even stretech it to say that Voyager was a rip off of lost in space. See how stupid that sounds.

One can find similarities in anything.

Stargate and Star trek and completely different programs. Just because they now have ships in stargate does not make it a clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I've seen every DS9 TNG VOY ENT and every Stargate and I cant help but notice simularities in the two franchises.

1. The DS9 Wormhole/Stargate wormhole.
    2. Teal'c is kinda simular character to Worf.
    3. In DS9 there was a Lt. chulak/Teal'c 's homeworld - chulak.
    4. Profits and Pa'raits/Ancients and Ori (even down to the fire).
    5. Very simular storylines.

If I sat down and watched every episode I would be able to give tens of examples. I know its not concrete evidence but there are too many things simular to ignore. But did they rip off Star Trek or Pay homage to Star Trek. That's always the question. They even got a Batleth into a Stargate episode (The one with Doctor Phlox in it).

blasfamy,of course there are gona be sum smilarities seeing as there both science fiction but stargate has a whole different feel and attitude to it than star trek

somuj wrote: »
    By your nonsense logic voyager must be a rip off of quantum leap or any other program were sumone is stranded.

I suppose I cud even stretech it to say that Voyager was a rip off of lost in space. See how stupid that sounds.

Stargate and Star trek and completely different programs. Just because they now have ships in stargate does not make it a clone.

Well I actually agree with you that they are only similar because it's scifi, but I can see why the OP saw similarities.
    I'm a big fan of both shows and for different reasons. Neither show would be successful if they hadn't stolen/borrowed/taken inspiration from other shows/books/films, but they would also never have been successful without their own new ideas and original spin on things.

I used the voyager comparison as an example because a few people in the SG forum have taken to referring to the upcoming SG: Universe as Stargate Voyager.

sexmag wrote: »
    blasfamy,of course there are gona be sum smilarities seeing as there both science fiction but stargate has a whole different feel and attitude to it than star trek

I would agree with you there sexmag. As I said little earlier, I felt that a lack of choices would eventually cause a show in this genre to use an idea already covered before. However, I do feel that Stargate certainly put an effort into a different style of storytelling, carrying on from the Army/Airforce approach of the film. They weren't exploring for the sake of exploring, they were pretty much at war and needed to find stuff to win it.

I do feel that Stargate: Universe may be stretching an already over-stretched franchise too far. I could very well be wrong, but the concept covers ground that was covered before. To work, I feel that the style or character and storytelling will need to be different to both Star Trek and it's parent franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

You're right there OP, I personally think it is down to bad writing. What I can't understand is how Atlantis found itself in the position it was before it was cancelled. The removal of Ford was stupid imo. He was a young and eager soldier and would have been brilliant as a character. The actor himself got fed up with the lack of direction (as expected). Then the main character (Weir) leaves as well....wtf...that is terrible production and again shows bad writing. Could you imagine Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Richard Dean Anderson having to leave because of a lack of direction for their characters, it just doesn't happen. They map out a few seasons in advance. The fcuked it up and now seeing that the series is cancelled (99 episodes) the new brain storming plan over in Vancouver is to do a new series (a la Voyager) when it is clear they had a lack of direction for Atlantis. I feel sorry for the cast and crew who will be working on the new series. Expect more Star Trek references and frustrated fans. Rant over (for now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

IvySlayer wrote: »
    They're the same genre, so don't be surprised of the similar storylines.

Star Trek is the best though......

Except ENT.

and Voyager.

(ENT was ok apart from the rednecks in space angle they were clearly going for).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Trek & SG share some base elements, but they are still compleatley diffirent shows. the stargates are very much adventure series with a little bit of tongue-in-cheek.Trek always felt a little sterile, even Voyager (the most palatable of the series) besides DS9, Trek never made the story arc work (except season 3 of ENT). this is something SG-1 has pulled off to great effect.

