Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you know about Killygordon?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Smashy, I was just wondering about how much you know of Killygordon and it's history? By that I mean, are you from there? Do you have family from there? Anything that perhaps might link you to there in any way? Forgive me for asking, but I would like to know more about the place and the people that once lived there, and were born there.

Cheers.
    C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Carlo2008 wrote: »
    Hi Smashy, I was just wondering about how much you know of Killygordon and it's history? By that I mean, are you from there? Do you have family from there? Anything that perhaps might link you to there in any way? Forgive me for asking, but I would like to know more about the place and the people that once lived there, and were born there.

Cheers.
    C.
    Holy old threads batman.

I'm not from Killygordon, it's just an area I know fairly well.

You should check out the county archives in Lifford or talk to a local historian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Carlo2008

I guess this is an old thread, but I just googled the village name and this thread came up, and I found it very interesting. Anyway, thanks for the advice Smashey, I will do just as you suggest. I am from the north, Derry infact. But my mother was born in Killygordon, and I am just trying to trace something of our family tree, hence the questions. Again, thankyou, and take it easy.
    C.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You could follow smasheys suggestion and also maybe contact the local churches and schools for records. Maybe even the postmaster in Killygorson PO might also be able to help a bit.

I know a bit about it as I lived there for about 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Carlo2008 wrote: »

Cheers.
    C.

So what is it you are looking for... Killygordon would normally also include the Crossroads village etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've just piggy-backed onto this thread, hope the OP doesn't mind but I'm trying to figure out what parish I'm in:confused:

Apparently, Crossroads is in Killygordon parish in the Derry Diocese, but I don't know if Killygordon parish extends to Killygordon village, which is my postal address. However, it's Stranorlar I'd go to for most things. I need to contact the local priest for something and I'd rather not look like a fool for going to the wrong one -guess who isn't a good mass-goer:o

Any help appreciated guys...

This might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Killygordon village and some surrounding townlands are also part of Killygordon parish. Going up the hill towards Rooskey you are bordering Raphoe diocese.

The parish churches are at the Crossroads and Sessiaghoneill. Contact details. BTW that Derry diocese site lists Doneyloop and Killygordon parishes under Tyrone.

Killygordon parish used to be part of the old parish of Donaghmore (or Donoughmore) along with Castlefin which is now in a separate parish along with Doneyloop (Urney).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thanks guys, I'd already checked the diocese websites, hoping to find a map of the parishes but that was obviously ridiculous of me:rolleyes:

Sesswhat, it's the 'some surrounding townlands' of Killygordon that has me puzzled! My townland is listed on the Donaghmore site you pointed me to, but is that the old parish?

Guess I'm gonna have to quiz my protestant neighbours:o

Ring the priest and tell him you are a lost soul. That will get his attention ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

deemark wrote: »
    Sesswhat, it's the 'some surrounding townlands' of Killygordon that has me puzzled! My townland is listed on the Donaghmore site you pointed me to, but is that the old parish?

Guess I'm gonna have to quiz my protestant neighbours:o

If you are on the Donaghmore site then you are more than likely one of us:D.

Ask an old person, preferably one with a headscarf.

Advertisement