Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on WOTLK?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I gotta say im disappointed in the expansion now it may be the fact that i took the wrong alt to level with a rogue or it may be how WOTLK isnt as new and fresh as TBC (it probably never was gonna be anyway). Sure new quests and areas are great but it just doesnt feel as exciting as TBC really. I find myself struggling to leveling my rogue atm i just cant get into the swing of things. Alot in my guild are level 80 and i dont give a monkeys when i get to 80 tbh. People in my guild are clearing heroics already with ease. Im not hardcore by anymeans, i quit raiding a year ago and it seems i was right to do so.

Ive quite a few alts and had some trouble deciding what one to level to 80. I wanted WOTLK to be a new start for me where i could get a new alt as my main (go from my lock to a healer class) and well it seems an impossable task at least in my guild.

Im not even lvl 80 yet, but my DPS sucks as i dont have the T6 gear which most of my guild has. Its embarrassing grouping up with them most of the time due to fact that tanks(well geared BT, SWP) can do more damage than me. I have a holy priest which i like and want to level really, i like healing and i think ill go with that as my main if i can. so much for a gear reset really.

So whats your thoughts on WOTLK?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just hate expansions because they make to grind to max level so you can take on the real content ie raiding and heroics.

When i get to 80 ill be enjoying it a lot more,theres only so much questing i can take and instances dont give much xp so the fastest route to levelling is questing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah after the patch my beloved rogue felt gimped and i didnt see much love coming our way with the 70-80 abilites. So i decided to role DK and im loving it tbh, hes 74 atm and i plowed through outland in like a day or two, lvling is much easier now in outland.

So if your not loving the rogue give the DK a whirl, im loving mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think its fantastic. I really didn't like TBC at all, and the grind to 70 was a nightmare. My main is currently 77 and loving it. IIRC, I was only about 62-63 after 10 days of TBC being out and when I had gotten to 70, I cba gearing her up and tried levelling another char to 70, realising that I hated outland, especially hellfire peninsula.

Right now, I can't decide which alt to level to 80, but can't wait to get it started

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Quests are a ****load better than Vanilla WoW or TBC. Alot less kill 1,500 Murlocs and 1,500 Kobolds. The quests are varied and there are many original ones amongst them - the chain gun in the Crypt, some of the Dragon Flying ones etc etc. Now I am of the level to 80 as fast as possible school, but it's been less of a grind and more varied than in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Absolutely love it, but then again, I can see where you might get frustrated. I've barely touched my rogue (which used to be my main) in ages, and the classes really did get a mix around. I wouldn't worry about you doing less damage than the tank, that's not really as much as a slight against you as it is how blizzard have rejigged tanks. I found myself topping the damage done in BGs as a protection warrior more than once these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I love it so far.

The quests are a million times more interesting and engaging than anything blizzard have done before and its impossible not to soak up the two main storylines of the expansion even if your flying through the quests at light speed. The new phasing technology makes so many cool things possible that i cant wait to see what they have up their sleeves with the real raids still to come in later patches.

As to the gear issues, who cares about what gear people have levelling up. I had pretty much full T6 standard gear and I have to admit that i was dissapointed that i didnt get an proper upgrade till i did the new ring of blood (and thats because my weapon was pretty dire). But as soon as you hit 80 and go heroics or nax10 everything is an upgrade so everyone is back on an even footing then.

One worry is that everything seems a little easy. None of the dungeons presented ANY problems levelling up and while the heroics seem a bit hard (halls of lightning last boss and UP last boss are pretty tricky) it has to be remembered that they seem hard about 5 minutes after dinging 80. In tbc, the nomal instances like shadow labs and shattered halls were difficult and the heroic ones were impossible untill you had geared up properly. Naxx also seems easy compared to kara and by all accounts malygos isnt an enormous challenge. I really hope they up the stakes a little in 3.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Dustaz wrote: »
    I love it so far.

i didnt get an proper upgrade till i did the new ring of blood (and thats because my weapon was pretty dire). But as soon as you hit 80 and go heroics or nax10 everything is an upgrade so everyone is back on an even footing then.