Teal'c and Wark are both strong dudes and oth black, the similarities really end there.:)

Oh, and dont forget, people were calling Atlantis Stargate: Voyager before they saw that show too...and were proven wrong...don't be too quick to judge Universe until you've finally seen it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

DenMan wrote: »
    You're right there OP, I personally think it is down to bad writing. What I can't understand is how Atlantis found itself in the position it was before it was cancelled. The removal of Ford was stupid imo. He was a young and eager soldier and would have been brilliant as a character. The actor himself got fed up with the lack of direction (as expected). Then the main character (Weir) leaves as well....wtf...that is terrible production and again shows bad writing. Could you imagine Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Richard Dean Anderson having to leave because of a lack of direction for their characters, it just doesn't happen. They map out a few seasons in advance. The fcuked it up and now seeing that the series is cancelled (99 episodes) the new brain storming plan over in Vancouver is to do a new series (a la Voyager) when it is clear they had a lack of direction for Atlantis. I feel sorry for the cast and crew who will be working on the new series. Expect more Star Trek references and frustrated fans. Rant over (for now).

ditto ... and a round of applause for summing it up in one paragraph where I'd have been on page 10 by now LOL

I'm a lifelong Trekkie and have converted to Gaterism (forgive me Great Bird of The Galaxy, for I have sinned). I watched DS9 and SG-1 and where there are similarities, they are also very different shows with their own plus and minus points. The comparison between characters carries over to other shows, ther other night I watched Serenity and was stuck by how much Team Atlantis resembles the Browncoats. I've never watched B5 and only saw a few episodes of the re-imagining of BG so I can't speak to them.

Ultimately my preference lies with the Gate on grounds that it's contemporary and not set several hundred years in the future - one of my bug bears about Trek was the whole "Americanisation" of everything in the future

Although I will "quote" Jason whatsisname (he was the Ranger in B5) who said at a Con why all the infighting, can't you just appreciate the genre as a whole?

Wise words ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

somuj wrote: »

I tend to agree with you there. I'm a big fan of both Stargate SG1 and StarTrek Vogager. Both were great Sci-Fi. At least Stargate tried to explain how English was so prevalent in the cosmos. (with the Gaou'd taking Earth slaves abroad) :) But that Stargate Atlantis was crap.

Badhbh wrote: »
    At least Stargate tried to explain how English was so prevalent in the cosmos. (with the Gaou'd taking Earth slaves abroad)

yes, but then they'd all be speaking ancient Egyptian. I prefer my own reasoning as to why everyone "speaks" English ;)

I prefer my own reasoning as to why everyone "speaks" English ;)

Care to enlighten us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

You know what really pissed me off about Star Trek?

When someone touches their com badge and says the persons name they want to contact.... that person hears them immediately!! Thats more impressive than transporting. Some times they wouldn't even say their name. I'm watching a show about Space exploration and I seriously couldn't get over the whole com badge thing. How sad.

And just to continue the ridiculous mental problems that plague me...

Why didn't the Puddle jumpers in Atlantis cloak before they enter the stargate instead of afterwards? Did they ever explain that? Seems like a massive mistake to continually make just to endanger the Atlantis teams. Actually don't get me started on Puddle jumpers. The explanation for not using a Puddle jumper to go to every planet is terrible. The foliage is too dense! When there is clearly lots of room around every gate to allow room for the dialling device.

You'd think I'd have half a brain to realise its only a show but damn it I don't. :confused:

Care to enlighten us?

Why yes!

*a-hem*

*shuffles notes*

*adjusts specs*

My hypothesis is that when one is remolecularised exiting a wormhole, the Gate you step through (NOT the one you came from) "fiddles" with your brain so that the people on the planet hear you speak their language, and you hear them speaking yours. So when Zelenka speaks Czech the aliens can understand him. We can't because he's not speaking an "alien" language, just a regional variation on whatever the original language was used on Earth when the Gate was first put there.
    It doesn't translate Goa'uld because the Goa'uld are parasites living inside a host's head and their lickle brain isn't affected by the Gate "fiddle".
    Similarly it didn't translate the "whales" in SGA's Echoes as the words were coming from the whales who've never been through Gate ...
    Thusly Teal'c hears everyone speak Chulakish, Ronon hears everyone speaking Satedan, Teyla hears everyone speaking Athosian, everyone else hears them speak English ...

