Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate rip off Star Trek

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Rawr

I remember one of the cast of TNG wondering [in real life] why they never switched the things off when they were done talking, which is true! I always assumed that when, say, Picard taps his badge and wants to speak to Riker, everyone hears the call, but only Riker taps his communicator to reply. Technically speaking anyone could answer, but out of politeness they don't.

I think I remember from early TNG, the pilot in fact (Encounter at Farpoint), that the communicator was tapped on and then tapped off when finished. That then seemed to be abandoned.

As for everyone hearing all calls...I dunno. I always guessed that there was a slight delay on the reply. It could be that the computer would listen out for the name of the person you wanted, connect the call, and then repeated what you said 2 seconds ago, on their side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I'm sure thats what the official Star Trek reply would be RAWr! That makes sense but of course we all know that every reply to a Hale would be preceeded with a brief pause to give time for the computer to repeat. "Picard to Engineering" and then.... pause.... "La Forge here!" Which just didnt happen.

I wonder why writers don't think about these things or just dont care enough to sort them out. I think its the little things that make a show go from good to brilliant.

Before anyone says I'm watching a show about Space travel and time travel and I should lighten up then don't. I understand that. I just wonder how they get away with it.

P.S. The funniest thing about Encounter at Farpoint was when Riker returned to the Enterprise and he was told to sit down and look at a monitor to catch up on what has been going on and the monitor was showing him the same footage we seen on our tele's. Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm sure thats what the official Star Trek reply would be RAWr! That makes sense but of course we all know that every reply to a Hale would be preceeded with a brief pause to give time for the computer to repeat. "Picard to Engineering" and then.... pause.... "La Forge here!" Which just didnt happen.

Yea...I was thinking that. Given, in my example there would probably only be ~1 second delay for the computer to cop-on and link the call, and repeat the message (which itself only takes about a second or so to say). However, that much time is almost never given in the script. This could be down to time constraints on the writers...or just laziness...we may never know :D
    P.S. The funniest thing about Encounter at Farpoint was when Riker returned to the Enterprise and he was told to sit down and look at a monitor to catch up on what has been going on and the monitor was showing him the same footage we seen on our tele's. Ha.

Ahh yes...just before the vid I almost expected the computer to say:
    'Last time on Star Trek: The Next Generation'
    With Riker spouting 'WTF?' in confusion...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I wonder why writers don't think about these things or just dont care enough to sort them out. I think its the little things that make a show go from good to brilliant.

Before anyone says I'm watching a show about Space travel and time travel and I should lighten up then don't. I understand that. I just wonder how they get away with it.

that's like when they encounter an alien ship. the captain usually says "Hail them"...and about two seconds later, the comm officer says "No reply". come on ...TWO seconds!? i know it's pure fantisy, but even that's pushing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

So if you gate to a planet, you start speaking their language. What if instead of gating back to Earth you came in a ship. Would you then be speaking alien to everyone on Earth?

No, because you don't start speaking their language they can hear you speaking their language ... I did have it all worked out completely logically and explained it to an SF hater who agreed that [what I'd said] made sense ... I've forgotten the whole thing now and probably didn't 'explain' properly in my earlier post :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

um, yea....okay?

So it was only me who called SGA Stargate DS9...? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i guess so:D

Advertisement