Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for advice on VRT Queries :

Options
  • 22-11-2008 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

( Edit: ^ That should say 'LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON VRT QUERIES".. dunno where the our came from!! lol ) (MODEDIT : fixed it for ya)

Hi, long time browser on here, decided to register in order to post this.
    Hope someone can offer some help. :)

I have just bought a used Uk Saab 95 Biofuel (runs on petrol/bioethanol).
    the car was registered in 2006 and has many extras, leather seats, alloys, cd player etc etc.

This is my first time buying from overseas, I've done as much research as I can but I'm still coming up short on a few issues.
    The 'buying a car from the uk' thread on here has beeen most useful.

So anyway, using the VRT calculator, there doesn't seem to be a similiar model in the list.

This car is eligible for a VRT rebate of up to €2,500 due to it being flexifuel:

http://www.vrt.ie/vrtDetail.php?page=17

I called the VRO in Kilkenny today in order to get a VRT quote and spoke to a nice helpful chap who apologised for keeping me waiting as it took him ages to find the exact model as he had no others on the system to go by apparently. In the end I was quoted about €7,350 which I was disappointed by considering it's a hybrid car and not that old. I asked was this taking into account the rebate that it's eligible for and he told me that he was quite sure the rebate was part of the calculation. :mad:
    I'm worried that because the car is pretty much fully loaded that it could end up costing me a whole lot more VRT of inspected and what was a fantastic deal might turn into just a decent buy because of the amount I'm going to have to shell out to clear.

Questions:

1. I'm confused, seeing as I cannot find a similiar model on the VRT calculation site, I expect the car will need to be inspected.
    How long will this take?

2. Seeing as we're in december '08, would it make more sense to wait til January '09 to register the car as it will be in effect a year older and therefore that much cheaper to clear?

3. On the Rev. Commissioners site it states how you must pay the VRT and register the car within 24 hours of bringing it to Ireland.
    Is this rule enforced? If I turn up to the Vehicle Reg Office in January (see Q.2) does that mean I must provide proof of purchase (including date) which might then make me liable for a fine / VRT penalty of some sort for not declaring the car within the 24 hours?

4. The average CO2 emissions for this model seem to be about 216 which puts it in category F unfortunately which is 32% (32% of OMSP = VRT)
    but seeing as it is a hybrid engine, can I claim that I plan to run it on bioethanol only (which I may well do) and claim that this will mean the CO2 emissions will therefore be in a lower category? - (I can't find out online what the emissions would be for running on bio only)

5. How do I go about appealing the VRT amount?
    Does it consist of getting a price list from a couple of Saab dealers and presenting the black and white figures as proof that the VRO's estimation of the current OMSP is incorrect?
    How long might it take them to reimburse me if I can prove this?

I apologise for the simplistic nature of the above questions, I've searched through many threads on here and elsewhere and like most things one person's experience can differ greatly from others. For example some boards users have said that they have used the Tallaght VR office and that they saved a lot as their cars were not inspected as expected. The car I bought has over 10,000 miles on the clock and has a lot of extras (some standard for that model, some not afaik) whilst I've read othes accounts of people being shafted because they person in the VRO they went to could not match the right model and might have gone for the higher spec in the range to get an idea of the value.

Any/all advice much appreciated. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fourwheels

Bump. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'll answer number 5. as it's one that i know.

To appeal VRT you must first pay it, then fight it off.

Also on the inspection it shouldn't take very long depending on how busy they are etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

check out https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT
    i use that when im looking at VRT

samhail wrote: »
    check out https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT
    i use that when im looking at VRT

Just entered all the options for a flexifuel Saab 9-5 and couldn't get it up. Try yourself OP and see does it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

yeah sorry, i tried too but didnt know exactly what model *shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

2. Waiting till January will not make a massive difference. They usually reduce the price by 1 percent per month. Also it's illegal to wait and I know that the customs guys are out in force at the moment. They even called around to a guy I know who had a UK car in his drive.

5. You have to pay the amount and then write a letter to the VRT Office in Roslare providing information to show that the OSMP is lover that their quoted amount. I sent off a letter last week and am awaiting a response. Once I know whats happening I will let you know.

Thanks for the replies folks.

samhail wrote: »
    yeah sorry, i tried too but didnt know exactly what model *shrugs*

Sorry its a 2006 Saab 2.0 Vector Sport Biopower Flexi-Fuel and it is definitely not listed
    on the VRT site.
    I am also finidng it hard to find similiar models here so am quite worried about getting
    hammered for VRT on it.

fourwheels wrote: »
    Sorry its a 2006 Saab 2.0 Vector Sport Biopower Flexi-Fuel

Did you get a VRT quote from the site?

Did you get a VRT quote from the site?

Nope, when I put in the car's details they have no other records
    and can't calculate it.
    I can put in a normal petrol model with more miles and slightly
    different spec but that is probably pointless as what I'm buying
    will be a different model etc.

• Advertisement

fourwheels wrote: »
    Nope, when I put in the car's details they have no other records
    and can't calculate it.
    I can put in a normal petrol model with more miles and slightly
    different spec but that is probably pointless as what I'm buying
    will be a different model etc.

Fair enough, you'll have to ring them, again.

Advertisement