Well it made sense in my head LOL
    When someone touches their com badge and says the persons name they want to contact.... that person hears them immediately!! Thats more impressive than transporting. Some times they wouldn't even say their name. I'm watching a show about Space exploration and I seriously couldn't get over the whole com badge thing. How sad.

I remember one of the cast of TNG wondering [in real life] why they never switched the things off when they were done talking, which is true! I always assumed that when, say, Picard taps his badge and wants to speak to Riker, everyone hears the call, but only Riker taps his communicator to reply. Technically speaking anyone could answer, but out of politeness they don't.

I'd have thought the same thing happened in Stargate with their radios (which was why SG-1 always left the earwig hanging and not stuck in their ear all the time), but then apparently only "Jennifer"s radio was picking up a message for Dr Keller in SGA's Identity :confused:
    Why didn't the Puddle jumpers in Atlantis cloak before they enter the stargate instead of afterwards? Did they ever explain that?

I've got a feeling they did somewhere, I can't remember what the reasoning was, might have been something about the Gate not being able to properly detect the people inside a cloaked Jumper, therefore they'd not be remolecularised properly.

Or something.
    Actually don't get me started on Puddle jumpers. The explanation for not using a Puddle jumper to go to every planet is terrible. The foliage is too dense! When there is clearly lots of room around every gate to allow room for the dialling device.

That's a damn good question ... I believe it had more to do with the [real life] practicalities of shooting in cramped conditions than for any [fictional] reasons given on screen. Like the teams should really be wearing helmets, but they don't for some real life practicality reasons ... might have been RDA not wanting "helmet hair" and the others followed suit LOL
    You'd think I'd have half a brain to realise its only a show but damn it I don't.

Nah it's not "just a show", it's a way of life! :D

Oh, and dont forget, people were calling Atlantis Stargate: Voyager before they saw that show too...and were proven wrong...don't be too quick to judge Universe until you've finally seen it.:rolleyes:

We were? I seem to remember calling it Stargate: Deep Space Nine ... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

We were? I seem to remember calling it Stargate: Deep Space Nine ... :P

um, yea....okay?

My hypothesis is that when one is remolecularised exiting a wormhole, the Gate you step through (NOT the one you came from) "fiddles" with your brain so that the people on the planet hear you speak their language, and you hear them speaking yours. So when Zelenka speaks Czech the aliens can understand him. We can't because he's not speaking an "alien" language, just a regional variation on whatever the original language was used on Earth when the Gate was first put there.
    It doesn't translate Goa'uld because the Goa'uld are parasites living inside a host's head and their lickle brain isn't affected by the Gate "fiddle".
    Similarly it didn't translate the "whales" in SGA's Echoes as the words were coming from the whales who've never been through Gate ...
    Thusly Teal'c hears everyone speak Chulakish, Ronon hears everyone speaking Satedan, Teyla hears everyone speaking Athosian, everyone else hears them speak English ...

So if you gate to a planet, you start speaking their language. What if instead of gating back to Earth you came in a ship. Would you then be speaking alien to everyone on Earth?

yes, but then they'd all be speaking ancient Egyptian. I prefer my own reasoning as to why everyone "speaks" English ;)

I'm guessing the main reason is budget and casting for TV Stargate.

In Star Trek, the fact that most people spoke 'English' was down to someone usually having a Universal Translator.

However, Stargate is set in the present day and thus without such a device, the alien races would speak their own languages....or at least should. If you remember the original Stargate film, you'll remember that the people of Abados, Ra and his Jaffa all spoke Ancient Egyptian; which Jackson had to translate. This was abandoned when SG1 came along, and thereafter all cast spoke English with some brief Ancient Egyptian lines in the early seasons with Apophis and the Jaffa.

Much of this I believe is done due to budget and time limits the TV show had compared to the film. This, and replacing the cool CGI Jaffa armour with a PEZ-dispenser budget version of it, suggest that they were running to a limited budget. A pity, since I reckon that an impressive enemy who you'll need subtitles for, is a hell of a lot better than a budget enemy with cheesy English lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They were just off by one show :)

Advertisement