What zone is the new ring of blood in? and what level can you do it at?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

nix wrote: »
    What zone is the new ring of blood in? and what level can you do it at?
    Theres one in Conquest Hold in Grizzly Hills. Might have to be 73 to do it, but I'm not too sure. There's a better one in Zul'Drak that you need to be 75 to do

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Theres one in Conquest Hold in Grizzly Hills. Might have to be 73 to do it, but I'm not too sure. There's a better one in Zul'Drak that you need to be 75 to do

Yeah i loved that quest chain it was great fun to do:) As it was in Nagrand in TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Dustaz wrote: »
    what dustaz said

I agree with most of this here. I rather enjoyed the zones and quests levelling up coupled with the lore aspect thrown in. With respect to the gear I had full t6 also but on the other had was happy to not be concerned about upgrades on the way to 80. Barely look at the quest rewards and just de'ed the lot. Unlike tbc where everything seemed to be an upgrade. This was due to the fact that I was coming from poorly itemized vanilla wow to tbc and also coupled with the fact I finished vanilla wow in aq40.

wrt the heroics I have found them somewhat disappointing from a difficulty perspective and just jumped into them all again compared to tbc where this was not feasible. E.g it feels that even after a short week of gearing up there is no need to CC anything in the heroics just gather it up and spam swipe..

Part of me wonders in addition to this how much more can be put into it to make the encounters unique. When you constantly find yourself explaining to a guildie on a new encounter. yeah its like X ability on boss Y. Move here when this happens. loot. profit.

Saying that however I find the achievements on the heroics and raids a nice option of having the ability to ramp up the difficulty for an individual group while still maintaining accessiblity for pugs/casual players.

wrt the raids have just done naxx10 and sarthion (sp) so far. Again rather easy unfortunately easier then I remember kara being initially. Malygos we worked on but didn't quite click. Need to sort out that p3..

To sum up. So far so good. Looking forward to starting 25mans and tougher content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

The one in conquest holds isnt the new ring of blood, it's similar but not ;)

That quest is activated by doing the quest where you "rescue" the human survivor so that you can follow her etc. It's reasonably far through Conquest Hold quests.

The Ring of Blood like chain, is in Zul'Drak and requires level 75 and a quest from under Dalaran. Well, it might not require it, but I think it doesnt hurt ;)

And yes, personally, I think Wrath is pretty damn amazing. At least thus far. The "new" phasing technology is really being put to great use and ANYONE that hasnt cleared all the quests from Borean Tundra, Howling Fjord and Dragonblight, you are really missing out on a fantastic quest chain.

Finally, instance grinding is the fastest way to level for anyone who still cares. Questing is a slightly slower second, but is infinitely more fun imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

I gave the death knight a go straight away and while the starting zone quests and npc interactions were fun by the time i was finished all i got was a slightly over complicated warrior/paladin/rouge mutant alt that i havent a clue how to play.
    As for northrend it seems like fun but since a hunters pet does not hold agro when your running round in kara/za gear (1 blue) and spec'ed for marksman i just dont fancy playing dodge the mob all day:P
    So im leveling a druid to replace my main.
    The professions are all getting proper rewards for the effort (im looking foward to the flying carpet and mech-hog both of which I will be able to craft) and it will be nice to see blacksmiths able to sell some of their items for a change.

P.S. i dont like beastmastery its not as much fun as marksman in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well I have a warrior and we all know how much they kick ass. Love the expansion, the leveling part is the fun part as you do not need to give up as much time to play. I play every few days for a few hours. I do like it quite a lot. The game gets boring when you have to wipe on the same boss for a few weeks... pfft. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

just hit 71 on my dk, didnt get to play much over the weekend.

went to nr at 68 and went to 70 in about 3 hours played! i was gettin 12k xp for quests in enther and 20100 for quests in nr!!

first impressions of warsong hold were looks decent, but annoying as fook with them spiders or whatever they were spawning every 2 seconds.

i was afraid i was gonna be dissapointed with the expansion, first impressions last and all that but once i got outside warsong hold i fell in love with it, the scenery looks great and the quests are fun.

dk is deffo my new main, the class is just insane. lovin it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

absolutley loving the new expansion. its much more fun and the quests are much more interesting. all horde folks must experience the wrathgate and battle for undercity quests... wow indeed! up to level 77 now and the only things im not enjoying are the changes in professions. contemplating dropping tailoring on my priest just for another gathering profession.

Advertisement